Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • What would you pay for a 100% British made frame?
  • avdave2

29er
    Reynolds 853
    EBB shell
    vertical drop out/Rohloff dropout on NDS
    removeable gear hanger
    disk brake mount inside rear triangle
    tapered headtube for 120mm sus corrected.
    EDIT: Oh and a choice of really good paint.
    About £1200 – but it’d be powdercoated ‘cos I don’t do posh like. And I’d try to talk you into sliding dropouts instead of an EBB.

How much to add a belt drive option, oh and I want it rigid only.
    And I’ve been running an EBB for 6 years and happy to stick with it, works for me and if I’m going to spend a fortune I want it to look nice. 🙂

convert

I would pay a bit more for a local semi custom frame definately provided it was a tidy job from a firm that could give a good after sales service and had some form. Not sure I’d want to go 953 over 853 though. I’d use Niner Sir9 prices (circa £900) as my startig point if 853 – matching it if the brand is a bit no name but with the semi customisation, a little more for something where the brand felt a little “choice”, with the subsequent improvement in potential resale price.

woody74

We certainly would not just be offering a british made version of what is already on the market we would be offering frames that are different and allow you the consumer to spec what you want.

I also agree that just because it is made in Britain doesn’t mean it is good quality. Most stuff made here is either high tech aerospace or railway girders, not much in between. We would be looking at build high quality frames where we could control the quality and finish at source as they are made and not when it is too late after they come out of container ship. Finish would be key like what many of the US builders used to do, little design tweaks that make your bike one of a kind.

What we are looking at in no way detracts from the full custom builders as these guys are real artist. This is just to fill the middle ground where you have a fair idea of what you want and how you like things but cant get it either from the main players or at a reasonable cost. For instance how hard would it have been to get a road bike with disc mounts 12 months ago. By building in the UK we can bring this to market very quickly and by building to order is no one orders then there is no loss to the company of unsold stock.

We would also be looking to offer second to none customer service as we all at some time must have been stung with the poor service that often is shown in the bike market. A bike is for life not just the 12 month warranty.

Thanks everyone for all your comments

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

All other things being equal I would probably pay up to 20% for a British made frame but beyond that I would have to draw the line. If I were living in France, America or Taiwan then I would feel the same about frames made there. For me it’s about supporting local manufacturing wherever local might be to you. If it keeps a few more people employed then I think it’s worth supporting.

st

What’s wrong with 531?

MrSmith
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 531?

what’s right with it?
    it’s out of date small o/d stovepipe

MrSmith
    Free Member

double post. i hit the button once honest gov.

aP
    Free Member

Hmmm…. in 1997 I paid £550 for a made to measure 853 frame with forks and stem. It was built to my requirements specifically to be able to fit Salmon guards with standard drop calipers. I still use it, about 4,500 miles last year, and it still rides nicely.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Less than one made abroad if I’m honest; as there’d be no shipping & import fees to cover and would probably have some kind of local small business grant/incentive in place ‘promoting/funding’ British industry

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If I was feeling particularly flush I’d maybe pay up to an extra £100 for something like a UK-made Soul but that’d be about it. No chance for the ~£1000 that it would probably actually cost.

That’s not to say that I don’t buy into the cachet of an artisan, UK-made frame but for me that sort of thing would be a once-in-a-lifetime treat to be cleaned every day with my toothbrush, rather than battered round the woods in the muck. That’s still a market that some people might be able to make a living from but I don’t think the market for a UK-made Soul/456/Sirius would be very big.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Isn’t 953 a pain in the tits to work with and 931 gives 99% of the benefits but none of the hassle making it easier, and hence cheaper?

(May have dreamt that though)

tazzymtb

cheap steel or scaffolding!!

I remember a couple of UK frame Designers (Taiwanese build) making 853 and “normal” steel versions of the same frame…in back to back testing there was bugger all difference in ride quality that could be determined in “blind” tests and only a marginal weight saving for significant cost difference. Funnily all the lovely frames they sell now that folk love aren’t 853.

I would love a custom uk made frame, but not many uk frame builders can make anything as sexy a groovey cycleworks, or retrotec

huws
    Free Member

14 bike co will make a ‘custom’ track/fixed frame and forks in the UK with plenty of options from £450 up.

I need an aero tubed, filet brazed 853 14r lo pro.

jimbobm
    Free Member

waswasss – the curtis bikes on chainreaction are 4130 cromo tubed tawain models mate. not made in uk. i had one of both. check the sticker as it gives it away, its 4130 which curtis dont hand make from and also it says designed in the uk.

jameso

931 gives 99% of the benefits but none of the hassle making it easier, and hence cheaper?

931 is a stainless steel with similar properties to 853, so not quite 99% of 953 but very nice anyway. 953 is bonkers-strong but very hard and thin-walled. I’d go for 853 for the cost-benefits over 931, unless visuals are really important.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Woody I get where you’re coming from here. Actually being made in the UK isn’t really the marketing feature you should be focusing on (and it doesn’t seem like being made in the UK is any reason to command a premium judging by the responses here).

You’re marketing position is more compelling than that; it’s the ability to offer a moderate level of choice and customisation.

Colour is a great example; if you manufacture in the far east, you can’t ship unpainted frames because they would rust in the container (at least that’s what I’ve been told) so you have to stick to defining the colour choice at the point of manufacture and the mass market doesn’t want lots of colour choices to manage.

I’ll have mine in metallic BRG with white box panels please.

Same with drop outs. I want a 12mm by 135mm rear please because I want to use one set of wheels across two bikes (they’re really nice wheels so why wouldn’t I?)

I would also like a 44mm head tube and drilled for a dropper post. I would also like some input on the tube sets but I can live with the geometry and sizing being just like say a Cotic BFe or a Dialled Alpine.

Currently if I want all this I have to go with a full on custom built frame that is going to cost me £1150 or more.

Actually the Cotic Bfe ticks most of my boxes and costs £330.

If you can give me a Bfe or Alpine with those choices i’ve listed above, I would happily pay £500.

I don’t want it fillet brazed though, I would want it TIG welded because I prefer the aesthetics (more modern) and in my mind at least, the results are stronger if you’re using 853. Maybe that’s a misconception that needs changing in my mind though.

bratty

But it sounds so nice when you ping an 853 tube with your fingernail. Admittedly not the sort of thing most people do when riding, but even the sound of cables rattling and pinging off the top tube is nice to hear 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But it sounds so nice when you ping an 853 tube with your fingernail. Admittedly not the sort of thing most people do when riding, but even the sound of cables rattling and pinging off the top tube is nice to hear

Sounds almost exactly the same on a 520 frame though

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m having a bike built by 18 Bikes, more than happy to pay good money for it,

The service alone is worth the extra. Its down to little things like how do YOU want this… How would YOU like XXXX to be…

I really enjoyed sitting with the guys, discussing what I wanted, what parts where to go on. Its so much more than just an off the peg frameset.

I get updates like this:

as the build goes on, dead exciting.

franksinatra

Shep, you need to keep an eye on that. It looks like they are holding it together with tape. Rubbish.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Shep, you need to keep an eye on that. It looks like they are holding it together with tape. Rubbish

Yeah they where quick to sort that, it was a Taiwanese kid they had on work experience. 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

853/t45: £800
    Tange: £600

shandcycles
    Free Member

If a frame took about 1 week to be built by 1 person, and parts were about 200 pounds for quality tubes etc, then would it be reasonable for the frame to cost about 800? That’s about 600 pounds for around a week’s work???

ok, lets take the VAT off, now you’re down to £500. Assuming you want to have a some holidays, we’ll assume you can do 48 bikes. That’s gives you 4 weeks off. So you’ve now got an income of 24K.

I’m guessing powdercoat and decals, so how about £50 including carriage/transport back and forward.
    You’re now down to £21600.

I assume you’ll be selling direct (no margin for a retailer or distributor) so you’ll have be shipping bikes out. Factor in £5 for boxes and packing material. and now we’re down to £21360

Not sure how they’re put together but I’m think you might be looking at something like £15 per frame for consumables based on that volume so, now we’re down to £20640.

What’s that you say? You want some heat on in the workshop in the winter? Ok then but it’ll cost you £200 per year. Oh, and how are people going to know about you? Marketing and advertising you say? Ok, £1K a year sound ok?

Right now we’re down to less than £20k and you still need to pay your rent, rates, water, tooling, insurance, testing, warranty, shipping/carriage, accountancy, NI, tax, website …..

And you’ll be working on your own 60hrs week.

As someone who knows about this stuff once said, “it’s simple but it’s not easy.”

PrinceJohn

How much would you be willing to pay for a 100% British made frame or built bike. Not so much a complete custom frame but an off the peg that you can at least can spec drop out type, colour scheme.

The same or less than other similarly specced frames on the market. The same as anything else.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…If a frame took about 1 week to be built by 1 person…

a week?!?

**** me.

i’ve had a few frames made, i’ve seen it done in less than a day*.

(*by a welding Samurai master, he charges accordingly, he’s worth it)

convert

Personally I think it’s a bit of shame that going from the above responses that as a nation we aren’t a bit more loyal to home grown. Maybe I’m being harsh – would all those who have said they would not pay extra overtly favour the UK made if price and spec were exactly the same?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair market price.

If you want to overcharge charge more than the importers then you have to do something very special/unique and well thought out – ie completely custom and perfectly built.

bratty

But it sounds so nice when you ping an 853 tube with your fingernail. Admittedly not the sort of thing most people do when riding, but even the sound of cables rattling and pinging off the top tube is nice to hear

Sounds almost exactly the same on a 520 frame though

Oh no the sound is completely different I tell you.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Good response Shandcycles.

matther01
    Free Member

I would certainly pay a premium, provided that the pre and after care service is good. For example Cy and Paul at Cotic always help and answer queries and not necessarily to gain sales and reach out to customers for their input on new designs. Shandcycles are on here looking to gain insight from customers and be helpful amongst others. I don’t see Trek or the like with their vast resources on this forum. For me, this is the difference and if this keeps jobs in the UK, building bikes specifically for UK conditions then that’s a brilliant thing. I appreciate we can’t all spend vast sums and we should live within our means, so if UK brands could get 0% finance that would also be a major boost.

mrmoofo

In the mid 90s I bought a Roberts (genesis). It cost me 500 earth pounds at the time. So in modern money that is probably 1 or 2 million current pounds …
    I bought it on spec, I wasn’t prepared to go to a D.O.G.S.B.O.L.O.X – mainly because I though the name was rather trite and trying too hard.

I orderd a 20 inch – in modern day sizing it would have been around 23 inches. It was meant to have a sloping top tube – but it didn’t ( oh, that is the 19 inch, didn’t you know that?) It wasn’t what I expected, but I was too embarassed to complain. I stuck with it for 2 years until the interfaces with the top tube became too much

The paint work was rubbish, it chipped like nail varnish – and the BB was never central – you had to reverse a std shimano BB, just so the rank of the chainring side would clear the frame.

I found the whole Roberts experience a user unfriendly one.

Cotic however, are great. Even though the bikes are made in the East

onandon
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less where a frame is made if I’m honest.
    most of mine are carbon so probably made in the east, other than the Litespeed which is US of A.

Oh, I have a Curtis jump bike but only because my name is Curtis so id have purchased one even if it was from north Korea and made of while bone by a 7 year old in a sweat shop.

If it’s a quality frame with good paint people will buy regardless of price and provenance….. All IMHO

jimbobm
    Free Member

trek and specialized dont need to come on here for info, they PAY lots of riders to ride for them and provide them with the info thats actually needed. Id say info on frame design from a team rider who races and rides as a job is slightly more reliable than a forum poster is it not?

I like british made frames, theres something nice knowing that its not mass produced but unfortunately its hard to make them at a price most people would like to pay.
    Lets not forget you can usually get a frame that is exceptionally well built in taiwan for £300! most frame builders in the uk (especially start up companies) will pay nearly that for a good tubeset and then they still have to build the thing!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There are large parts of the demise of Raliegh in this thread – ultimately consumers could buy a whole bike cheaper than it cost Raleigh to buy the components, plus they missed the whole group set thing. I do not see logic in paying more for a British frame other than a slight warm fuzzy feeling.

bencooper
    Free Member

Lets not forget you can usually get a frame that is exceptionally well built in taiwan for £300!

And this is the thing – if you just want a good frame at a good price, a custom frame isn’t for you. What you get with a custom frame is a lot more personal control and interaction over the whole process. This costs money, of course, so if cost is your prime concern then it won’t work for you, but for many people cost isn’t the prime concern.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately without some seriously good guidance (ie correcting) most people would probably end up speccing something completely rubbish as a custom frame, the way angles etc are flung round here as the way to make a perfect bike.

jimbobm
    Free Member

but for many people cost isn’t the prime concern.

Surely if this is the case there would be alot more bespoke british bike companies?

i wish there was more british builders but the economics just dont work anymore.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

As mentioned above, I have voiced my opinion before that there is no reason why someone couldn’t build frames in the UK for exactly the same price as Taiwan with everything being equal as far as the customer is concerned (quality, design, finish etc etc). But the issue isn’t scale, at least not to start with.

The main reason you can’t get a batch of frames built here and be competitive on price is that there is no one offering it. There simply isn’t the infrastructure here for it anymore. In Taiwan, if you want a dropout that isn’t available then they will make it for you, likewise headtubes, braze ons, bb shells etc etc. We have had huge issues trying to get a tapered headtube swaged over here that would be a simple phone call over there. In order to make frames here you would have to set up doing EVERYTHING yourself. This brings the issue of enough scale to make it worthwhile and also the capital to get it all started.

I believe that as the wages of other countries rise and we still have issues with delivery times we will see people starting to produce more here. The comments about quality are a non issue, if you get the right people in to to the job (as the Taiwanese have done) and train them appropriately then the quality can be as good or better.

I don’t think the general public will pay more for just ‘made in the uk’ but provided the product is as good or better, available faster, reacts faster to the market and is priced competitively then there is no reason that mass produced UK frames wouldn’t be a success.

We don’t have the workshop capacity or capital to increase these to make it work, trust me, I’d love to but it’s not going to happen anytime soon (for us)

Matt

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

this:

but the economics just dont work anymore.

is changing

honourablegeorge

mikewsmith – Member
    Unfortunately without some seriously good guidance (ie correcting) most people would probably end up speccing something completely rubbish as a custom frame, the way angles etc are flung round here as the way to make a perfect bike.

I suspect I’;d go in with a printout of the Soul Geometry chart, and get as far as the price, and think “why am I bothering?”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘What would you pay for a 100% British made frame?’ is closed to new replies.