Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What van?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m looking for a 5 seater van for the family. But leave the back versatile for mini camper type conversion or cooker etc. Seen some transporters which look right also a Vito. But not sure how to define what I’m looking for in searches. Anyone know how to specify this?

jam-bo

budget?

T5 kombi will do all that but they don’t come cheap.

and lots here love to hate them.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is that 5/6 seater?

jam-bo

kombi is, 1+2 up front, and 2+1 in the back. I’ve taken the +1 out of the back to make it easier to move around inside.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mate with 3 kids treated himself to a new T5 plus conversion, its his only vehicle. I think it cost £50k 😯

willard

The new Vivaro looks good for the money. I think they have 3 + 3 seats in the combi, but don’t know if the second row can come out easily, or if the bulkhead is optional.

A cheaper alternative may be the Vito. I know a mate had one that was a 2 + (2+1) that had a lot of space in when the seat were out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate bought a lovely new T6 conversion, really is stunning, god knows what he paid for it. Bikes go on a towbar rack on the back.

And for that reason, I’m out…..

dknwhy

I’ve got a Ford Tourneo custom. Ours has 2 big seats in the front (although you could have the bench option). There are 6 seats in the back. All removable. Loads of options. Nice big tailgate too.
    Here it is.
    With a family, a van of that size is unrealistic as a proper camper for extended trips. It is ideal for loading up with camping gear or using as a day van. We’ve just done 2000 miles around Europe over the last few weeks.
    Was great being able to take everything we might need without hassle. Combined with a big pop up tent and a bigger tent for the extended stays, it was perfect.

VanHalen

i have a vw t4 but will probably get a tourneo in the near future.

its just that bit bigger without being totally impractical.

t5/6 are just mind bogglingly expensive. VW used to be better than teh rest but i think now the others have caught up and maybe surpassed.

johnnystorm

I’ve got a T5 with 3 in the front and two in the back. The two in the back have integral belts so you can just have more load space. As mentioned above the factory option is called a Kombi. Plenty of places do conversions so just find the T5 van you like and get some seats fitted in the back and get it carpeted.

johnnystorm
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

OK. That’s all very helpful. The idea really is for a touring van which can also be a daily driver. The space in the back is not so much for sleeping, but enough for a Base for camping or just cooking and washing on breaks.

db

Search for a Crew Van – lots of options from small Kangoo’s to bigger Merc’s

BoardinBob

Prepare to drool https://www.outsidevan.com/

simon_g

I want similar, and am looking at the bigger Japanese-market MPVs – Toyota Alphard, Nissan Elgrand, Honda Elysion or Stepwagon, etc. Quite a few importers who can bring them in. They’re very similar in dimensions to a SWB Transporter.

They tend to have sliding seats on rails (so passengers can either have lots of legroom or be pulled forward for for load space), and rearmost seats that flip up sideways (so you still have a tall, long space for bikes) and they can all go flat to become a bed (albeit not a perfectly flat one). Plus two sliding doors, tailgate rather than barn doors – all the things that people seem to pay extra for on their Transporters.

Makes a bit more sense to me than making a van more comfortable/refined trying to turn it into a family car.

mos

The Transit Custom Double Cab in Van & Vivaro equivalent both have fixed seats & a fixed bulkhead, so aren’t really a good starting point for versatility, which is why i ended up with a T5.
    Torneo Custom as per DKNWHY says or Transit Custom Kombi may be a cheaper option.

petrieboy

T5 Caravelle here. 7 seats that slide, rotate, fold into a bed or come out completely. Car like comfort too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do any of them drive at all like a big estate?

jam-bo

nope. like a van.

some are more refined than others but you aren’t going to get away from the fact its still a big square box.

and slamming it and fitting 20″ alloys doesnt help either.

scuttler

VW California Beach for massive flexibility, daily driver capability and built-in sleeping for four.

eskay

I have a Vito dualiner. 2 seats up front , 3 in the rear. Rear seats fold up and can be taken out very easily.
    Fully soundproofed and well finished internally. I went for the long version which is perfect. Not had any issues parking.

ryderredman
    Free Member

On the ‘What van for someone who has no money’ front. I’ve been looking at the Hyundai i800, its more of a shuttleline but I’m hoping that the seats come out easy enough.

Nico
    Free Member

On the ‘What van for someone who has no money’ front. I’ve been looking at the Hyundai i800, its more of a shuttleline but I’m hoping that the seats come out easy enough.

Ten years ago I’d have bought a Hiace, despite the absence of any “drives like a car” qualities. But real Hiaces are long in the tooth now and the new ones a just badged up Simcas or something.

Hence I’ve looked at Hyundais too. Good price and Hyundai seem to be pretty reliable vehicles in general. I seem to remember reading that the seats don’t come out though. Barn doors are the norm afai can see.

It also comes with the Top Gear seal of disapproval*, so it can’t be bad:

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyundai/i800

* It never claps its flippers.

scotroutes

I have a (old style) Trafic van. Removed the bulkhead, had windows and removable rear seats fitted and lined/insulated it. It’ll seat 5 comfortably, 6 at a push, has room for 6 bikes and gear and the Mrs and I have used it (with an airbed) for camping. It’s a really flexible arrangement and the insulation means that it doesn’t sound like a big, empty drum when you are driving.

Olly
    Free Member

Drove a Ducato for work and own a T5.
    Ducato feels like a van
    T5 feels much more like a car to me. Actually makes it harder to drive in a way. At least in a Ducato you remember its big. I find on the T5 i’m always cutting the corners shorter and bringing the flanks too close to stuff.

Also, a friend has had his lowered by 40mm, and alloys put on it. It corners noticeably flatter and with less deflection than my non-dicked-about-with van.

You pay stupid money for a transporter, but they hold it well. They are NOT any better than anything else imo.
    Depends on your budget, and what you intend to do with it in use, and what you intend to do with it in the long term (ie, sell or run till it explodes).

haydenw
    Free Member

How about a Dispatch / Scudo / Expert combi van?

I picked up the Dispatch and converted it into a day van / stealth camper https://haydenwsite.wordpress.com/2016/07/05/another-update-on-the-citroen-dispatch-diy-camper-day-van/

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What van?’ is closed to new replies.