Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What to do with my Cotic Soul? (Show me your repurposed 26″ MTBs)
  • thebunk

My Cotic Soul in The One True Colour, last of the straight steerers, currently with a borked set of Revelations on it is slowly rotting in my garage.

Thought I’d use it more as a 2nd mtb for tamer trails, but I haven’t.

Gravel bike? Fancy pub bike? What else?

tuboflard

I’m in the process of building up a BFe in to a sturdy commuter. Got some Surly ECR forks in 29+ going on the frame, some cheap wheels off here, Maxxis DTH tyres and probably going to go single speed on it too.

Next steps will be a Surly 24 pack rack on the front and either a wide set of low riser bars or maybe Surly Corner Bar.

keithb

Rigid forks, cheap NW chainring and SS sprocket off Amazon, ride it.

EOT.

fatbrad
    Free Member

My 26er is my only MTB. It’s a YT Wicked. Built it up on a budget after realising I needed a burlier bike than the 100mm 650b Hardtail I was using. It’s awesome. I love it. Thanks to @dc1988. I keep ahead of my mates on their 29ers on the downhills. Ok I struggle a little on the climbs but that’s more because I’m a fat bap and they’re on e-bikes 😀 But after 8 years of the road I know how to enjoy the suffering on a climb.

MoreCashThanDash

My Mk1 is still my only mountain bike, not following the question.

thebunk

Fair play @MoreCashThanDash! I adore my Soul, and never thought my new fangled carbon full suss 29er was anything more than a mid life crisis, but here we are. Also, it’s <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>impossible to find straight steerer 26″ forks nowadays.</span>

@tuboflard
    what size wheels are you going with? What fits?

tuboflard

Sticking with 26” wheels for now @thebunk but largely because that’s what I picked up cheap and also as I want to run reasonably wide tyres (2.3 DTH’s though Wiggle keep sending me the smaller size).

Could definitely go 27.5 on the front with the fork I’ve got, it’ll take up to a 29 x 3.0.

gringo

I still have my old 26″ Dialled Prince Albert. I started to build it up with rigid forks and squeezed a 27.5 wheel in the rear. Got some 2.4 Schwalbe tyres on it and set it up singlespeed but that’s as far as I got…not sure what to do with it now. It still needs brakes, bars etc – probably just use it round the local park with my kids on their bikes.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

When my old 1 1/8 reba fork died my Gen 2 Soul was retired as well (replaced by the ubiquitous midlife carbon 29er full sus), and it now hangs as a stripped down frame in the garage with all other parts on the wife’s (also ageing but now surprisingly well spec’d!) 26″ HT…..hoping to maybe one day resurrect it as a thrash/general duties bike for the kids to spare their good ones for pure trail duties.

BadlyWiredDog

I stuck a cheapo On One 26″ rigid carbon fork on the front of mine then added a 29″ front wheel with a 2.4″ Ardent, plus flat bars and a flipped stem to keep the front end low-ish. Then I singlespeeded it with an outboard eccentric bottom bracket.

It was surprisingly good. Very light – ti frame – and a bit different.

nt80085

Stealth ad: Got a brand new set of rigid pipedream Alice forks (straight steerer) in wonderland blue I was going to use on my mk3 soul decided to keep mine stock so they’re surplus to requirements. £75 posted with axle. DM me if interested.

waliboy

didnthurt

Give it to someone who will get the most from it. I gave mine to a friend at work who was looking to get a bike to ride with his kids and the occasional trail.

waliboy

Not a Cotic, but here’s what I did with my Dialled Love/Hate:

waliboy

And the other one:

thebunk

@didnthurt nice idea, but it’s in the sort of condition that for most people it wouldn’t be worth sorting out. I’ve got a bit of an emotional attachment to the frame though so…

@waliboy
    well they’re rather lovely. Have they been resprayed?

waliboy

Yes, resprayed and a range of mtb/gravel parts added. Can’t really decide if I prefer the Geoff bars or drop bars, but they’re both getting a new lease of life and keep bringing a smile to my face a good 16 years after I first got them!

TheDTs
    Free Member

This thread makes me annoyed that my mk2 was stolen. I even have a spare pair of forks in the garage.

slackboy

There’s 100mm rebas with 1 1/8 steerers on chain reaction right now and a couple of places that will press a straight steerer into a tapered CSU (e.g. https://www.rsfsus.co.uk/) if you want to get it back to life as a MTB.

There also seems to be a lot more choice of 26″ tyres than there was a couple of years ago.

I’m running a couple of ’90’s MTBs right now – one is a pure shopper and the other is a XC machine with a modern 1x drive train

ctk
    Free Member

Slick tyred commuter/ pub bike. Or sell it.

crazy-legs

There’s 100mm rebas with 1 1/8 steerers on chain reaction right now

£520 for the QR, 100mm travel, 26″ wheel version! 😳
    Wow…

I’m in need of some new forks for my ancient Cove – the rest of it is largely operational albeit obsolete stuff like a triple chainset, ISIS BB etc but the current Psylo forks are way past their best.

But I can’t justify £520 on forks for a bike that gets ridden half a dozen times a year…

I did, for a while, look at turning it into a towpath commuter bike but as I’m not commuting any more, I’m quite glad I never got around to that.

FOG

Mine has some old carbon forks, a set of 700c road wheels left over from an upgrade ,gravel tyres and narrower bars with Crane Creek bar ends. It makes a great all rounder for taking grandkids out or not too serious gravel riding

BruceWee

This ebay seller seems to have some decent straight steerer forks available. I used him for a set of Lyriks to keep my mk1 Nomad on the road.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=gp-tuned&_pgn=2&_skc=60&rt=nc

thebunk

@stwhannah I missed that article first time round, what a great read!

thanks for the fork intel everyone. Tempting just to get a new squishy fork and sell/pass it on. But I also on like the idea of a single speed rigid funny handlebar’d gravel thingy.

TheDTs
    Free Member

What size is your frame?
    Best stealth ad ever BTW.

cookeaa

Rigid forks, cheap NW chainring and SS sprocket off Amazon, ride it.

EOT.

^^This^^

much harder to Bork a rigid fork, less drivetrain faff with 1x or SS (up to you really), just have it on standby for emergencies/pub/lending/whatever…

I’d maybe even go so far as to say set it up with tubes just so you don’t have to remember to top up sealant (?) But the point would be to keep it functional and ready…

Or stick it on eBay and prepare to be amazed by what people are willing to spend on your old stuff…

twonks

I’ve done this a number of times, with the best looking and feel good riding machine being my old 1999 Zaskar LE frame. Sourced some GT rigid forks and rode it on the road for a few months.

This was years ago and well before 26″ was on the way out. Didn’t take long to realise it was compromised as a road bike and didn’t really think at the time it could be a gravel bike – maybe I could have started a new trend 😉

I then bought a proper road bike and sold the Zaskar frame. Got a good price from somebody in Italy but regret selling it to this day.

Then I sold the road bike as I found road riding boring.

Into more recent times, I built up a new carbon Whippet framed bike with their carbon forks. initially it was a light build with SS gearing and flew everywhere.

Many different builds later, it was sold yesterday as I wasn’t riding it.

Moral of the story, only bother if you will keep riding it.

Not saying sell it, just maybe place it somewhere you can smile and remember the good rides it took you on.

Or if you can detach yourself from a lump of nicely painted metal, build it up and sell it.

ahsat

Make it home office decor, as I did with mine 😉

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRwr9W3hs3Y/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Changed this

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/P3743L]2022-04-23_12-12-02[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Into this – still 26″

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/c06MpW]20200403_193707 (1)[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

rossburton
    Free Member

I want a single speed gravel thing that doesn’t look expensive, so if it’s a large I may be very interested in it. The more tattered the better.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Car-killer? ie Groceries/errands/pub/everything/cargo bike conversion. Pref singlespeed, steel forks with some cruiser or moto bars and balloon slicks.

What’s that? need some inspurrrational pics?

link

Or spend a bit lot more on some cargo forks (Unless you’re handy wielding a welding torch?)

*GT* karakoram elite × *CRUST BIKES* clydesdale cargo fork

I had nothing as nice as that GT Karrykoram but did stick a big steel basket on the front of an old Saracen MTB and it was ace finding excuses just go and get bread and beer and, flowers and beer and curries, chips, soup, leeks and lightbulbs. And sticking the vees up at my own car on the way out. Sweet trips to the pub 🚲

p7eaven
    Free Member

(don’t forget the folding double kickstand!)

tuboflard

That GT is the kind of inspiration I’m after with my build. This Instagram feed is also helping.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc9vIscs5qY/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

poah
    Free Member

my 26ers are still used as mountain bikes.

jamj1974

Built up my old Soda frame for my son. Mostly used his existing parts – so his 650b Ctossride wheels have gone on. They fit with room to spare – which is good, as my only remaining 26” disc wheels are on my daughters bike.

Rides very well apparently. Son took it on its shakedown ride today and really enjoyed it!

squirrelking
    Free Member

@tuboflard stridsland journal is your man on Insta/Web, he’s done some really nice bikes.

tuboflard

Cheers @squirrelling, not heard of him, some of his builds are stunning.

intheborders
    Free Member

I gave my old 456 frame and a large collection of bits & pieces to our local bike charity. I’m never going to use it again.

flyingmonkeycorps

I only have 26″ MTBs – a Rocket (which is still far more capable than me, and was ace fun down Jacob’s Ladder yesterday) and a 456.

Currently toying with options to lighten the 456 a bit as it mainly gets used for local rides. I’ve already got a lovely pair of lightweight wheels for it, next job is to get rid of the Lyriks that badly need a service. And keep an eye out for a lighter frame…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.