Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What’s the most obscene amount you have spent on…
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

…something non – bike related? (but NOT a house or car)

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Every penny I have ever earned was wasted on stuff other than bikes and cars*

*except the money I spent on the lovely MrsWCA

Flaperon

£75,000 on a training course.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Flaperon – did it work out?

Flaperon

Sort of – I actually finished the two year course today and now hold a frozen airline transport pilots licence. Unfortunately, there are no jobs going in the aviation industry and I’ve discovered to my detriment that having something like this on your CV is a major problem when applying for jobs elsewhere, since it’s blatantly obvious that I’m going to piss off to an airline once the industry starts to recover…

Right now I’d work anywhere, doing anything, and I’m trying to think of the best way to explain the 2 year gap on my CV. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

300 quid on computer bits.No, scratch that – my last kite was 360 second hand.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve paid over a grand for holidays that were less than wonderful. We’re just about to buy a conservatory which is over 10k. I’m still wringing my hands on spending that much money (I’ve bought a car once that cost more than that but it is an absolutely fantastic car), the conservatory will hopefully be better than that)

I think the biggest waste of money I’ve spent is the cars at our wedding. 500 frigging quid for a car and a bloke who was there no more than 30 minutes and drove a whole 2 miles.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Operations on my pets. Just don’t ask.

Harry_the_Spider

£105k on gutting, extending and rebuilding a house… and now we want to move!

woffle
    Free Member

aside from the usual (wedding / cars / patios / driveways etc)

a four figure sum on a painting. Back in the days of disposable income before we had a house to renovate and no kids. Sigh.

(it’s since gone up in value since we bought it, never sell it though).

Soup
    Free Member

Spent a tenner on an inner tube the other day. Just a normal continental tube. Had no choice. Will never spend another penny in that shop.

BlingBling
    Free Member

£700 on a fishing pole.
    I hated fishing the pole though so left it in the bag and sold it for about £250 seven years later when I remembered I still had it.

kiwijohn

$3k on the home entertainment, with 25% off at that. You can’t beat a big plasma 🙂

jimmy

wow, take out biking, house & car and I haven’t spent much on anything…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

$30 on a universal plug adaptor at SFO. Oh and £5 for 10mins parking at Preswick arport.

Albanach
    Free Member

£5 for 10mins parking at Preswick arport.

Scandalous!!!!!

GJP
    Free Member

I once spent $2500 on an Armani suit for a friend’s wedding and was mistaken as a Railway Porter by a child at Croydon station. I was less than chuffed.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

GJP, really, just for the wedding, why?
    *I can’t get my head around that one*

nukeproof
    Free Member

Silly money on “artists prints”…young, naive, double income, no kids. Wish I’d spent it on holidays or bikes…or bike holidays. 😥

scuttler

Three grand for a trip out to New York and then back on Concorde (back only – out on 767) in the run up to its retirement. Well worth it though – works out about 10 quid a minute.

Spent more on useful stuff but being a tight Yorkshire git this is well beyond my normal spending tolerances. Ignorantly helped myself to the headphones though – ahem Sennheisers worth about 60 quid :-0

BillMC

£350 on a pair of brogues

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Looks in cellar*…..

Erm. 😳

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Why the blushing Flash – has the cost of kitting out the cellar for the more discerning pervert gone through the roof ?

Free Member

Hmmm….

Approx £15-20K on a years worth of ‘going out’ (clubbing) and I partied for 2.5 years before having some serious burnout…

All I have now is a less than perfect memory, and a rather interesting/colourful past.

Then there is the £100+ bottles of single malt, the £2k p/a car insurance (that was 8 years ago) the hang glider I had (for a week, then sold it again as I couldn’t store it/transport it, the Calibra turbo and the custom hybrid turbo I had built, that was around a grand…

Then I remember giving my bro’ £300-ish in Czech cash for him to have a ‘high-class’ hooker…

All is different now though ;o)) I’m far, far more grown up and sensible!

Jt

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

£300 on a long board (ahem skateboard) , £13k on about 0.05 acres of land that I needed 🙁 though believe I will make money in the end -its the only way i could justify it!)

mboy
    Free Member

£5400 on a motorbike

Approx £4k on hifi and DJ equipment over a few years

Got about £10k invested in vinyl (over about an 8 year period) in total. Don’t even use it any more and could barely give it away now that I need rid as I need to slim down/move on etc. (and I only use CD’s for DJing these days anyway)

£500 odd on a snowboard/boots/bindings some years ago

£140 on a pair of Sennheiser Headphones (the more expensive version of the ones that Scuttler got on his Concorde trip!), and £80 on a Sennheiser Mic.

Few hundred quid on sunglasses over the years too (got 4 pairs of Oakleys, couple of pairs of Arnette’s, 4 pairs of Smiths, had 2 pairs of Bolle’s but lost them a while ago though)… Thankfully didn’t pay RRP for any of them though!

£1300 on a MacBookPro. £700 on Logic Pro 7 Software to go on the MacBookPro (then they released 8 6 months later, and cut the RRP in half!).

2 Cricket bats, one worth £200, the other worth £250. Thankfully got BIG discount on both of them though. Rest of my cricket equipment wasn’t cheap though in all, pads/gloves/helmet/bag etc. all totalled well over £200.

Ping Golf Clubs worth about £500 odd brand new. And I’ve used them maybe 6 or 8 times in all! They were a gift to me though.

And before anybody says it, yes, I do have some VERY expensive hobbies. Not least of which has been mountain biking! Though in fairness, over the years DJing has probably more than paid for itself.

All pales into insignificance though when I look at some of my friends getting married this year, spending more than £20k on one day of your life FFS!

colnagokid

mboy all that cash spent dont seam a waste to me. Im sure when you bought a bat for £200 you thought it was a wise buy, and you could afford it, so why worry? You might think now it was a bit daft but we all do that! Oh and money spent on music is never a waste!!!
    Me biggest amount wasted, £10k on a wedding I never really wanted that lasted a year!

mboy
    Free Member

mboy all that cash spent dont seam a waste to me. Im sure when you bought a bat for £200 you thought it was a wise buy, and you could afford it, so why worry? You might think now it was a bit daft but we all do that! Oh and money spent on music is never a waste!!!
    Me biggest amount wasted, £10k on a wedding I never really wanted that lasted a year!

I’ve had good use out of everything I’ve spent money on. So whilst I’m skint (and jobless) and could do with some money right now, I don’t regret having spent any of it. I would however be kicking myself if I had spent £10k on a wedding and only stayed married for a year! 😉 Haha, sorry, shouldn’t laugh, my comiserations etc.

Incidentally, £200 cricket bat cost me about £100 in the end of season sale. The level I play at I couldn’t really justify spending more than that to be honest.

Money spent on music is indeed not a waste. I’d just like to be able to afford to house all my vinyl from now on though (parents selling their house, so won’t have any storage space for it any more, and I don’t play it any more either). No regrets on it, I’d just like to be able to find a new loving home for it ASAP, even if I don’t get much money for it at all!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Probably £2k on a CD player and mixer when I was mixing or £1500 on a picture of my daughter for the living room.

Sold the DJ kit about 3 years later for the same price I bought it for and I love the picture. No regrets all in all.

I did fund my wifes business which has / will have cost me about £40k by the time we have paid the debts off but she learnt a lot and so have I. so only minor regrets there.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

£800 on a camera lens

soops
    Free Member

£900 on a Ruby which got valued at £1100 the day after. Bonus!! 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

$1150 on a tee shirt…

okay it was actually a guided biking holiday but I dislocated a finger and all I got to show for it was the above.

johni
    Free Member

1st wedding – £16k
    1st Divorce – £32k + car
    2nd Wedding – £13k

votchy
    Free Member

£6.5k on fishing tackle, now most of it sits in the garage unused, £1650 of that was for a 16m pole, sold last year for £450.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

£4.98 on a tea and a coffee at the motorway services yesterday.

alwyn
    Free Member

Classic car – around £2,000 and going up
    Motorbike – £1,500
    Pair of jeans – £160

That’s about it I hope.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Hmmm. Probably the best part of £1000 on a good-quality air-rifle and related accessories.
    It hides in the back of my wardrobe as the mother of my child has very strong opinions about such things (actually, now I think about it, she has strong opinions on every-bloody-thing), and I don’t often get a chance/make an opportunity to use it.

Then there’s the £200 Homemix double CD ‘mixing desk’ I bought when I had pretensions of being a house DJ – i.e. a DJ in my own house……what an utter **** I looked like when I had it set up on the ****’ ironing board! Hahahaha. Ya gotta laugh.
    That keeps the gun company in the wardrobe now.

Collectively, tons of cash on records/tapes/CDs that never get listened to, and the media players that were bought to play them on – even the Minidisc player….I mean WTF? Where is that, anyway?

There’s got to be more. Clothing, perhaps. That’s alaways good for a laugh due to the vagaries of fashion and ‘style’.

Good thread, by the way (no pun intended after last sentence)

coffeeking
    Free Member

It hides in the back of my wardrobe

Wont be long before the kid finds it. Trust me, I found my brothers despite only being 6 and it being locked in a box on the top shelf of the wardrobe 😉

GW
    Free Member

150k+ on booze n drugs

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Ping driver £250
    putter £120
    Trainers £100
    Jeans £80
    £800+ on a bmx a little uneccesary
    £60 dancing shoes, don’t ask

Oh nearly forgot, how much for a room full of cd’s and vinyl

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What’s the most obscene amount you have spent on…’ is closed to new replies.