Home Forums Bike Forum What’s a Decent 130mm Fork?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What’s a Decent 130mm Fork?
  • crossed

My Chameleon is running 140mm Yari which weighs a ton and probably contributes to the bike feeling a bit dead.

I’m going to swap to a 130mm fork and looking for something a bit lighter at the same time, the Yari is about 2.2kg.

I’ve only ever used RockShox so the Pike Ultimate springs to mind.

Anything else worth looking at?

joebristol

Pike or Fox 34 at that travel for me. The most recent Fox 34 seems to have been well reviewed – just avoid any kind of fit4 branded damper in them as they’re meant to feel a bit harsh. Grip 2 has been the best model but Grip is also meant to be ok for a more budget option.

coconut
    Free Member

Pike, Fox 34, or Mazocchi Z2 (basically a Fox 34 but cheaper). Revelation is pretty good too.

nixie

You won’t lose much weight, 300g ish if 2.2 is accurate for the yari. Pike select+ with a charger 2.1 without be worth a look. You just don’t get a many adjustors as the ultimate.

Wheels and tyres probably worth looking at for a dead feel.

onehundredthidiot

Pike ultimate, have one on my pace ht and it’s pretty good.

anono

A load of fox and marzocchi forks on sportpursuit at the moment. Might be something there for you.

davros

Fox 34 performance have been excellent for me and the newer ones are sub 1.8kg.

matt_outandabout

You won’t lose much weight.
    But you will gain a fork which you can actually get to move well on a variety of impacts.

chakaping

Pike select+ with a charger 2.1

This is what I have at 130mm on my short-travel bike, it’s an excellent fork if you’re average weight (as you can’t adjust HSC).

I’ve seen mixed opinions of the Pike when they moved to Charger 3.

nixie

The pike select+ I have in front of me here are around 1.9kg (stealth add), around as it’s not easy to get them to balance on our kitchen scales.

kelvin

130mm forks and 140mm forks tend to be the same weight (and the same fork with a different airspring). If it’s just weight saving you’re after, drop to 120mm for super light. For a better fork, stick with 140mm and aim for a good damper. Pike or 34? Charger 2.1 or Grip Sweep would be my damper choices.

crossed

To be honest extra adjustments aren’t a selling point for me, I pretty much set the pressure and rebound etc as per whatever the Trailhead app says and leave it like that.

What are Fox forks like for maintenance? I’ve always had RockShox and serviced them myself with no issues but no idea about Fox.

With any luck there’ll be some knockdown prices on the Pike with the new model having been launched.

kelvin

Grip sweep is the Fox damper for non fiddlers. Lower servicing on RockShox and Fox much the same.

snotrag

The best fork at 130mm is the current Gen Fox 34 with the curved arch – it is so, so much better than the older ones with the older more angular arch. It is far, far stiffer and better tuned to the extent i see zero benefit in going to the 36 if you  are running at 140mm of travel.

The full factory fork in Grip2 flavour is superb.

To be honest extra adjustments aren’t a selling point for me, I pretty much set the pressure and rebound etc as per whatever the Trailhead app says and leave it like that.

Thus – Fox 34 Performance with Grip/Sweep damper is the fork for you IMO.

andrewh
    Free Member

Manitou Mattoc, the Pro version.

Not easy to find unfortunately but otherwise excellent in every respect

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fox 34 Grip 2 and it simply is amazing.  I’m fortunate enough to have a couple other bikes with 36/38 Grip 2.  The 34 version is just as good, just downsized.  I’ve not owned an other recent short travel forks but compared to older forks I’ve used, it’s light years ahead and very confidence inspiring.

ads678
    oldfart

Merlin had Fox 34 Rhythm for £299 👍

devash
    Free Member

There’s a new Fox 34 Factory out with a ‘Grip X’ damper. Not sure how it stacks up against the Grip 2 but its lighter – nearly 200g lighter than the latest gen Pike.

Talking about the Pike, it’s a great option for heavier riders or those who like to ride hard / smash through things. Also, Rockshox stuff is really easy to service at home, with less expensive tools needed, if you do your own spannering.

Someone mentioned the Manitou Mattoc Pro above – fantastic option but not so easy to find in Europe or get spares for. Some of the German stores have them but not sure if there is a UK distributor yet (I think its a Hayes brand)?  If the availability was better I would be running one of these.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like my Z2, not sure it’ll be a step up from a Yari. So if you can afford the extra I’d say 34 with the Grip2 damper or a Pike.

crossed

Out of interest, does anyone know what the gamer etc is like on the Pike Select+ rather than the Ultimate? they seem to be quite a chunk cheaper.

nixie

Select+ is rebound and lsc adjustment only. Ultimate gets hsc as well. I think select + might be OEM only. You can buy the better damper if you found you needed the extra adjustment. The one to avoid is called charger rush or something, that’s not really a charger damper.

crossed

Thanks for that!

snotrag

Select+ is OEM only and generally has the tech of the top spec damper but without the high speed compression adjust – they are arguably the sweet spot in the RS range, CRC in the good old days used to often have them Select+ spec Pikes and Lyriks on sale, remember during covid when loads of us got Pike 2.1 Select+ for under £200!

chakaping

As I suggested up the thread, Select+ forks are great if you’re not particularly light or heavy – as the HSC is set in a nice useable place.

mildred

Came Creek Helm set to 130mm. Excellent & often overlooked forks.

alloypenguin

I recently popped this on my Whyte 905.  Very decent fork for the sale price.  Can always upgrade it to Pike standards as they are both now 35mm.

Rockshox Revelation DebonAir Boost Forks – 27.5″ | Merlin Cycles

jsync

I have an unused pike select+ 150mm 27.5 I will be moving on soon if you’re interested.

ajt123
    Free Member

Got a Fox Rhythm on my Cotic.

Excellent. Very good small bump compliance, but decent progression curve.

Simple, effective adjustments for compression and rebound.

No need for anymore.

crossed

I have an unused pike select+ 150mm 27.5 I will be moving on soon if you’re interested.

Tempting but I need a 29″ fork.

brokenbanjo

Second for the Cane Creek Helm 2. Got one on my SolarisMax. Got it delivered set at 140mm, but found the front end a bit light on steep or technical climbs, so used the supplied spacer to drop it to 130mm (should have listened to Sam @ Cotic from the off). No new costly air spring and rebuild, just unscrew a thing, clip a thing, screw up a thing. Rides even better now. Although I could do with a lesson on how to set it up – when are Cotic doing a demo day in or near the Lakes?

crossed

Following up on this I ended up with a Pike Select+ fork.

It’s currently running 140mm while I wait for a 130mm air shaft to be delivered. I tried the adjustable dropouts moved fully forward and it still felt a bit crap. After reading something on another site I tried the 27.5″ rear dropouts but with the 29″ rear wheel and it’s made a noticeable difference. It seems to climb just as well but feels like it turns better and is a bit more stable on descents. I’ve only tried it with this set-up on one ride but it’s promising so far.

It’ll be interesting to see how it feels with the fork dropped to 130m.

rockhopper70

My current 2017 bike came with a 130mm Pike. Since then I’ve added the first version debonair at 140mm travel and also got a 2.1 damper upgrade at a good price.
    The most recent tweak has been a Tru-Tune through TF (on sale at the mo) and the fork is now very plush.
    Good forks.

nedrapier

@crossed If you find a 150,140mm Pike for a good price, I have a 130mm airspring in the drawer.

nedrapier

Ha, just saw the time of the original and then your update. Let me know if your 130mm spring doesn’t show up!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i’m too late to the party, i got a RockShox Pike Base, 130mm 29er 44mm Boost fork soon to be for sale, off a SC tallboy ridden under 20 miles (west yorks)

no idea the internals

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.