Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • What to do about a drunk driver?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Some of you may remember my p!sshead neighbour from an earlier thread.

Well I was sat in the back room just now when I heard an engine revving a bit high out in the street. Poked my head out the upstairs window to see the neighbours car skew whiff across our drive having driven over one 18″ high flower pot and reversed back into a second much larger flower pot and snapping an upright of the the wooden porch over the front door.

As I’m leaning out of the window he opens the car door. I shout down to him to get out of the car and that I’ll come down and park it for him as he’s clearly incapable. By the time I get some shoes on and get out the front he’s already trying to park it himself. After a few attempts he managed to sort of get on his drive.

Now I’m not too bothered about the damage I’m sure his missus will pay for it but he was in a right state to be driving and really could have injured someone and probably not even known about it. he was that drunk.

I gave him a right b***ocking and know realise that i should have taken the keys off of him when I had the chance but given the heat of the moment I didn’t think of it until too late. Once he’s in the house he’ll not open the door again so that opportunity has passed.

Is there any legal way to get him to stop driving or is it just a case of waiting for him to get caught out?

Thought I could have a word with his wife this evening, get the keys and remove the distributor cap or some such while he was sleeping it off. Any other suggestions? No point letting the tyres down as I doubt he’d notice that he was driving on the rims.

It’s a fine line between not wanting to get drawn into his sorry life and trying to make sure he doesn’t hurt anyone else.

Cougar

Grass him up to the plod.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shop him.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Grass him up to the plod.

Happy to do that, but can they do anything once he’s no longer in the car?

Cougar

Eeees got a shoooootah! *dives behind the Ford Granada*

Ahem. Sorry.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Once in the house he’s pretty much safe I’m afraid, but I’d still grass him and warn them he’s likely to do it again.

Cougar

can they do anything once he’s no longer in the car?

Probably not, unless you’re prepared to testify against him. I was thinking more of telling them next time he goes out, otherwise they’ll know it was you wot grassed, innit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What they can do is put an anpr marker on the car reg no. You can also tell them when he heads off out and tell them where he drinks. This will increase the chances of him being stopped greatly

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

It’s ok saying “grass him up to the plod”, but you have to live next to this guy.

I would say you want an apology, everything repaired/replaced that was damaged and a firm assurance that there will be no more drunken behaviour or you will go straight to the police.

RealMan
    Free Member

Then sell them on ebay, to pay for the damages.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I suspect not much other than giving him a talking to. There was a crash at my place last winter where a car went through a fence, jumped a stream then hit a tree. Given the depth of snow and ice on the layby that he/she would have to have driven over there is no way in my mind that the driver could have been anything other than drunk. Especially as they just got out the car and walked home without trying to get any help. The police admitted in that case that there was very little they could do.

You should still report him though.

binners

Torch his car

project
    Free Member

Llangollen sunday morning 2.00am , woman hits 2 pedestrians, she was arrested on suspision of being drunk drunk, she got bail, one pedestrian is in serious troble with a head injury only in his 20,s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13940418

ALWAYS PHONE THE POLICE, IT COULD BE YOU YOUR WIFE OR KIDS NEXT, THEN THINK HOW YOUD FEEL,

REMEMBER THE CALL IS FREE……….AND YOU DONT HAVE TO GIVE YOUR NAME.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Oh ffs – you see someone breaking the law so unable to make a decision you come onto stw a biking forum and ask the middle aged ICT bods on here. In the mean time he is out of the car and now not braking the law, MTFU and ring 999

Lifer
    Free Member

Definitely call the police so they know to keep an eye out.

wwaswas

Once in the house he’s pretty much safe I’m afraid

really? It’s not like playing ‘it’ when you only have to touch ‘home’ and you’re safe.

If there’s evidence the car has been driven (warm engine) and he was the driver then the police can breathalize him (even if he claims to have had a drink since getting home) and extrapolate blood alcohol back to when he was driving.

Shop him, it’s best for everyone – including him in the long run.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s ok saying “grass him up to the plod”, but you have to live next to this guy.

I would say you want an apology, everything repaired/replaced that was damaged and a firm assurance that there will be no more drunken behaviour or you will go straight to the police.

Aye, great idea – ask the alcoholic nicely not to drink and drive… 😯 🙄

You don’t have to give your name, anyone could have shopped him – don’t be daft and wait for someone to be hurt.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If there’s evidence the car has been driven (warm engine) and he was the driver then the police can breathalize him (even if he claims to have had a drink since getting home) and extrapolate blood alcohol back to when he was driving.

You’d think. Chap came barrelling down our old road passed a primary school, bounced off 4 cars, clipped the kerb twice, turned up his drive and dived inside the house. Police were called and informed, turned up at the door, guy had a full glass of single malt in his hand, breathalised – failed (obviously) – got to police station 30 minutes later, high reading obviously. Went to court and was thrown out as it couldn’t be proved that he hadn’t had a bad day and just downed half a bottle when he walked in (his story). Insurance paid for the damages but he was off driving again fairly soon after.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You should have stuck him in the first time.

binners

Do you know what pub he dinks in? Bloke I used to work with was a perpetual drink driver. Someone gave the plod the nod about which pub he would be staggering out of come last orders. They simply waited round the corner and pulled him when he pulled out of the car park. Do the same!

If that happens, would he know he’d been shopped? Let alone who by? By the sounds of it, he’d have trouble telling you which way was up!

wwaswas

coffeeking – it’s true but if he hasn’t the nous to do that then he’s going to get done.

and repeated police visits if he persists may well make it more uncomfortable for him than he wants…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you call the cops and they go round to his house for a quiet chat, it might wake him up a bit. Probably not, but maybe. Nobody likes the cops turning up at their house

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You should have stuck him in the first time.

This is the first time I’ve known him out in the car whilst drunk.

Do you know what pub he dinks in?

No idea.

a firm assurance that there will be no more drunken behaviour or you will go straight to the police.

Not gonna work with a barely functioning alcoholic

Phoned the police. Reported him and had a bit of a chat to the operator. She reckons there’s not much that can be done now that he’s “no longer committing a crime” but will pass on his details to the local station.

Whilst officially the right thing this isn’t really going to help someone avoid being hit by him in the near future so I’m back to thinking how best to disable his car.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Happy to do that, but can they do anything once he’s no longer in the car?

It has been known to happen. Friend lost his licence years ago when plod turned up and checked him, just downed a bottle of whiskey excuse doesn’t work, the can tell from blood test

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m back to thinking how best to disable his car

potato on the exhaust pipe. if he’s pissed he’ll never work it out

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I haven’t read the response but YOU MUST PHONE THE POLICE. If you know it’s regularly report it, it’ll go to your roads policing department who may be able to sit up on his car if they know it’s happening regularly. If you know where he drinks a bonus. Otherwise next time you suspect he’s about to drive off drunk dial 999 police will hopefully pull him and eventially he’ll get caught. as mentioned if you don’t do anything about it he WILL kill someone, he’ll get some pathetic gaol term and will be released, the victim’s family will suffer forever. It could even be your family? think about it and report him.

spacemonkey

potato on the exhaust pipe. if he’s pissed he’ll never work it out

I remember me and a mate crammed our post-clubbing kebab ‘wrappers’ up someone’s exhaust on the walk home a few years ago. Drove past a few hours later and there he was under the bonnet with his pipe still pugged up.

Oh how we laughed.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Big self-adhesive printed vinyl sheets ‘WARNING: DRUNK DRIVER’.

No perm damage, he’ll get the message.

TheFlyingOx

[Bez]Call the cops![/Bez]

Seriously. It will not stop until you do. All apologies and assurances from a non-drunk alcoholic are merely a way of getting you off their back so they can get to the business of getting their next fix. I speak from close family experience.

Said family member has now had their car crushed and a lengthy ban – not long enough IMO – but it took 3 arrests for drink driving, two of them within the space of 24 hours (arrested, sobered up in cell, sent home, drank remaining vodka from previous night then drove to supermarket for more) before it happened. Thankfully a neighbour shopped them after seeing the car bouncing along hedgerows/walls/bollards on the way.

binners

Why not get absolutely steaming, falling-over pissed yourself, then you could indulge ina bit of knockabout, Dukes of Hazzard style action, with you as Roscoe P Coltrane.

He’ll never actually be able to do any of that jumping over bridges stuff like Bo and Luke. Not unless he’s really been practicing*. He’ll ended up upside down in a tree in a suitably comic fashion, shaking his fist at you as you make your getaway.

* You might want to check this. Its the type of thing that seems like a good idea when your arseholed. Well it is to me anyway

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m back to thinking how best to disable his car

With the co-operation of his wife, this is what I’d do. It could be your family he wipes out, it could even be you ffs.

Then perhaps when he’s sat there turning it over you can call the fuzz – is attempting to drive pissed a crime?

crispo
    Free Member

is attempting to drive pissed a crime?

Depends if he is parked on the road or a driveway.

surfer
    Free Member

I did this

Drunk driver

Dont be looking to disable his car you have no obligation to save him from himslef only to save others from his selfish actions.
    Before he got home he could have killed or maimed innocent people.
    How would you feel if he is involved in an accident in future and you were aware of the history?

molgrips
    Free Member

is attempting to drive pissed a crime?
    Depends if he is parked on the road or a driveway.

Surely it’s intent to commit a crime?

You could just wait for him to start the car, call the cops and explain, then go over to offer a hand. Replace the HT leads or whatever you’ve nicked surreptitiously, being careful to take long enough about it to let the cops turn up and lurk around the corner. When they give you the pre-arranged sign of the screech of a tawny owl, fix car, let him drive into their trap.

Cougar

potato on the exhaust pipe.

I’d be careful trying to nobble his car, that sort of action tends to backfire.

TiRed

call the police – he may be serving a ban already.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Surely it’s intent to commit a crime?

Minority Report anyone? 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

potato on the exhaust pipe.

I’d be careful trying to nobble his car, that sort of action tends to backfire.

I see what you did there….nice one!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

For the folk still saying report him. It’s already done and as suspected there is not much they can do as he is no longer driving the car.

The ideas about waiting for the next time he tries to use the car seem to require me to sit sentry like in the front window of my house waiting for him to make a move. Then assuming he looks drunk (which for an alcoholic to look drunk he would need to be really hammered) I phone the Police and hope that they will send someone round in the time it takes him to drive no further than the top of the road. After that point it’s anybodies guess where he going.

Not entirely sure that this approach is very practical.

The weird thing I’m learning about alcoholics is that no matter how out of control they appear they can also be quite cunning, hiding money, spare keys, credit cards and the like. Given this newly acquired information I doubt he’s going to voluntarily tell me where he goes drinking in the morning.

morgs
    Free Member

honestly? I’d have battered him.

If he was that pi$$ed he wouldn’t have noticed and woken up with a major hangover as well as a few injuries to boot.

My 2p

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What to do about a drunk driver?’ is closed to new replies.