Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's this under my car?!
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Just had a look under the car and noticed something “hanging off”. Looks as though the mesh wire thingy on the left has come off of the other thingy on the right…

Not really sure what either thingy is?! Does anyone know? More importantly I guess: is it going to cost me vast amounts of money to put right or stop me driving 400 miles next week?

I really hope this is not a broken cat as I know they’re expensive.

Cheers

P1030957 by VeeeDubStar, on Flickr

mattk
    Free Member

Thats the flexible section of your exhaust

Personally I wouldn’t drive around with it like that, if it gives you be left with two separate bits of your exhaust hanging loose.

Shouldn’t be expensive, but you need a new mid pipe. The same happened on my old Audi a4, the new mid pipe cost £60 and took the garage 30 mins to fit

patriotpro
    Free Member

What car is it? RWD?

If so it looks like the drive/prop shaft to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Phone your nearest exhaust place and ask how much for the complete thing 🙂
    It will probably be less than that.

With no offence intended going by how you described it I would suggest consulting a professional. Get it checked and fix what needs fixing. From the pi cant tell if it’s a joint or snapped.

dogbert
    Free Member

a bit of heat shielding?

scaredypants

looks like a raffia basket to me – have you recently hit someone outside a wholefood delicatessen ?

andydicko
    Free Member

Webbing from around the exhauxt flexi pipe

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Its just a braided covering from the concertina part of the flexible exhaust coupling – nothing to worry about as long as the exhaust is not blowing – but I’d remove it in case it catches on something while driving.

nickhart
    Free Member

if that’s a prop shaft i’m tall thin and amazing on a bike!
    like trail seeker says in my opinion. worth checking where it’s come from though as it may be the start of the end for that exhaust. in all honesty if you hadn’t looked underneath would you know anything was different?

RustyMac

When new that bit on the right would have looked like this.
    You can buy them seperately but it would be more common to get a new exhaust section.

As other have said if the exhaust is not blowing (making a racket and releasing gasses from other places/holes than the end) then you should be fine. To check this get something and hold it over the end of the exhaust pipe and have a look under the car to see if you have any leaks.

leffeboy

There’s always someone here who knows exactly what’s going on, it’s great

MrOvershoot

nickewen – Member

Just had a look under the car and noticed something “hanging off”. Looks as though the mesh wire thingy on the left has come off of the other thingy on the right…
    You got it in one, its just a flexi cover for the gas holding flexi section. It stops stones etc from lodging between the ribs.

Long term it might be a good idea to replace but for the moment just cut off the dangling bit

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for the information all!

Left thingy now removed and right thingy feels stable as does rest of exhaust system.

No loss of power, rattling etc. so think I’ll chance it for working away next week and get it into my mates garage the week after!

Glad someone knew what was going on cos before 1hr ago I had seen neither of these thingys in my life!

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's this under my car?!’ is closed to new replies.