• This topic has 108 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Whats the best 'feeling' in sport?
  • McHamish
    Free Member

Snowboarding on powder.

Yeah, this is nice. We had untracked powder days on this seasons boarding trip…I was grinning like a loon while silently whooshing though floaty powder.

Boxing.. when you smash the hell out of each other then shake hands and hug at the end.

This is also good…when I used to Thai box, a good sparring session was satisfying. Sparring hard with people who know how not to get carried away is satisfying…on the other hand, sparring with people who don’t know how to control their temper or throw haymakers isn’t so much fun.

Saying that though, I sparred with a big guy at the gym years ago who was throwing haymakers – if he connected it would have hurt. I usually hate this and I count the seconds till I can change partners. But for some reason I was zen like calm, and just out boxed him…which wound him up even more. I enjoyed that.

brooess
    Free Member

Too many to think of, but if you could take that combination of adrenaline, dopamine and endorphins and inject it into people and explain this is how it feels when sport goes right, and they could have this feeling everyday if they did some sport, I suspect you’d be able to solve the obesity crisis pretty swiftly 😀

For me, one of the biggest benefits of sport right now is the ability to get away from all the attention-grabbing screens we have in our lives and just get out and be physical in the real world. (yes I get the irony of posting that on a mountain bike forum!)

wrecker
    Free Member

Getting away with it. Too fast or in bad shape into a feature, just saving it as the adrenaline spikes and then riding on laughing and swearing.
    Or the moment when you’re at the top of something you’re not quite sure about. The knot in your stomach. The apprehension, then the release as you roll down it anyway, concentrate and hope for the best.

Richie_B

The moment one step beyond no return on a climb when your mind is totally focused (The worst feeling is when your mind refuses to focus and you know that the next five-ten minutes are going to be an absolute nightmare)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Seems to be a common theme across a lot of sports of that zen like calm feeling despite everything else thats going on. Love that feeling.

Too many to think of, but if you could take that combination of adrenaline, dopamine and endorphins and inject it into people and explain this is how it feels when sport goes right, and they could have this feeling everyday if they did some sport, I suspect you’d be able to solve the obesity crisis pretty swiftly

Bingo, I posted similar last week after coming back from a good ride and looking around at glum people out shopping and wondering why they don’t do something more ‘involving’

tiggs121
    Free Member

Just doing something well – you know when you think “that’s perfect”.

Could be anything – landing a jump, railing a berm, super smooth ski turn, flushing an 8 iron and stopping it dead next to the pin, perfect strike and the ball hits the top corner with the keeper nowhere…that sort of thing.

Doesn’t happen often though…except the 8 iron – I can still manage that.

_tom_
    Free Member

They all have there merits but without a doubt the best feeling for me comes from riding a set of proper BMX style jump trails.

Yep completely agree 🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I love the feeling of going out with a group for a few hours on Sunday morning on the MTBs then heading back to town to go to the cafe for lunch and seeing people stood outside the pub smoking and thinking I’m so glad I have my life not yours .

castanea
    Free Member

Flow.

grum
    Free Member

I love the feeling of going out with a group for a few hours on Sunday morning on the MTBs then heading back to town to go to the cafe for lunch and seeing people stood outside the pub smoking and thinking I’m so glad I have my life not yours .

Bingo, I posted similar last week after coming back from a good ride and looking around at glum people out shopping and wondering why they don’t do something more ‘involving’

The greatest feeling in sport – smug superiority. 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

The greatest feeling in sport – smug superiority.

well that is the whole point of competitive sport glumdrops.

Lose with dignity, win with grace. And then crow a bit 🙂

grum
    Free Member

well that is the whole point of competitive sport glumdrops.

Lose with dignity, win with grace. And then crow a bit

I enjoy competitive sport – nowt wrong with that. However both those posts weren’t about competitive sport were they?

They were just about thinking that going out riding a bike makes you better than everyone else. (Obviously this is actually true, but it’s not cool to crow about it. 😉 )

_tom_
    Free Member

You can go to the pub after a ride if you want, you know.

gatsby
    Free Member

Surely it’s being able to find a technical error on an internet forum post and point it out with a smug condescending post…

Or better still, to post an utterly meaningless “FTFY” as if it’s still 2008.

🙄

Stevet1
    Free Member

The greatest feeling in sport – smug superiority.

[/quote]Apologies if I came across as being smug but I genuinely don’t get why more people don’t seek out the natural highs that are on offer and being discussed here. Anyway I digress.

milky1980
    Free Member

Another one who’s addicted to that zen-like feeling, but in karts.

Used to race when I was young and nothing beats linking together a series of corners (or a whole lap) effortlessly and smoothly with no twitches or corrections. Feels so smooth and is usually fast too!! Not overly competitive so the ‘winning’ feeling was strange, especially when the other drivers were upset at losing! Having a really good fight with another driver all race comes a really close second, that knowing handshake afterwards when you’ve both enjoyed it regardless of who won out is really good.

BigJohn

I quite like the feeling when you feel the sand beneath your feet after having been windsurfing a bit too long in offshore conditions and are knackered.

As they say, it’s better to be on the beach wishing you were out there than to be out there wishing you were on the beach.

dashed
    Free Member

Good thread – prompted me to have a think about situations that have given me that amazing feeling. Funnily enough, I can’t think of one in biking. Don’t get me wrong, I love feeling beasted after an epic ride or nailing a big jump / drop but, for me, they don’t compare to the feelings I’ve had when climbing, surfing or skiing / boarding. They’re the only sports I’ve had experiences that have not only made me grin, but have actually made my shout / scream / whoop!

Surfing Anchor Point in Morocco at dawn – turn after turn down the point into the most golden sun shining right up the line of the wave. Or surfing Boilers just up the coast on a rising swell, craping myself, 2hrs with no waves and eventually took off on a monster and nailing that bottom turn.

Skiing or boarding in fresh powder – incredible feeling.. Impossible not to have a little hoot when it’s on!

But biggest high for me in any sport was a route I climbed in Northumberland years ago. Pretty hard, ground fall potential and no real holds on a pretty steep slab. You couldn’t actually stop at any point and it was like a dance to keep moving and keep your momentum going. I was buzzing for about 3 days after that and all these ideas of calm, collected and understated disappeared when my right hand hit the top hold and I new I was safe – screaming like a loon!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Not played a lot of Rugby so consequently not done it much, but turning on the pace at the right angle to leave the defenders standing is pretty damn good 🙂 I can only imagine what it must feel like when fifty thousand of your countrymen suddenly jump to their feet and roar!

jonba
    Free Member

There are lots of good feelings in sport. Achieving something you didn’t think you were capable of. Finding that your limits extend further than you realised. That moment when you are “in the zone” and in control but right on the edge of it. The rush from speed or power.
    The feeling of having mastered something that others have/can not.

But as Njee said up there somewhere. I have a competitive streak and nothing, for me, beats winning – preferably a hard fought win.

LoCo
    Free Member

Anything that makes you feel weightless/flying/floating works on bikes, boards etc
    & going so fast your brain struggles to process it 😀

brooess
    Free Member

Anything that makes you feel weightless/flying/floating works on bikes, boards etc
    & going so fast your brain struggles to process it

try skydiving – it’ll blow your mind

mefty
    Free Member

russian roulette can do this too.

D0NK

mtb, getting down some broken expanse of rock or tangled mess of roots and turning back to see your mates approach that section and just stop and say
    how?
    what line?
    where?
    That and tech trails that go on for so long you’re just giggling from the adrenaline high.
    Boarding on powder has potential but I don’t think I’m good enough to really make the most of it yet, may never be. Others sports I’m so far away from even competent that’s it’s just me having a go.
    A committed go but still just having a laugh.

sobriety
    Free Member

Squash – When you get into the other guys head and he starts to fall to pieces.

MTB – That moment where you’re going so quick that everything starts to slow down.

Motorbikes – The slight splutter of a two stroke just before it comes onto the pipe.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a competitive streak and nothing, for me, beats winning – preferably a hard fought win.

Yep. As long as I have like minded opponents, anything decent will do. A hard fought board game, pub pool, a rocky climb, anything.

“Good game mate, cheers!”

lemonysam
    Free Member

Actually another climbing one’s just occurred to me – typically a bouldering one. The point rioght at your limit when the tiniest change in body position or weight or how you hold something changes “completely impossible” into “well… maybe” and then shortly after into “Well that worked out nicely”.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Used to play rugby (only semi-pro back in those days, I’m 43) once my willy fell out of my boxers whilst having physio on my knee. It hit the physio on the hand, she was gorgeous, she just brushed it aside and told me to rearrange myself. Still felt great though!
    Used to love that feeling of the first beer after a game, knackered and bloodied!

Steve77
    Free Member

Has to be nutmegging someone

marcus
    Free Member

For me its very rarely the feeling during the event thats best. I like the time immediately after the event, usually sat / slumped there plastered in sweat / mud / vomit, etc., blurred vision, often bleeding & completely destroyed knowing you could not have tried any harder either physically or mentally. Doesnt matter to me if I havent won.

djglover
    Free Member

2 things

Winning, or a particularly good result

Running down a ridge during a fell race, particularly something like the Ian Hodgson Mountain Relay, where you are paired with a runner of a similar standard. You will be pelting downhill and it’s like flying a plane having a wingman, one min you are in the clouds, then you pop out into sunshine with the valley below, he might get a better line then you are chasing. Not a lot beats beats that for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

& going so fast your brain struggles to process it

+1

The feeling in a big overpowered sailing dinghy when it get’s on the plane. One of two things happens, either it accelerates so fast if you’re not holding on you get ejected backwards, all hell breaks loose as you try and controll it and you hope someone if filming as it’s going to be one spectacular trip into the water. Or somehow by luck or fluke, the boat just pops up, doesn’t heal one bit and just rockets off into the distance in a cloud of spray.

At one point managed to outrun the RIB at the weekend 8)

scaled
    Free Member

When playing badminton and you’re on a roll. You can’t get back in time to play the next point fast enough and are skipping in to the net to grab the shuttle back from where they’ve hit it in the net again.

When it’s going well like that you’ve got all the time in the world to hit things. The best bit is the feeling that you get in the air, there seems to be a couple of seconds between jump, wait, hit the smash, hang, back to earth and back to base and your pre tension bounce is an instinct despite the fact it was an obvious winner 😀

I kinda get that on a bike, but with more fear 😀

Sancho
    Free Member

a KO from a roundhouse to the head.

just feels sweet.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t you feel weird when you wake up Sancho? Or do you just get mad dreams?

LoCo
    Free Member

on ‘the list’ a base jump would be the ultimate as I hate heights too, properly scramble my brain 😛

Sancho
    Free Member

why do you say that Rorschach.

I used to kick box for a long time when I was younger and I remember ko’ing an opponent when doubling up a roundhouse to the head.
    it was a great move.

what’s up with that, it sport, and what it’s all about.

ourmaninthenorth

In my mind I equate sport with competition. So, on that basis, the best feeling is winning – as a hockey player (decent level, 40000 crowd, blah blah), losing on Saturday would find me still going over it until Tuesday night’s training session….*

But within the game itself, those moments when it all becomes slow motion and you have an absolute clarity of thought, purpose and execution.

But, given I haven’t been able to do any sport for the last few years (health reasons) my recent OK to do some more means I might just enjoy it more for what it is (and being able to do it at all), rather than trying to win.

*This is why I was so disappointed at any competitive cycling I did. Rather than accept mediocrity, I’d be permanently frustrated at it.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Rugby – scoring a try, can’t beat it. Or maybe just before, when you run a perfect angle and the pass is perfectly timed so that you go straight through the gap at full speed and you know nobody is going to stop you.

Snowboard – powder is immense, but it’s a prolonged high, not quite the big hit of scoring a try. Stomping a trick off a big kicker comes close.

Bike – Flow.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I meant you get Ko’d!!….apparently you’ve already had a few too many 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best 'feeling' in sport?’ is closed to new replies.