Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • What Video Camera for experienced traveller inexperienced with cameras
  • large418
    Free Member

Hey all,
    I am after some advice for my 20 year old lad who is off to do some volunteer work in Cambodia at the end of August. He wants to make a video diary, and needs a video camera, but we have no idea what to look for, how much to pay, or where to start looking.

He wants something fairly small (hold it in one hand) light and good battery life (I guess 4-6 hours per charge).
    He has never used video cameras before, so he doesn't want anything loaded with features that he'll never know how to use, but he will want to be able to record close up stuff, far away stuff, close up stuff in gloomy light conditions (indoors etc), people talking (so sound recording) and some other stuff. He'll also want to be able to edit the film when he gets back so the finished item can go towards his Journalism degree (that he is just about to start the 2nd year of). I need to know what makes are good, any particular pitfalls, how much to pay (is £200 too little), where to shop and what else to look out for. Also, he'll want to store the recordings on memory cards.

Do cameras come with editing software or is this normally bought separately?

Another question – does anyone have a camera for sale that is a fantastic piece of kit for not much money?

Thanks for your help

midlifecrashes

Have a look at PCPro mag from this or last month, or their website. They suggest the Flip ultra HD or maybe the weatherproof Kodak equivalent.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘What Video Camera for experienced traveller inexperienced with cameras’ is closed to new replies.