Home Forums Bike Forum What’s the perfect winter bike?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • What’s the perfect winter bike?
  • abingham

Stooge MK4 in the classifieds. Utterly adore mine.

chiefgrooveguru

“tyres will probably get destroyed too through winter”

Actually I find tyres last ages in the mud because there isn’t enough friction to wear them out!

bikesandboots

Gearbox belt drive hardtail with full mudguards

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

For me some kind of HT with basic 1×10 gearing and other durable unfussy build kit, a well sealed rear hub is a must. Whatever front suspension travel suits where you mostly ride. Some decent mud guards that fit the bike well and I don’t mean gigantic commuter type things. Tyres toothy ones for mud!

I’d also go for a light but robust frame (which will most likely be Alu) as it’s going to be a relatively heavy build. In winter when it’s slow going a reasonable weight helps to make it feel a bit less of a chore. Let’s face it morale is everything in winter!

Decent waterproof clothing you can hose off and mistreat without falling to bits goes without saying.

13thfloormonk

Don’t really think this is what the OP is asking but… a gravelised CX bike, i.e. with slightly fatter tyres and more gears (or not! I would singlespeed mine if I could be bothered and thought I was robust enough…).

You will end up actively seeking out the muddiest trails, dog walking trails around the outskirts of villages become your playground, you’ll go sideways around every corner, you’ll pedal your tits off and tarmac linking sections are just an opportunity for a breather.

I actively plan routes for the winter now, typically with lots of singletrack that’s choked with nettles in the summer. I avoid anything crazy hilly right enough, that’s not what it’s really about for me in winter

nt80085

Just used my Genesis Fortitude race to ride the Dorset 330. Such a great and versatile bike, perfect for winter bimbling.

ajantom

Stooge mk4 with Microshift 12-46 8 speed gears.

*Edit – what’s happened to the insert image function? Not working at all!

intheborders
    Free Member

Something cheap and preferably second-hand that you can ride into the ground and not feel guilty about.

Guilty about – WTAF?

Just ride the bike(s) you own, end of.

abingham

Good shout, although mine is singlespeed and without a dropper for ultimate simplicity (and means I can ride it hard and put it away dirty but retain a clear conscience!).

Best bike I’ve ever owned, and has outlasted plenty of more fancy, bouncy bikes in my garage.

kimbers

29er 1×10 11-46 hardtail/rigid with a dropper, decent brakes & shorty/hillbilly up front

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.