Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What's the go to sealant nowadays?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Is there a better alternative to Stans as I find it leaves a messy, hard to clean film on the inside.

simondbarnes

Stans

pcosmic
    Free Member

nah everyone says Stans dries up too quick

Stoner
    Free Member

I make my own with antifreeze and modellers liquid latex. It still dries up, but I dont really get any punctures with it. A lot cheaper than stans, and not sure what benefit stans would be to me. Although I dont get tears or snakebites in my tyres, just the odd thorn.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Orange Endurance for the last 3 months or so

Northwind

pcosmic – Member

I don’t. It can dry up pretty quick in really porous tyres but usually it’s not an issue ime

Bigmantrials

I was looking at this the other week, as I was about to fit a new tyre and had no sealant, I ended up ordering Stans again, it was the cheapest for the largest bottle, about £23 from nextdaytyres, and when i actually removed my old tyre for the first time in almost 6 months the previous Stans was still liquid and no stanimals present, and had been sealing punctures still, so had no reason to use anything else.

pickle
    Free Member

Orange regular

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m about to give Joe’s a try which is about 2/3 of the price, I’ll report back (in about six months I guess!)

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve been using Joes for about 6months now after I was suspicious Stans fluid was nowhere near as good as it used to be.

It’s doing it’s job so far! I think I’ll be sticking to Joes over Stans from now on.

tymbian
    Free Member

What i dont loke about Stans is even though heres still liquid if I go to swap tyres there a latex film all around the inside of the tyre thats an absolute pain to remove..

jamesfts
    Free Member

What i dont loke about Stans is even though heres still liquid if I go to swap tyres there a latex film all around the inside of the tyre thats an absolute pain to remove..

Genuine question – why bothering to remove it?

gelert
    Free Member

Stans Race. 7 months and counting on two bikes. Witnessed a few puncture seals. Great stuff.

Normal Stans is too thin and watery – squirting out of puncture holes and not sealing. It let me down too many times.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Exactly, leave it on, only thing I remove is big hard blobs of it on the bead as it’ll affect seating when I refit.

The new Stans race sealant has been faultless here thus far btw.

garage-dweller

I use the Slime at least in part because the LBS usually has it but also I’ve found its ok with co2 and has a decent life in the tyre.

Still leaves that film inside the tyre but why would you bother removing it?

faustus

Wasn’t there another thread with people using watered down 4×4 tyre sealant from agricultural stores? Big bottles for not much money..

jimdubleyou

Orange Endurance for the last 3 months or so

Same.

Actually running both on my MTB at the moment as I had some Stans left over.

Cross/commuter is full orange. Still sounds like it’s sloshing around in there so no need to change yet.

stevextc
    Free Member

Stans in 1 litre isn’t that expensive I’d change… and works for me
    Last year no punctures at all that didn’t seal…. on both my bike and kids

I’d need a convincing argument to change or be somewhere with no access to Stans and need sealant!

angeldust
    Free Member

Nope I’ve not used anything that lasts any longer

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Exactly, leave it on, only thing I remove is big hard blobs of it on the bead as it’ll affect seating when I refit.

Nobeer – in our damp west coast environment, how often do you top up the sealant, and by how much each time ?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just changed a tyre on my 650+ after just over a year , no punctures in that time and liquid sealant still sloshing about in the old tyre . Nothing better than Stans IMO .

Yak

Stans is good and only dries up quickly in really porous tyres. I swap tyres a lot usually anyway, so it’s not an issue. It’s only over winter when I leave a set on, and then do a check at c3months, topping up if needed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nobeer – in our damp west coast environment, how often do you top up the sealant, and by how much each time ?

All depends. When I used to use spesh tyres, mibbe 4 months at a time, as the liquid (water) from the stans seems to leech through the sidewalls.

Now using a mixture of Mary’s and WTB tyres, they are far better in the sidewall so the stans stays the way it should. Frinstance, fitted a MM to the Capra last June, haven’t had to top up at all. That Mary isn’t far off being past it’s best, so I’ll be changing it shortly, the gloop has lasted the life of the tyre (It’s a suoergravity vertstar, so very soft and wears pretty quickly, but it’s a tradeoff I take for the grip it gives).

New stans race stuff can’t be fired in through the presta, so I pop a bead off, mibbe 10 inches, it’s still easy enough and can be re-inflated with the track pump.

Edit – Iain, I generally use 2 of the red capfulls on a new tyre.

iainc

cheers nobeer

ads678

Can you reuse the sealant if it’s still liquid when changing a tyre, or is best to bin it and start again?

Well, obviously it’d be better to bin it and start again but is it ok to reuse or will it kill me to death in a ball of fire latex!!

Yak

I reuse it. You’ll be topping it up too, so it’s maybe half old stuff at the very most.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I reuse*.

Haven’t been killed to death by later yet.

*sometimes with a bit of a top up.

Northwind

I reuse it too (old aerosol can lid makes a perfect scoop btw)

ads678

Excellent, I’ve only done tubeless twice and last time i changed tyres* I binned it but i’ll reuse and top up from now on then. Cheers.

*After about a year and the stans fluid was still liquid BTW.

juanghia
    Free Member

Stans Regular with a bit of glitter.

I don’t know if it works but I reckon I’ll look Absolutely Fab if I slash a tyre.

(If you do reuse don’t forget to scrape the tyre as much as possible otherwise it’s just liquid)

patriotpro
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    I make my own with antifreeze and modellers liquid latex. It still dries up, but I dont really get any punctures with it. A lot cheaper than stans, and not sure what benefit stans would be to me. Although I dont get tears or snakebites in my tyres, just the odd thorn.

Love to know the recipe and dilution ratio to that formula please?

Stoner
    Free Member

about …..that much….. latex, mixed with about ….so much….. antifreeze!

The latex is thick single cream consistency, I just add about 1/5 to 1/4 again of glycol to loosen it a bit more and keep it wet.

Latex costs about £12/Litre

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m with Stoner. Art latex, but I use screenwash because some antifreeze make the latex turn into a ball of horribleness. Mix to suit tyres/conditions. About 2/3 latex and 1/3 screenwash seems to suit. Throw in a bit of playpit sand. Not had a puncture all year and stuff stays liquid. Like a few have said I think how long it stays liquid is more to do with the tyres porousity.

Tracey

We use Stans on ours and Stans Race on Abigales.

I posted this last time

Do them all every three months, valve core out and top up with an old stans bottle, core back in, re inflate and spin wheel. Takes us about a hour to do nine bikes. All done at the same time so we don’t miss one. Even if we have had to replace a tyre in between it still gets done at the same time.

Was building up a new frame last night with bits from the back of the garage. Using Abigales old Roval carbons which still had the Buthcher and Purgatory Grids fitted. The wheels hadnt been used or moved in 12 months, popped the rim to check and still loads in it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    about …..that much….. latex, mixed with about ….so much….. antifreeze!

The latex is thick single cream consistency, I just add about 1/5 to 1/4 again of glycol to loosen it a bit more and keep it wet.

Latex costs about £12/Litre

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    teamslug – Member
    I’m with Stoner. Art latex, but I use screenwash because some antifreeze make the latex turn into a ball of horribleness. Mix to suit tyres/conditions. About 2/3 latex and 1/3 screenwash seems to suit. Throw in a bit of playpit sand. Not had a puncture all year and stuff stays liquid. Like a few have said I think how long it stays liquid is more to do with the tyres porousity.

Cheers both. So http://darrantchemicals.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106&gclid=CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblTfn1KuR5M8vew86N_GTNE6UezwWcVgmtBNObQm983txoCo8Pw_wcB
    and
    https://www.liquidlatex.direct/shop.php#!/500ml-Green-Liquid-Latex/p/47008097/category=11951077
    ?

jonnyboi

I find I have to change mine every three months, but my schwalbe tyres seem particularly porous. In a hot spell I found the stans had completely separated and I was left with a clear oily fluid.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I reuse it too (old aerosol can lid makes a perfect scoop btw)

A one shot stans bottle with nozzle can be used to soook it all back up then insert through valve again.

Me tightwad? At yhis rate my bottle of joes will be goid for the next 20 years

andyl
    Free Member

Going to try the stuff from the agricultural storenext. £8.50 a bottle or something and needs a bit of dilution as it’s meant for ATVs.

Was mentioned the other week.

GavinB

I’ve been using Just Riding Along’s Wheel Milk for years now. They’ve been doing tubeless stuff in the UK longer than most, and as it’s their own brand stuff is a lot cheaper than Stans, so £15 for a litre bottle.

Wheel Milk

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What's the go to sealant nowadays?’ is closed to new replies.