Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What's everyone feeding their dogs?
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

After losing 2 Labradors to cancer (both 10 years old) I decided to have a look into what could of caused it. Dried food kept coming up so more googling into the brand I had fed them revealed that it contained carcinogenic ingredients that are banned in human food production! Obviously I can’t prove this caused my dogs deaths but I have had a rethink into what I feed my new puppy on.
    Currently on a mix of raw meat and high quality dried puppy complete food that is all natural with no additives.
    Eventually when he’s full grown I will cut out the dried complete food altogether and feed him raw meat and veggies.
    What’s everyone else feeding?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bakers by any chance?

James wellbeloved here – costs more but but who cares.

benp1

What food were you using?

I have a lab, I’m careful to feed him good food. He get Arden Grange large breed adult. It’s a dry food. He had the puppy version when he was a puppy, he loves it. Actually, he loves all food, any food in fact (apart from lemons, leafy things, ginger etc)

colournoise

Hmmmnnn. Google ‘(insert any major brand of dog food here)’ and ‘cancer dog food’ and you seem to get hits.

We use Iams FWIW.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Trespassers……..I sell the bikes.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Minced kittens.

cat69uk
    Free Member

5 year old lab, settled on Burns Chicken & Rice, anything else, even Burns other flavours means squits…….

ton

8 year old lab. Iams. she looks well on it.

DaveRambo

8 month old border

Raw mixed veg and raw minced meat from Natures menu with a sprinkle of decent kibble on top (forget the make)

We buy all the raw food frozen and measure it out into plastic containers 2 days at a time. Easy to do , he loves it and it’s what the breeder does with all her dogs.

Our view is that they evolved eating raw food so the whole minced carcass stuff has to be better than man made dried food.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Fresh cats

jimw
    Free Member

Our Golden Retriever has had James Wellbeloved Turkey and Rice Kibble since she was about 2. We moved her on to the Senior version when she was 12 or 13. She is now 16 and 3 months old. Dried food seems to suit her- her coat is still amazing even at her age

jolmes
    Free Member

Was using Ardent Grange large puppy food here, shes been on that since around 4 months. Now at nearly 10 months we’re about to switch her over to Applaws large breed puppy as she appears to be getting bored.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Raw diet for our two Staff’s. Made a world of difference to one as prior to this he’d been on very expensive hypoallergenic food. Both have great coats and vet always says they have very clean teeth for they’re ages.

headfirst
    Free Member

Burns chicken and rice for our two as well, mixed up with tinned sardines. May I recommend fetch.com, they are brilliant, competitive on price and they deliver in hourly slots on the day of your choice including the next day (min spend £30?), great when you’re ordering a 15kg bag on a near monthly basis!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Koreans

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

wafcol here, although at 6 he occasionally gets gurgly guts and has been prone to colitis before. I’d change if there was a better alternative just to try it.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Another one for James wellbeloved here.

wilburt
    Free Member

Whatever’s on offer in Tesco’s.

chestrockwell

Wellbeloved Large Breed Turkey + Rice for our Lab. Keeps her coat glossy and chod nice and firm.

Saying that, she gets bored of it so chuck in a bit of something else every now and then.

beefheart
    Free Member

Homeless people.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Acana light and fit for 10 year old Labrador. Fit for human consumption apparently..

wilko1999
    Free Member

Iams Small & Medium, chicken flavour for our Whippets, and they are in rude health. 2 x 12kg bags for £42 delivered from Bitiba

dragon
    Free Member

Wainwrights here. We tried James Wellbeloved but she didn’t seem to get on with it. Just moved from the puppy food to adult and she seems happy, but does get bored eventually though, so we mix it up a bit with veggies and meat etc.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Orijen Adult + Raw for my 2 whippets.

they also have a sister brand called Acana

both brands offer high quality dog food.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It was Dr Johns Gold I used to feed the labs on. It was cheap but recommended to me by the breeder in fact he recommended the silver but I bought the slightly more expensive Gold!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

James Wellbeloved Small Dog food for 8 yrs with our Border Terrier

Del

wagg. 12 quid or so for 17kg. + a fish oil capsule both meals.
    9 year old spaniel. ex used to feed her stuff that cost 4 times as much, but when you compared the ingredients the list was identical. much as i love my dog…

CheesybeanZ

VRD Supreme .grain free . They have it with whatever vegetables were having plus raw chicken acouple of time a week.

http://www.ultimatepetshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_14

legend
    Free Member

strict diet of childrens faces

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Frozen free flow mince (so basically a raw diet) with the very occasionall treat. As someone said up there ^ dogs managed perfectly well on raw food for thousands of years. He only does 1-2 number 2’s when we take him on his walks and they’re hard little pebbles for want of a better word so very easy to pick up. I’m no expert but the way I see it the body will only process what’s good for it then crap the rest out. If you feed your dog crap you get crap out.

SiB
    Free Member

I can see how a lot of dog owners are tempted by the marketing of certain brands thinking the more expensive the food the better it is, maybe? One of my friends started buying a make that the makers marketed as made from natural spring water and was charged the earth for it, my dogs drink from stagnant ditches so I didn’t think it would make much difference to them!!

I swap and mix the feed for my two as they seem to get bored the same one after a while. Always dry but mixed with juices from roast meat, tin toms, beans, anything moist really. I know its one of the cheaper ones but DR Johns Silver seems to be a favourite. 10year old and 5 year old, touchwood both still as fit as a butchers dog.

dantsw13

Skinners working dog food (WCS) which happens to be vat free too.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Our Golden Retriever has had James Wellbeloved Turkey and Rice Kibble since she was about 2. We moved her on to the Senior version when she was 12 or 13. She is now 16 and 3 months old. Dried food seems to suit her- her coat is still amazing even at her age

Wow 16 yrs!

Our Lab/Springer has had the same but went onto Senior food at 7yrs old. It includes Glucosomine which is good for the joints. Everyone remarks on his lovely shiny coat too.

tetchypete
    Free Member

My whippet has been on Naturediet since she was a pup and she’s now a sprightly 11 ½. I wouldn’t feed that dry ‘kibble’ shit if it was free.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tesco’s own dry food. No issues so far – two 8 year old dogs, black lab and a JRT. As said above, the shite they eat when out disinclined me to worry about what brand I feed them, so long as the vet’s happy with them, which she is.

Approximately 50% of the time they get dinner leftovers with an appropriately reduced amount of their dry food.

fettlin

fish for dogs

Our whippet loves it.

jimw
    Free Member

fionap

Raw – discovered that bread/grains makes him horribly ill (colitis) when he was a little pup so put him onto raw – currently using Natural Instinct. He now gets that with the odd tin of sardines/mackerel, chicken drumsticks/thighs, mince etc.

mattbee

Happy meals, although I’m hoping to teach him how to use the Dominos app then I don’t have to leave the pub to sort him out.

Actually some sort of horrendously expensive stuff from the vet that has stuff in it to help with his arthritis and knackered back. Luckily since it has been ‘prescribed’ or whatever it is vets do along with his medication Petplan seem happy enough paying a chunk towards it so it’s not any more expensive than normal food.

petrieboy

Whatever the VAT Free Burns one is. Hound came from the rescue centre on bakers but cleaning up after him was a bit horrible. I went to my local pet shop ready to but the top price gear but he suggested trailing the cheaper ones and working up to what worked for the dog best. Tried a couple and ended on Burns. Calmed the mutt down a bit too (but he is still mental)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What's everyone feeding their dogs?’ is closed to new replies.