Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What tyre for a Stans Crest ZTR?
  • Mackem

After a right old battle getting a Nobby Nic off a Crest ZTR does anyone know of a decent tyre that goes on and off a bit easier?

I’ll take the plunge and go tubeless but I like the security of knowing I can just pop a tube in if there’s a problem on the trail.

So, any recommendations, cheers.

bob_summers

Mark, I’ve run Larssen TTs (UST & normal), conti MKs 2.2 & 2.4, and Nevegals, no problems. Once the tyre is up on the ‘shoulder’ it can take a bit of force to pop it off and into the centre channel, but I’ve done it several times recently with frozen fingers and sense of humour failure, and managed to get a tube in no bother.

Mackem

Cheers. How was the mudfest?

nicko74

Bontys seem to work fairly well – XR3 or XR4. Can be a bit of a pain getting the tyre to shift from centre channel to lip of the rim, but it’s normally just a case of pumping up the pressure a bit.

br
    Free Member

Most Maxxis, Bontrager, NN etc fit and tbh in 5 years of tubeless I’ve yet to put a tube in. Carry a t/l repair kit.

bob_summers

Not bad, lots of folk struggled though. Think there are some still up there!
    I won my category (Singlespeeds with Luggage Racks)

manitou
    Free Member

right .. what is the secret to getting tyres on and off Crest ZTR rims.. Ive tried and i cant do it.

jezandu
    Free Member

Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs on mine. Come on and off with no real issues, just a one tyre lever needed to get them off. Just make sure you unseat the tyre bead ALL the way around from the rim or it’ll be stupid tight.

Mackem

Hmm. Practice needed I think. These things are new to me. So, am I right in thinking, when putting them on, put the bead in the middle of the rim?

nicko74

right .. what is the secret to getting tyres on and off Crest ZTR rims.. Ive tried and i cant do it

As Mackem says, the bead goes in the centre channel – it’s the only way you can get the bead onto the rim all the way round. The problem I’ve then found is getting the bead to shift from the channel to the lip and seated properly. In the end I used washing up liquid and a track pump and it was relatively easy.

bigjim

2012 nobby nics are the only ones i’ve had trouble with on a crest, all other maxxis, kenda and older schwalbe have been no problem.

Mackem

After a bit of extra googling 2012 Nobby Nics are notoriously bad with ZTR. Was going to get some Larsen TTs in a bit, so might just get them sooner.

puddings
    Free Member

My experience this weekend would suggest avoiding Specialized Storm Control – even with heating them and then washing up liquid, I still used a lot of rude words.

manitou
    Free Member

well that’s typical.. just bought Noby Nics to put on the Crest rims….. b•••••ks

Mackem

I managed to get my Nobby Nics on this morning with only my hands this morning. Just pinch squeeze everything into the central bit

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I bought a Rocket Ron and a Racing Ralph from bike-discount.de a couple of weeks ago and they go on my Crests OK with the help of a lever

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What tyre for a Stans Crest ZTR?’ is closed to new replies.