Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • What's that coming over the hill?… Is it Afan Monster?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Right then, who’s in?
    Are you feeling ready for it?
    I did about half the distance yesterday, went out drinking last night and feel ruined today. What preperation are you doing?

judderman
    Free Member

yep, doin the 100k, no preparation whatsoever! I will be ridin a Whyte e120 & drinking cider, hope to see you there.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Good man! Hope you’re not drinking cider en route?!

judderman
    Free Member

tis not uncommon for me to do so!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just me and the Judderman then….

cheers_drive

I’m doing the 100k. It’s the furthest I’ve ridden off road but I’ve done some all-dayers on Exmoor and The Quantocks as well as a few imperial road centuries so fingers crossed it should be ok ❓ Besides because people have sponsored me for charity I can’t really bail and do the shorter route, can I?
    Looking forward to riding some natural trails (and recording them on GPS) away from the trail centre. I’ll be on Zesty 514.
    After initial promises from riding mates I’ll be doing it alone so if anyone needs a lift from Bristol my email’s in my profile.

gothandy

I’m doing the 100k, did the 90k levington blast on Sunday, which I only just managed to finish, so going to take this one nice and steady so as to enjoy it as much as possible, and so as not to disappoint the sponsors.

Just hoping for a bit of sun this week to dry things out a little.

judderman
    Free Member

i will be bringing 2 mates with me, 1 on a yeti & 1 on a mount vision. gonna plod it as no training done, only riding once a week & short distances at that. looking forward to new bits (to me ) in the area & raising some monet for a very good cause.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Another plodding group of 4 here. None of us have done much training so were just aiming to finish.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Someone told me there’s going to be 2000 people doing it!
    I’ve got three mates doing it with me, main aim being to complete the 100k and find some of these hidden local trails.
    I’ll be on a black meta 5.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Someone told me there’s going to be 2000 people doing it!

Pretty sure that they only had 400 places available. And judging from the emails that the organisers stupidly sent to everyone entered (not using BCC), there isn’t that many people entered.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I’m doing the 100km and I’m just looking to complete it really.

I heard there were 300 out of the max 400 entrants so far.

What are people taking with them on the ride? bottles or bladder? gels?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I did think 2000 sounded like crazy talk.

I’m taking a camelbak. Personally I think for a 100k I’m going to need a little more than some gels. I’m thinking jam sarnies and mixed fruit and nuts.

cheers_drive

A few gels for if ’emergencies’ other than that malt loaf, sandwiches and SIS GO.

gothandy

Did you get the information in the post?

It recommends a 3L Camelbak (or other water carrying bladder type device). There are going to be 3 feed stations but on the 100k you do a loop so get 4 chances to feed and water.

Their Facebook Event Page is good for info.

80km Profile

The 100km extra loop

Mid section profile.

I’ll be going large with water and food, just hoping the weather stays good now!

EDIT: Wish I hadn’t posted those pics now, those profiles look scary!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

gothandy – I can’t work out those pics… the don’t add to 100k.
    The 80k one says total distance of 30k and if you sum the ascents and descents the ride finishes higher than it starts??

gothandy

Southern Yeti I nicked them off Rush Cycles who are heavily involved in organising the event (and had posted them on facebook) so hard to say for sure. But I read it as the 30k section was just showing a bit more detail of the middle bit of the 80k section.

By the way I think the hashtag for the event is #MacAfanMonster if any of you tweet.

colin@rush
    Free Member

We didn’t ride it in order when using the GPS, we only did a GPS reading of the course so we could put the proposed route into the forestry…

The top profile is the start and finish (although this has changed now due to fungus in penydd and we’ve had to move the route)

The bottom profile is the mid section of the route from 1st feed station, so top and bottom make the 75km..

And the middle profile is the optional 100km loop…

hope that makes sense…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers Colin! I was thinking it’d be something like that. Do you know approx. how much climing there is over the full distance now?

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Is anyone camping/staying at Bryn Bettws?

colin@rush
    Free Member

From memory its about 1650mtrs for the 75km and 2200mtrs for the 100km, we’ve had to change the route twice due to fungus and felling issue’s but its still app the same…

colin@rush
    Free Member

Speaking to Bryn Bettws there are about 40people camping…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No self discerning Yeti sleeps in a tent! I’m staying in one of the cabins.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

cheers Colin.

What’s the after ride entertainment?

Will there be a bar? because I’m going to need a drink or two after riding 100km

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Apparently there are a couple of bands, and there’s definitely a bar!
    They’re also going to be doing some hearty post ride food too…. so they’ve said anyway.

Graham_Clark

Brother in law and I will be there… I’m doing the 100km and he’s doing the 75km… Keeping fingers and toes crossed for good weather. Should be a bit of fun, esp. the off piste bits.

colin@rush
    Free Member

The forecast is ok for sat and could go either way for Friday, its been raining this morning on and off and it poured down all afternoon/evening yesterday, most of the going is pretty good, a front mudguard would be a good idea though, the trails yesterday had about 4″ water running down them, still ridable but obviously wet and muddy in places.

Fingers crossed it dries up a bit…

We have food for the feed stations and bryn bettws have a cafe thats open all day serving hot and cold food and drinks and a bar thats open in the evening…
    We are hoping to set up a barbecue but that is weather dependant…

cheers_drive

the trails yesterday had about 4″ water running down them, still ridable but obviously wet and muddy in places.
    Hmm, maybe I should take the Crossmarks off. I stupidly thought it might be dry as we’ve not had much rain in Bristol. Better packs more than one set of spare brake pads too.

MoggyMtb
    Free Member

Me and my brother will be there. Doing the 75km route. cya all there

gothandy

Cheers_drive I’ve still got my small block 8’s on … I was optimistically hoping the rain from Thursday would have drained away by Saturday … but never ridden anything but the trail centres around Afan so not sure how wise that is, I do remember now the stuff at the top of Penhydd used to get a bit boggy.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well my CRC order says it’s out for delivery. Hopefully I won’t be riding bald tyres and braking metal on metal.

Read the pack they sent out, advises getting a full service on the bike 😯

gothandy

The Southern Yeti if you’re really stuck let me know I’m sure I’ve got a spare set of 26 inch rubber I can chuck in the boot. I’ll be on my 29er so won’t be needing them tomorrow.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks mate!

gothandy

I’ll check the shed this evening, reckon I’ve got a spare set of high rollers or panracer xc pro’s both 2.2ish … any preference?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well hopefully (and this is CRC and the Royal Mail I’m relying on) I’m going to have a new set of Ignitors turning up anytime soon. I’ll post up here later if they let me down!

gothandy

No worries … fingers crossed!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

They’re here!! Again thank you for the offer… see you out there tomorrow!

Anyone got a weather update for us…..

camflet
    Free Member

the boys at Rush say there is about 300 (ish) pre-registered and you can enter on the day….. doing it on a Orange Alpine 160 for the fun factor,,it may be a tad heavy but the EPO and beta blockers that i`ve been caning should see me right.. got sponsors to please so 100k is a must. might even do 2 laps if i can mainline some gels..
    Pray for sunshine…. Good luck to all……should be a laugh…?

cheers_drive

I’ve still got my small block 8’s on … I was optimistically hoping the rain from Thursday would have drained away by Saturday … but never ridden anything but the trail centres around Afan so not sure how wise that is, I do remember now the stuff at the top of Penhydd used to get a bit boggy.

It’s the of piste stuff I’m concerened about. If it’s anything like the off piste on last year Brechfa Enduro my rear wheel will be overtaking the back on the way down the steep stuff 😯

gothandy

doing it on a Orange Alpine 160 for the fun factor

Fun? 😯 Good luck camflet

I just spotted colin@rush post this on the facebook page.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50116138

The first 12 miles and already over 1,000 ft of climbing (and descending of course!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What's that coming over the hill?… Is it Afan Monster?’ is closed to new replies.