Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's the deal with these "money for gold" adverts/people..?
  • DrP

First I had a naff little note through the door asking for all our 'old gold' – I thought I was in the 19th century I did….
    But then they started on the TV with chavvy adverts, posters stuck up on street lamps….

Is some megalomaniac somewhere stockpiling all the gold for a giant golden space rocket? Or is it just the credit crunch and people are flogging granny's heir looms?

DrP

tomzo
    Free Member

The latter- pay people low prices cos they need the money. Dunno if its any good. On a similar note, I'd like to recommend mazuma mobile who offer the same service but for mobile phones. Sold 4 broken phones for £20 which is more than what they go for on ebay!

tomzo
    Free Member

double post.

falkirk-mark

is it not the case that precious metals are at a good price and these places are an easy place to get them cheap

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tomzo, I keep meaning to hawk my old mobiles on Mazuma. Good to hear a positive.

These goldmongers – recession driven greed.

I was in one of the jewellers I use in Salisbury the other day. A smart place, used by smart people. In walked tattoo-clad, vest wearing chavs trying to hawk their Nan's gold. It was at once sad and touching. Sad because the jewellery that had belonged to their forebears meant nothing to them but a monetary value. Touching because they had just had their second child and needed the money. They were a lovely couple, really they were. We chatted for a while and well, I can only wish the best of good luck to them and their children (great smile coming from the pram of the second!)

These gold-magpies on the TV are pandering only to the sad side of that story. They know nothing of the touching.

barca
    Free Member

Bollacks to all that Captain! How much did they get for the gold?

Kahurangi

Can't find a link but basically

1. they massively undervalue your gold
    2. in the T&C's you have an incredibly short time-frame to reject this offer and have it returned. apparently they will frank the letter then hold onto it to give you less than the supposed amount of time.
    3. if you phone and hassle and push you may get something close to what it's worth

WTF
    Free Member

Cashing in on a recession.

HTH

skidartist
    Free Member

I find the idea of posting stuff off a bit alarming – if you've got a bit of old ratner you want to cash in and take it to a shop, they can make you and offer for it and you can decide on spot whether the offer is good enough or not, if its not a good enough offer – walk away. With these Ann Diamond endorsed adverts you post of your stuff and they send you a cheque – but for how much? £1000? 30p? Doesn't matter seemingly, you'll just get what you're given and the deal is done.

Compared to pawnbrokers/cash converters who do at least make a fairly concerted effort to ensure that the goods they are offered are legit, its a pretty flimsy transaction, they've obviously got no qualms about how hot the stuff they are sent might be.

Anyway, I've got a new business idea. Post me you bike and by return of post I'll send you a cheque for any amount that I see fit

skidartist
    Free Member

Is some megalomaniac somewhere stockpiling all the gold for a giant golden space rocket?

Yes. Its Simon Ralli

Or Mr T

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's the deal with these "money for gold" adverts/people..?’ is closed to new replies.