Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what's it cost to build an "average 4-5 bed detached house these days?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

how much, not including land costs, for an average to nice 4-5 bed detached?labour materials,planning etc but not land.

alexxx
    Free Member

at a wild guess for a badass one £300k, depends what quality you want or restrictions you have – I want one of those wooden ones that gets driven over as there only 100k for a 4 bedroom one and look badass

matth75
    Free Member

about £1000 per square metre of floor area. minimum. That's bottom end using a contractor to do the lot. And factor in fees for planning consent, building regulations, not to mention design fees

Bimbler
    Free Member

Probably not the place for this but I'm amazed we still build our houses out of breeze blocks and bricks, isn't there anything better/more efficient? Offices/factories have steel frames and are then cladded with materials of choice – would it be cheaper to build houses like that?

odannyboy
    Free Member

not when you fator in insulation and longevitiy.

coffeeking
    Free Member

not when you fator in insulation and longevitiy.

Dunno, a well constructed steel frame should last a very long time. The panels for insulation would be pricey though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Offices are made that way because they are big. Small buildings can be made out of bricks etc. To build big buildings out of bricks you need exponentially more bricks because they are very heavy, and the bricks below need to support the bricks above, so you need more bricks below and so on.

It is cheap to build hosues out of wood and clad them I think – but I do not think they would sell well unless they were at least faced with brick. American houses look awful to us (well to me, at least). Plus they are not insulated all that well but that is not necessarily because they are timber framed.

yunki
    Free Member

fifteen quid mate.. if paul gets back off his holidays by then.. but you know what he's like..

Shouldn't take more than a week either unless the weather comes in IF the plumbings alright and the drainage..and I reckon we'll get a good price on the timber so you're not looking at much more than twenty quid all in..

don't quote me on that though..ahah ha.. ha

oldgit
    Free Member

Those prices seem high. Is that for a builder to do the work for you?
    Talking to the builders I know granted for a 'normal' three bed house about 50K

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Price will depend to a large degree on where you are and what type of construction you are using. £1500 per m2 for a reasonable quality, rising to £2000 per m2 plus for high spec. That would include kitchen, bathrooms etc but not cost of land and fees.

Moses

Excluding land costs, only about £100k, if that.
    If pre-fab timber works in Sweden, it could easily work here: better insulated and quicker too.

wonnyj
    Free Member

At least £1000/m2

There are lots and lots of domestic construction systems that aren't brick and block.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Excluding land costs, only about £100k, if that.
    If pre-fab timber works in Sweden, it could easily work here: better insulated and quicker too

Where do you get a figure like that from? Having a friend who is an architect, another two who are builders, and currently going through planning for a place for ourselves, we have just a few good information points to call on.

And the £1500 per m2 I quoted above is based on timber frame construction which is the standard up here, rather than using brick/stone which would be even more expensive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I asked the same question a few months back, someone who works in insurance said a £90k rebuild cost (i.e. you have a level site planning permission and no major complications expected) was what they based their quotes on. If its a new build factor in more as your likely to dicover youve bought the only plot in a 100 square mile area thats above a disused mine shaft etc.

Grand Designs often features really cool houses built for between £150k-£300k plus land, often less though with the more carefull/skint builders, guess the extra is what it cost to make something that doesn't look like it belongs in the Suburban archetectural wasteland.

Rich_s

ABI calculator here
    http://abi.bcis.co.uk/

FWIW our rebuild cost for detached 4 bed brick and block, 2.5 bogs and integral garage was 150k as of April this year (i.e., including fees, etc.). Fair enough it was built by a strategically shaved monkey, but I would have thought it would be about right (within 5%).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what's it cost to build an "average 4-5 bed detached house these days?’ is closed to new replies.