Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • What's the most random thing that's happened to you when riding?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I was out today riding HONC and passed through a field full of sheep. I spotted this sheep lying still with its feet in the air – it looked dead! Pointed it out to the two guys I was riding with and one rode over to see if it was or not (I think he was going to get some photos of him indulging in a bit of sheep necrophyila).

As he got close its legs went mental trying to escape but it was stuck on its back like a turtle. He tried to roll it over but he needed help so we went and helped. Quite funny really. This was one big pregnant sheep!!! All three of us managed to roll it over and it wobbled off just like a weeble.

Still not quite sure if I believe I've "rolled a sheep" today but I did!! 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Found a ferret at about 2300 on a very cold and windy part of the south downs a few years ago. Chased her down, coaxed her out the hole she was hiding in, popped her in my rucksack where she promptly went to sleep and took her home.

nuke

Funnily enough I had a fairly random thing happen yesterday…I was cycling at a fair speed down a bridleway when I startled a magpie flying over which proceeded to drop what it had in it's beak on me which happened to be a snake!

Well, as it turned out, I think it was a slow worm but it scared the crap out of me plus I'm superstitious anyway ("one for sorrow…etc"). Got stung by a bee later on the cycle.

Bunnyhop

Yep sheep on its back is bad. You did the right thing there, otherwise it would've been dead, soon.

allthegear
    Free Member

yep – the sheep stuck on it's back is "rigged". It's where Black Sheep Breweries gets the name Riggwelter from for their strong beer (and why the logo is a sheep on it's back…)

pitduck
    Free Member

sheep on its back is bad mkay 😆

scaredypants

sheep on its back is flirting, no ?

allthegear
    Free Member

(God, I know some pointless facts…)

solamanda
    Free Member

Passed an Italian couple shagging alongside some singletrack! I nearly crashed 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Cycling on back roads and through some woods on the roadbike and shouted woohoo from the serotonin hit.

Then this couple jumped up and fiddled with their clothes…I shouted sorry! 😈

(they probably thought I could see them when I didn't know they were there)

Strangelove
    Free Member

How did you know they were Italian? Their shoes?

solamanda
    Free Member

I was in Italy.

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps they were eating pizza at the same time ?

allthepies
    Free Member

>I was in Italy.

Is Italy only full of Italians ? 😯

LeeW

Riding along a bridleway late one night I realised there was a badger running about 20-30 feet in front of me in the same direction.

Edit – I knew it was a badger cos I was in badger land.

JAM29er
    Free Member

Canal at night seems to be a focus of "unusual" activities. Nearly hit a squatting woman (peeing) one dark night. Saw another woman bent over a bridge being given "a good seeing too" early evening. Errr swarm of bats (literally dozens) seemingly in attack mode. Vauxhall Astra being taught to swim by some thoughtful hoodies (Not all on one ride mind)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Rode past a stranger who called my name today. Or was it really a stranger?

LeeW

Did you still have your name badge on?

Xan
    Free Member

On a local trail, this winter in the heavy snow. Came taring round the corner to see an elderly couples with the guy on his hunkers right at the side of the trail taking a s*@t. Not a plesent sight.

saxabar
    Free Member

Maybe not the most random, but on Saturday I came across someone's dentures. Perhaps not that odd considering I was just outside of Merthyr 😉

borwens
    Free Member

the sheep thing depends on where u are, my folks used t call it kessened….

scaredypants

How did you know they were Italian?

she 'overed three inches above the trail in ecstasy ??

jedi

i rode past a couple having sex. she was on top and i went to high5 her as i rode past. she looked shocked 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Strangelove – Member

She was good looking…

beardie
    Free Member

A deer antler (full size fellow type) fell out of a tree just missing my nipper who was resting underneath at the time !

stevomcd
    Free Member

Was on my snowboard rather than my bike, but did once find an unexploded bomb…

samuri
    Free Member

I'm trying hard to choose between riding right through the middle of a load of orcs and elves fighting, or having a seat rammed so hard up my arse it bled for a week.

poppa
    Free Member

@samuri

Are you having a recollection of a previous encounter, or deciding how to spend your sunday evening?!

samuri
    Free Member

lol, good point. Back in a minute.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Had an Owl fly five feet on my left one night on some wooded single track, stayed with me for 200-300 m.
    Another time heard a crashing noise on the steep hillside above me whilst going pretty fast on a path contouring the hill and a herd on deer came crashing through just in front, needed to brake, felt I needed to duck and one jumped over me.
    Like some of earlier encounters i have have come across a few pairs at 'it' on the trail, one car was reversed up into a bridle way with out of each side belonging to the same person -never did work out what they were doing.

spacemonkey

1) 5-6 years ago on the South Downs near Chanctonbury Ring: I passed an old dear (gypsy looking) having a kip by the side of the trail with her rickety old bike beside her.
    2) 1 year ago in a sunny field in the middle of nowhere in Surrey: was out for an early evening run and passed a besuited middle-aged man trying (or pretending?) to get to sleep on his pillow (I kid you not) next to his two labradors.
    3) 1 year ago on North Downs near Ranmore: gave directions to a couple of American bible-bashing weirdos who were cycling from Guildford to Dorking to attend a Church gathering – what made it weird was they had a German Shepherd for company … and they were even contemplating cycling along the A25 with the dog in tow!

meehaja
    Free Member

on the same road ride in north yorkshire..

young child in full shorts, blazer and school cap, running along the side of the road making aeroplane noises. 15 miles from the nearest obvious settlement.

an owl flew along side me for a good few minutes, and kept looking at me. Mindy you, I was grinning like an idiot at riding with an owl!

came across a very large lorry, with a large tank on the bank (like army tank, not cylinder) stuck down a very narrow road. Driver asked directions to "the motorway". I can only think of the A1 near york, and that was a long way away. offered directions to nearest barracks (my old base) he seemd to be less interested in this info.

then I rode back to my hotel and my room was clean and the beer wasn't overpriced and flat, so truely a strange day.

dyna-ti

Camping in Glen Nevis one winter[the one where it was -25 .i was bivvy'd in deep snow but had cleared about a 6' area.i'd settled down for the night when i heard whispering noises coming from nearby.
    Glen Nevis -Dead of winter,dead of night and pitch black
    But i can hear whispering 😯
    and its close to me
    I nearly had a heart failure when i see[barely] a large black shape on the ground about 5' from me moving.
    F'king TA on some sort of large night exercise.they had bedded down without me noticing.i guess the noise had woken me and by the time i was fully conscious they'd quietened down briefly
    😆 2 years off the life of me old ticker 😆

Dancake
    Free Member

3 of us were on a night ride at about 1.00AM and were rather shocked to see a young lady on a mobile phone seemingly in the middle of no-where in the pitch dark.

Dont know what surprised me more; thae fact that she was there or the fact that 3 dudes with mega bright lights riding straight at her didnt even throw her of her conversational stride

Turns out there was a campsite nearby but of course i didnt know this at the time!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I once hit a chain across a trail and was knocked off my bike. When I came to a stop / opened my eyes there was a goat staring at me, about 2 ft from my face to its. It had one end of the chain attached to a collar round it's neck!

Never seen anyone having sex. Given that I live between promiscuous France and Catholic Spain it's bound to happen soon.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Going along the south downs a couple of years ago and walking towards me is a naked man, nothing on except rucksack and walking boots! 😯

doug_basqueMTB.com

The Naked Rambler?? I saw him walking along the high street here in France. We couldn't help giggling a bit!

hainey
    Free Member

Got attacked by a Buzzard last year, that was pretty random.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

'The Naked Rambler' yeah, I remember there was a guy who insisted on rambling naked, he made the news at the time, so he made it into France, could well have been heading to the ferry at newhaven when I saw him then, there was a few smirks on the other walkers around at the time and it made me giggle … wonder where he is now?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Well, last summer he got arrested in San Sebastian. He was released but ejected from Spain and headed to France because they're a bit more lenient. I don't know what happened to him after that but he was in all the papers in this part of Spain!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘What's the most random thing that's happened to you when riding?’ is closed to new replies.