Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What's the oldest full-suss in regular use?
  • TwirlipoftheMists

As the title suggest.

I'm getting my '03 Kona Kikapu fixed up a bit (if the shop can free the seat post). May buy it some new bits when I have some spare money. Kona suspension looks the same now as then.
    I am curious how an '09 model(Kona) would compare, side by side. Has anyone tried?

–Twirlip

njee20
    Free Member

Specialized's FSR design has gone largely unchanged since they first marketed it in 1992 or something!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Giant NRS system (now licensed to Bianchi, I believe) is a pretty old system as well.

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

The orange 5 has got to be a good contender aswell….

stumpy01

I still use my 01 Stumpjumper FSR as my only bike.

Might be replacing it soon with a 2010 Stumpjumper (depends on what the Zesty & Fuel EX8 are like) so it will be interesting to see how they compare…..will be quite a difference, I imagine! Currently got 90mm rear travel and the 2010 version has got 140mm!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

The 3d link on rocky mountain element???

bassspine
    Free Member

just serviced a GT LTS at our place. Amazingly, the bushes were all OK.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange Mr XC which I guess could be an Orange Five, but that was only '99 I believe…

mangoridebike

I'm still happily riding my '04 Kona Dawg, just put some Pikes on the front which has woken it up a little 🙂

140mm on the front and 100m rear travel is great, and I can wind the forks down for the big climbs. I think the frame was designed for 100 front and rear but the slacker angle on the front makes it a lot of fun.

nickc

There's a woman I see quite often riding a mint GT RTS. It's almost showroom condition, don't think it's ever been off road. She just potters 'bout town on it.

Dekerf
    Free Member

I rode my 98 FSR Pro into work this morning 🙂 Strangly enough its not as quick over the same route as my ridgid single speed dekerf!!! Think thats down to the rather draggy original tyres 🙁

Come to think of it, it is still in just out the shop spec!!!

Its one of my newer bikes 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Specialized's FSR design has gone largely unchanged since they first marketed it in 1992 or something!

Well it's gone from 2.5" to a minimum of 3.5" for a start…

Thing is subtle changes in pivot height etc DO make a difference (unlike the [not] vertical axle path which they claim DOES make a difference so they can claim their USP makes a difference)

The old Heckler (then 03 Superlight with a few changes) must be one of the oldest designs that still works and is relatively unchanged. Oh my 03 Heckelr rides just fine thanks and I feel no need to upgrade!

*thinks*

Must add a Boulder to the "rare bikes" thread.

stevehine

A mate of mine still rides my first full susser; a '99 Marin Rock Springs with the Hope C2 upgrade kit. Only change from stock is the Marz Z1 Drop Offs (circa 2001) in tasteful Lime Green to match the yellow frame / blue swing arm colour fest 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

,, my 98 marin mount vision it still has the very early swingingarm that cracked the torque tubes ,,

avdave2

It's no longer in regular use but the only non original part on my 98 Marin East Peak is the headset and that was changed within a week of it being new as the original was some crap system that didn't work. All it needs to be up and running is a new set of cables. If the frame would run disks at the back I'd be very tempted to get it running again. Then again by the time I'd put some decent forks on bought new wheels and brakes and probably a rear it would make more sense to buy a new bike.

steve-t
    Free Member

currently running an '04 s-works enduro as my only bike, kitted out with pikes and up to date kit. handles what i do quite nicely (apart from sometimes rapid bearing / bushing death). i'm tempted by something newer (and, let's be honest, shinier) but not sure i'd get anything much better / lighter without spending loads of cash on something carbon.

Tim
    Free Member

there are some old marins i see in regular use – 97/98 with mega mileage done on them 🙂

There are a few pro-flex's around as well – which must be at least as old but probably older

bigyinn
    Free Member

Still using my enduro pro 04 as the main bike. 99% of the kit on it now replaced. Still see no reason to change it.

Coleman
    Free Member

Another 98 Marin Mount Vision here still going strong.
    As avdave2 said – don't ride it regularly any more due to lack of rear disc mounts.

aP
    Free Member

I have a couple of 1965 Moultons which are still pretty good (can't justify a double pylon new series AM though).

elliptic
    Free Member

My old '03 Kikapu catching the low winter sunlight on Skiddaw:

Lovely light, nimble bike. Still got the frame… maybe I'll rebuild it sometime 🙂

lister

Still going strong, almost all original parts 'part from rear mech, cassette and chain. Love it now as much as ever. Best bike in the world.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my old man still rocks one of these. weighs bout the same as my car!

epicsteve
    Free Member

My main bike is still one of the original 2003 Epic's. The only original components still left on it are the frame and shock now though.

rob1984p
    Free Member

My friend Richard rides an owned since 1996 Cannondale Super V with v brakes regularly he keeps threatening to buy a replacement when he's had his moneys worth!

CountZero

My brother has on loan, and still rides from time to time my '93 Cannondale SuperVee 3000. Mostly original XTR gear, apart from XT V's instead of the canties, which I got off Justin Loretz. The forks were replaced with RS Judy's with Rissie Gem 3" conversion kit to give it the same spec as the Volvo Cannondale Downhill team in Vail in '94. It has Missie Giove's autograph on the frame after she won. (I took the bike to Vail). Later I added a Firestarter dual crown kit to the forks, and a carbon swingarm. Oh, and carbon risers after trashing the original purple Hyperlite bars, 'round about '95-6.
    Weighs around 28lb.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd still be using my Coyote F2 (from about 98 I think) if I hadn't left it in my shed wanting something lighter and bought an NRS (that's on its secod set of bearings instead!). There really is nothing wrong with it, and it has a lovely carbon swingarm.

epicyclo

My 1964 Moulton? Gets ridden offroad, so it qualifies 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Saw a GT LTS thingy 3 months back-wasn't that early 90s?

symes
    Free Member

Still use my 2003 Epic regularly. I use on the road an old M-trax of about 1993 2/3 times a week, one with Ti tubes with the bonded tube/lugs. (not full sus thou)

large418
    Free Member

My 02 Stumpy FSR is still going strong – I race and do loads of Trailquests on it – it's my main bike. Not much of the original left (it's on its 3rd set of forks as they wear out). To be honest, it fits me great, is fast, light, and does everything I want it to – I have only ever felt like it was the wrong bike at places like CyB where it feels like I am too far over the bars for steep descents, but for 95% of the riding I do I am the limiting factor.
    Just bought a 02 Stumpy Hardtail on ebay – absolutely mint and original!

Mattbike

1998 Stab

First year of the Kona Stab designed by Turner
    Refurbished with modern kit it makes a great trail centre bike.

Coleman
    Free Member

I think the prize should be awarded to aP and epicyclo with the mid 60's
    Moultons!

Classic!

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Just had my 2004 5 Spot refinished which is Horst link.Could be considered old! Built up a Heckler with v brakes for my girlfriend.Possibly 98/99? She uses it to potter to the allotment and back!
    Thanx Max

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I still ride my 1999 GT I-Drive, love it, it's bloody brilliant. The i-drive design is largely the same as is used now.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

my '99 GT Idrive is still in regular use with a new owner (mate's g/f). Its 1999 Marzocchi Z3 QR20's are on their original bushes and seals and with regular oil changes still work better than, well, many newer marzocchis. Whoever designed the Idrive was on acid but it really works, I got it as an insurance replacement for a stolen FSR so was a reluctant owner, not an enthusiastic/defensive purchaser, but IMHO it was better than the Horst Link FSR and as good as any full suss design I've ridden.

Lister is that a 5" Stinky, same as my 04 Coiler. Indestructible and great fun.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What's the oldest full-suss in regular use?’ is closed to new replies.