Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What’s bitten me ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Picked up a nasty bite last Sunday in the Wyre Forest and had a course of antibiotics but it has had much effect.

Now looks like it’s infected again and has a red ring and a white ring too.

Also mega itchy.

Any ideas ? …,.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bolivian Death Ant.

My condolences in advance.

martinhutch

Bit of a bullseye to that one. Hopefully not Lyme Disease from a tick bite, but go show your GP asap, could need some heftier antibiotics. Make sure you mention where you picked it up.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d be getting that checked out, just in case

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ouchies!
    As above check out for Lyme.

Lyme disease and the EM rash

cinnamon_girl

It’s a good sign that it isn’t itchy. More here:

Lyme disease symptoms

renton
    Free Member

It’s a good sign that it isn’t itchy. More here:

It is mega itchy down both sides of it. Only started looking like a bullseye today which is a week after I was at the wyre.

franksinatra

Baby robin has infected you with cat aids (the bad type)

Or classic bullseye from tick bite

cinnamon_girl

Sorry, I mis-read your post. Tick bites aren’t usually itchy although the link mentions a reaction to the saliva. Is it raised? Did you see what bit you? What did the doctor suspect to have given you antibiotics?

renton
    Free Member

I didn’t see what bit me unfortunately.

Just noticed it when I got back from the forest.

Initially it seemed up and went really red and tight. Then it started oozing some puss.

I had a 5 day course of antibiotics which has taken the. Swelling down but it’s still infected so they have give me another 7 day course of antibiotics.

It’s really itchy down both sides of the bite. The centre is swollen and hard.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It’s is probably not a horsefly bite. You really notice them at the time.

Bucko

Could well be a horsefly bite mate, they can often flare up a few times before they heal due to it being an open wound from the little git taking a chomp out of your flesh. I ended up with sepsis and a spell in hospital a few years ago

A tick doesn’t bite you and drop off like a mosquito, it borrows in and drops off a long time later when it’s had enough. You would’ve likely seen the tick feasting on you that evening or the day after being in the forest

cinnamon_girl

@renton it seems that a bite can ooze pus so worth visiting your GP again. Would strongly recommend you print out this link to ensure that the right type of antibiotic, at the right dosage, for the right duration, is given.

Lyme disease treatment

You can download the infographic to take with you. If you’re given Doxycycline then you need to stay out of the sun.

Do report back.

singlespeedstu

Has someone tried to hammer a frozen sausage into you?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cleg bite.

bsims
    Free Member

Last Sunday you say… could have been Micro Sims, he’s a bit feral!

If you didn’t feel it definitely go the the Dr just to be safe, having been bitten by a Horse fly I would be surprised if you didn’t notice.

Could it have been one of those big ants that are all over the Wyre forest?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My horsefly bite a few weeks back. Definitely no bullseye.

feet-1

jam-bo

Black/Blandford fly.

Itch like nothing else, drives you crazy.

Drac

Cleggy.

Pyro

Louise?

Gribs

It looks like a horse fly bite to me but if it’s really itchy it could be a harvest mite. Benzyl Benzoate is the best thing for the itching.

Cougar

I thought tick / Lyme / panic, but C_G is our expert on that here.

Any ideas? Back to the doctor.

downshep

If the first course of antibiotics didn’t clear it, discuss increasing the dose of something well tolerated like doxycycline. Do not let them switch to very powerful and highly dangerous fluoroquinolones, they can cause debilitating and lifelong toxicity.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

The first lot of antibiotics was a 5 day course of flukloxicillon 500mg 4 times a day.

This course is the same but for 7 days.

Got worse over night. Lots more redness and feels swollen again

bsims
    Free Member

I miss read your first post, you had been to the Dr. Was the bite checked for any body parts left inside?

renton
    Free Member

I miss read your first post, you had been to the Dr. Was the bite checked for any body parts left inside?

I couldn’t get into the doctors so instead had to send a photo in for them to look at.

Initially they weren’t going to give me antibiotics, instead suggested trying antihistamines.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’d treat it as a tick bite to be on the safe side. i.e. see the docs

I had a tick bite about 10 years ago which was similar.

cinnamon_girl

@renton am really unsure after looking at your latest pic and comparing it with the earlier one. I would insist on a face to face appointment with a GP (emphasise if necessary the consequences of not diagnosing and treating correctly are serious), beforehand write down the timeline with as much info as possible and give this to your GP.

renton
    Free Member

My local gp isn’t doing face to face appointments which is frustrating.

I’ve got a telephone appointment shortly.

I’m not sure what it is to be honest. I’ve seen ticks before on my dog but don’t recall seeing one on my leg that day, however it could have been brushed off by the bushes.

It’s extremely itchy all the way round my leg today. Very hard not to want to scratch the shit out of my leg but I’m resisting.

cinnamon_girl

@renton that is ridiculous and a phone consult is just not good enough. Try minor injuries centre or A&E.

nickc

That looks like a typical horsefly bite

johnners
    Free Member

Black/Blandford fly.

Itch like nothing else, drives you crazy

– gets my vote. Horsefly you’d have noticed at the time, tick would probably have still been on you. If they’re biting ticks don’t get brushed off! Blandford/Black fly give you a wee nip as they’re pool feeders like horseflies but they’re tiny little things and it can easily be disregarded. I’ve had a few bites from them and they can be nasty.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

Had a telephone conversation with a doctor and told them the timeline.

She asked me to send in a current picture and in discussion with another doc they reckon it’s a tick bite and have prescribed me some other antibiotics for 3 weeks. Doxy something.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve seen ticks before on my dog but don’t recall seeing one on my leg that day, however it could have been brushed off by the bushes.

I’d say that’s very unlikely, they are stuck in there very firmly and take a good old tug with a good tool to remove. Their entire life cycle is based on them staying attached for a while so they are pretty good at it.

cinnamon_girl

@rentonglad you’re sorted with presumably Doxycycline and here’s a link with some tips on taking it:

Tips on Taking Doxycycline

Would also recommend keeping a symptom diary. The NICE Lyme disease guideline does state that a further course of antibiotics can be offered if symptoms persist.

Hope you feel better soon.

renton
    Free Member

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for all your help CG.

Thanks to everyone else for the helpful advice too.

bsims
    Free Member

Glad you seem to have it sorted, gws.

sani2c
    Free Member

Only a flesh wound

cinnamon_girl

Only a flesh wound

What do you mean @sani2c ?

Drac

Seems GP has taken the sensible approach of just in case. The last tick I had I only noticed it as I knocked it bruising away something ticking the back of leg, found blood on my hand and said tick of the floor that wasn’t fully bloated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What’s bitten me ?’ is closed to new replies.