Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What's Garbun Pass like now?
  • mlke
    Free Member

I noted the following on the BBC site reporting that Garburn pass had been restricted to motor vehicles –

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-13640118

but also that it’s had major work in the last 18 months following flood damage. I’ve not been up it for a while but was hoping to in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me what it’s like now? Has it been civilised beyond redemption or is it still a cracking ride from the Troutbeck end?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Have not been there for a couple of months myself but if it is like the last time I rode it it’s still as good as ever.

Sanny
    Free Member

It’s not what it used to be. The Park’s idea of repair is to dump lots of rocks and coarse sand on top of the trail. I rode it on Sunday and was cursing the mix of rocks and sand on the way up. What were some lovely technical rocky sections are now under a blanket of wheel sucking repairs. A bit underwhelmed to be honest. I still enjoyed my ride but was a bit gutted to see the same repairs on the other side as well. What used to be a devilish challenge of a climb from Kentmere has become significanly harder with all the loose rubble.

On the plus side, a good harsh winter should see things reet again with a bit of luck. 😀

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

The most siginificant work is from the bottom at troutbeck.

The Howe was relaid with stone an appears to be stacked rocks from the bottom up. In effect a dry stone wall lying down on its side.

From Limefitt up to the cross roads there have been ditches dug either side of the trail to help keep the water off the trail and the trail itself has been graded to some extent though to say it was smooth would be pushing it. There is still an awful lot of loose rock on the tops.

From the crossroad up to the summit on the troutbeck side it is pretty much as it has been for the last couple of years. There are 2 areas where the dry stone wall has collapsed on to the trail higher up which I think has been caused by water coming down of the fell.

On the Kentmere side there have not been any significant changes as far as I can see in the last couple of years. the only ‘graded’ section is the hairpins about half way up but that has been the case for quite some time.

I would say it is entirely feasible to ride from the bottom at Troutbeck all the way to the summit without dabbing. From Kentmere? I am not so sure. I have heard of a couple of people doing it but both are very handy trial riders who are happy to trackstand and bunnyhop up steps most people wouldn’t even bother trying to ride up.

mlke
    Free Member

thanks for that folks – it sounds like it hasn’t been gentrified out of existance.
    I’ve never managed to ride it up from Troutbeck without dabbing but put that down to crappy fitness rather than technical difficulty of the climb. I’ve never even tried to ride all the way up from the Kentmere side

Drac

As Sanny says some good flooding will sort it out, was there in March and they were just starting some work on it.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    As Sanny says some good flooding will sort it out, was there in March and they were just starting some work on it.
    POSTED 24 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Thanks for wishing more rain on us!! 😥

Drac

I don’t need to wish, it’s the West it stops us getting rain that’s it’s job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What's Garbun Pass like now?’ is closed to new replies.