Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What's a reasonable weight for 29er wheels…..
  • granny_ring

Your average trail use type wheel not costing the earth ie not carbon bling etc.
    Need to be 20mm compatible, not sure I can afford hopes at the mo so wondered what else is about and how much they would weigh given the lower end budget?

TIA

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my only warning would be to make sure that you can change the hubs over to be 15mm easily and that the rear is compatible with some of the new standards.

Slogo
    Free Member

save for a little longer and get hoops on arch ex rims!

granny_ring

Slogo what’s the real world weight of those?

mboy
    Free Member

You’re looking at approx 2kg the pair for Pro2’s on Arch EX’s. Bit under 1800g the pair for Crests instead.

jonba
    Free Member

If you are looking for a guide then use shimano as a price and weight guidance point. They do a good range of factory wheels to suit most price points.

granny_ring

Ok thanks for replies.
    Shimano not an option as need 20mm hub?
    Looking at this another way then, would the wheels fitted to the lower end 29er Anthem/Trance be quite weighty? Assume they would be and are worthy of an upgrade?

Clink

Shimano 29er wheels have narrow rims too – best avoided imo

granny_ring

I would look at Superstar to get a guide but site is down at the mo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for wait a month or two and get hopes.

Ive got some arch EX on A2Z hubs which weigh 1800g, so that’d be 1600g with crest. But those hubs are ridiculously light.

timc
    Free Member

Clink – Member

Shimano 29er wheels have narrow rims too – best avoided imo

I have read this quite a bit on the net.

I have XT 29er Wheels on my Solaris & think they are great. Granted Its used more for XC / Trail centres, but for that aplication I have no complaints.

warns74
    Free Member

Spank Oozy (all mountain / trail), 1800g quoted in 29″ guise, lighter than Flow EX and can be had for about the same money?

fatgit
    Free Member

OP
    not trying to hijack exactly but I have some nice 29er wheels for sale
    Which might just suit you
    Email me if you want details or do a search on my username
    Cheers
    Steve

Gee76
    Free Member

I have Pacenti TL28 rims which have a good (23mm) footprint as they’re a coupla mm wider than Arch/Crest and take a reasonable amount of abuse for their(450g) weight. Oh and plump up the tyres nicely for some extra cush.

Hope or DT hubs are my faves.

I’ve built a set of TL28’s with Hope Evo Front Hub and Dt 240 rear hub, ACI Alpina Spokes and they’ve come in at 1750g which is reasonable for trail wheels. (I’ll probably move them on in a month or so if your still looking then).

I’m going for some light bicycle 35mm carbon rims next on dt240 hubs. The new wheels should come in at just under the 1500g mark, which will be a nice weight saving.

dantsw13

I’m pretty happy with my Superstar Tactic/Tesla combo. Tubeless ready at good price, and solid so far. Think they were 1850g ish from memory, but the site is down.

snownrock

Stans Crest on Superstar Tesla, Sapim DB spokes, 15mm front, 10mm rear = 1650g

Not that they sell Stans Rims anymore unfortunately, I got mine for £120 in the warehouse clearance last autumn, I was lucky.

njee20
    Free Member

Stans Crest on Superstar Tesla, Sapim DB spokes, 15mm front, 10mm rear

29er? Really? Seems light. My Hope Hoops on 26″ Crests were 1585g.

granny_ring

Thanks guys any more recommendations?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What's a reasonable weight for 29er wheels…..’ is closed to new replies.