Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • What would you have done?
  • br
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8578787.stm

I have a lot of sympathy for the lady, and also think that the 'couple' should have just accepted it.

But I had to laugh at this comment:

"We've since told a large number of friends and acquaintances and the reaction has consistently been amazement that this should have happened.

Yes, thats probably because they're gay as well.

And I'm guessing the end result will be the lady will just stop taking in, and the gay crowd will promote it as 'victory'.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Reckon they said "how VERY dare you!"

woody2000

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I sense a little homophobia in your language. Would it be ok to turn away a black couple, or a disabled person? That kind of attitude has no place in the modern world TBH, she should be ashamed of herself.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have a lot of sympathy for the lady, and also think that the 'couple' should have just accepted it.

Yes, but that's because you're a homophobe. Your life would be better if you were more accepting of peoples differences.

KT1973
    Free Member

I'd have let them in. I've got nothing against homos.
    Unless they're black.

aP
    Free Member

And if they'd been black or Irish? Would that be acceptable?

rossrobot
    Free Member

br – I totally disagree – the lady turned away paying customers based on their sexuality, and deserves to be investigated for blatant homophobia. It's 2010 FFS.

Edric64
    Free Member

So she is probably a religious sort ? I wonder how many Mr and Mrs Smiths have booked in for a weekend of immoral extra marital nookie?

westkipper
    Free Member

What's the issue here?
    If the woman wasn't prepared to accept all types of people, she shouldn't have set up in the first place.
    Even the most reactionary of you lot would see the unfairness if she had knocked back a black or mixed-race couple. This is exactly the same principle.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Money is money at the end of the day.

Innit.

JimmyB
    Free Member

What exactly are her 'convictions'? Does she have previous for Homophobia?

project
    Free Member

What the hell has it got to do with the police,police catch criminals,this is a civil matter,that will now be blown out of all proportions,by the media looking for a story.

If you dont like meat your a vegetarian, so whats the difference,she didnt want them in her house, and said so and apologised,she has the right to refuse a booking for whatever reason.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think it's a comment about ones standing in the community(and no hardon jokes because I used the word standing)

westkipper
    Free Member

So, project, if this was you who had been discriminated against, would you have just said "oh, fair enough" and walked away?

epicsteve
    Free Member

the lady turned away paying customers based on their sexuality, and deserves to be investigated for blatant homophobia

Agreed, as long as they also investigate the Catholic Church and various others.

antigee

well i wouldn't have posted this on the Bike Forum

Jamie
    Free Member

neil's-on-wheels – Member
    Money is money at the end of the day.

Innit.

I believe their notes are pink though.

RichPenny
    Free Member

she has the right to refuse a booking for whatever reason.

Actually, she does not have that right. Just like employers do not have the right to discriminate, although lots do and get away with it. Luckily for us this country has some laws in place to make it more difficult for bigots, it would be better for all of us if they were used more frequently.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don't care, live and let live.

Unless they're politicians.

Edric64
    Free Member

I assume bigotry is fired by the fear of homosexuality, as if any gay person you meet is going to try it on with you?

project
    Free Member

West Kipper, yes walk away,not go on bbc news, a bike forum and in the papers tomorrow,upsetting the lady in question,and possibly the two chaps as well.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Luckily for us this country has some laws in place to make it more difficult for bigots

There are laws that are themselves bigoted though – no Catholic prime minister for example.

Edric64
    Free Member

She needs upsetting with her attitude

westkipper
    Free Member

So, do you advocate anyone who's been refused a job or entry to a hotel or political party (or bike club) on account of their skin colour or sexuality should also just go away and not make a fuss, project?
    The law's there for good reason, she (alledgedly) broke it, she should answer for her actions.

project
    Free Member

Its her house, her rules, and she decideded she didnt want them to stay.

Strangers shouldnt have the power to dictate rules to private individuals,in their own home.

RichPenny
    Free Member

There are laws that are themselves bigoted though – no Catholic prime minister for example.

Didn't know that, very interesting. I assume that is justified from historical context when challenged? Sometimes I forget what a strange country I live in. It will be better when all this rubbish is long forgotten.

RichPenny
    Free Member

She is most decidedly not a private individual if she runs a guest house. The rules she should follow are those of this country, which would be better off without her and her kind.

westkipper
    Free Member

If she's running it as a B+B, its a business transaction and no longer strictly 'her own home'
    As aP said above- it used to be not uncommon to see 'No blacks/ No Irish' signs in the windows of guest houses, Was that acceptable because it was someones own home?

LabWormy

The Catholic Prime-Minister bit got me googling, and it isn't quite right…

"Incidentally, the 1701 Act of Settlement still prohibits British monarchs from being, or marrying, a Catholic. While there is, theoretically, no bar on the Prime Minister being a Catholic, a Catholic Prime Minister is considered to be 'constitutionally awkward' since that office is involved in appointing senior members of the Church of England."

Still, I didn't even know it was 'constitutionally awkward', so you live and learn.

project
    Free Member

She advertises bedrooms in her home,so she has the right to refuse admission,just like a shop or pub.

Hairychested
    Free Member

"We're two respectable middle-aged men – John is leader of the Lib Dem group on Huntingdon Town Council

LMAO
    project – I'm there with you on this one – her house, her rules. People should accept that if you're visiting me you're following my rules. Otherwise – get out! Reporting her to the Police is beyond comprehension. If the pillock who did it wanted to pursue the matter he should've gone to court with it instead of calling the Police and BBC (whichever is worse I'm as yet uncertain).

westkipper
    Free Member

And a shop or a pub would fall foul of the law if it was stupid enough to try this.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I don't believe that a shop or pub has the right to refuse admission to people because they are gay either.

Stu_N

Edric 64 – Member

I assume bigotry is fired by the fear of homosexuality, as if any gay person you meet is going to try it on with you?

One of my friends is massively homophobic and that was one of his arguments.

We pointed out he knew a lot of women and none of them tried it on with him even when he wanted them to, so what was the problem?

EDIT: FWIW I do have some very limited sympathy for the woman's "not under my roof" thing if that's how she feels but as she runs a B&B so it is not just her home, it's a public place as well, and if she is so bothered about that sort of thing then B&B is probably not the business for her. Move with the times, hen.

RichPenny
    Free Member

People should accept that if you're visiting me you're following my rules.

Not if your rules are contrary to the laws of the country. If you don't want gay people in your private house because you have issues, that is allowed. Her house is not private, it's a guest house.

westkipper
    Free Member

Not only did he post on the wrong forum, but the OP has been strangely silent since dropping this one in… 😉

allyharp

The problem here is that people's religious beliefs seem to be allowed to take precedence over common sense (and often the law) in this country.

Do you think the media would still be covering it if the woman had been Islamic and was refusing the couple for something similarly discriminatory?

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Wud of kild em cookd em an ate em

westkipper
    Free Member

allyharp, yes, I think the media would have an (outraged!!!) field day if that was the case. (If theres one thing the gutter press hates more than homo's, or cyclists, it's muslims)

duntmatter
    Free Member

Maybe the OP's gone quiet coz "the gay crowd" have turned up at his house.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.