Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What's wrong with BBC iPlayer?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It just won’t download anything for me right now.
    It’s literally downloading 1mb data about every 2 minutes and a 1 hour programme is 400mb or so!
    It was like this last night but seemed better this morning at 6.30am but I didn’t have the time to download anything then
    I’ve checked my Internet which is running at its usual solid 9-9.5 mb/sec
    I’ve restarted my device (iPad) and checked it on another device (iPhone) and its still the same
    So I restarted my modem, did a hard reset on the iPad and reinstalled the app
    No change.
    To date I’ve been able to download an hour programme in a few minutes.

Any ideas? I’m stumped.

Drac

Fine here, probably something your end or your ISP.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Like what? 🙂 what else can I try?

Drac

As it’s on multiple devices I doubt you need a DNS purge, contact your ISP explaining and they’ll look into routing problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh joy. Deep joy. I love ringing Virgin.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s deffo iplayer. I’ve just downloaded a 19mb podcast in 10-20 seconds easy. iPlayer has only just downloaded that much since i stared this thread!

blaggers
    Free Member

PC version got borked by an adobe air update a week or so ago. Might be related to that. I had to reinstall an old version of air to get mine back up and running.

RustySpanner

What’s wrong with BBC iPlayer?

Cheapskates can use it without paying the licence fee.

Drac

If it was that then it would work on iOS devices.

Ask your ISP to check, that’s what they’re for. I’ve just had issues with my ISP and getting access to my own hosting for emails and web hosting. Took them about 12 hours to sort it.

Cheapskates can use it without paying the licence fee.

Well that’s because TV licence for live broadcasting, as it’s transmitted, not for on demand.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well stuff me.
    I had a bit of a faff and tried to download the same programme on my iMac. Same speed. 300kb/s apparently. Crap. Then tried a different show: 9mb/s and an 8min download!
    Tried the faster show on the iPad and again, 8min download
    It seems the BBC are throttling back speeds download speeds of Dragons Den! Every episode of which was sloooooow
    Odd…..

retro83
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Well stuff me.
    I had a bit of a faff and tried to download the same programme on my iMac. Same speed. 300kb/s apparently. Crap. Then tried a different show: 9mb/s and an 8min download!
    Tried the faster show on the iPad and again, 8min download
    It seems the BBC are throttling back speeds download speeds of Dragons Den! Every episode of which was sloooooow
    Odd…..

maybe some shows/channels go on different servers

RustySpanner

Well that’s because TV licence for live broadcasting, as it’s transmitted, not for on demand.

Yes I know.

Terrible, isn’t it?

willard

Think yourself lucky. My broadband is well up the spout so _nothing_ seems to work right now…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s plouged through Later with Jools, Junior Doctors, A David Attenborough show and something else now. I’ll try Dragaons Den again I think

Drac

Dragon’s Den fine here.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just watched something on the I player via Xbox and it streamed perfectly, no buffering at all?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Google I player diagnostics.theres a speed check with the right sort of data and servers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with BBC iPlayer?’ is closed to new replies.