Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • What this forum does for you ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

How do you like it ?

I love bikes I work with bikes and have done longer than I care to remember…but I dont ride my bike as often as I should !

But yet still think this forum is great !

What do you like it for/how do you use it ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I use it to rob me of all productivity at work beyond the minimum required to get fired.

MrSmith
    Free Member

A window into the mind of middle England.
    Most of which makes me laugh.

molgrips
    Free Member

One of my colleagues has taken up MTBing in the last year or so. He seems to have immediately become the archetypal STWer. When I call him he waffles on about buying bikes, how much better 29ers are than 26ers and his plans to lose weight and get fit.

If you’re reading this Gerry – hi 🙂

Drac

Met a huge network of friends through this forum.

rocketman
    Free Member

A useful insight into the thoughts and opinions of other people

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s good for a giggle but I’ve discovered some fantastic websites through this place and no matter what your query someone here will have the answer or at least point you in the right direction. It’s a great place for that.

On the down side I do find the sensitivity of some on here tiring. So many just looking for an argument, but regardless I’d happily go for a bike ride with anyone on here. Good folk all in all.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

fervouredimage = well said

ton

makes me smile
    and fills my dreary day.

RealMan
    Free Member

Best place on the internet. I actually wish I had more time to come on here sometimes.

So much information, advice, experience, emotion, humour, PSAs, fantastic pictures, debates (well, silly arguments.. sometimes), and of course, bikes. There’s only one thing I can think of that’s missing, but it is a family site after all…

Kryton57

fervouredimage – Member
    It’s good for a giggle but I’ve discovered some fantastic websites through this place and no matter what your query someone here will have the answer or at least point you in the right direction. It’s a great place for that.

On the down side I do find the sensitivity of some on here tiring. So many just looking for an argument, but regardless I’d happily go for a bike ride with anyone on here. Good folk all in all.

That and;

molgrips – Member
    I use it to rob me of all when times of productivity at work beyond the minimum required to get fired are low.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What ton sed innit

DezB
    Free Member

Yep.
    Plus some of the videos you get on here are the things you just wanna share.
    Like that Russian driving cam video. EVERYONE loves that!

footflaps

So many just looking for an argument,

It used to be a *LOT* worse before the great banning weekend of 1648.

binners

It satiates my sociopathic tendencies just sufficiently that I can interact with others in an almost functioning, only slightly-murderously-inclined way in the real world. Thus saving the NHS money on strong medication, and the prison service the cost of my continued incarceration

brooess
    Free Member

A useful insight into the thoughts and opinions of other people

What Rocketman said.
    Always thought-provoking perspectives I wouldn’t have thought of myself.
    Also a huge amount of knowledge and experience in the collective STW hive mind that I couldn’t possible amass on my own.

Oh and the sense of humour on here is better than anything I’ve found in real life… Picolax remains one of the funniest pieces of comedy I’ve ever known 🙂

maccruiskeen

It tells me what Torys think 🙂 STW was the first place I ever heard anyone express a tory political viewpoint as their own. Up until then I knew roughly half the people I meet day to day must vote conservative but I never heard anyone say they did, or promote or defend a tory policy.

So theres lots that that useful about the forum and the diversity of its members – about a decade ago I used it to find out the hole size and pitch on the steel mesh panels on the gantries over the M25 – but its the honesty that results from the anonymity of the forum thats is often most revealing even it it isn’t always palatable.

wordnumb
    Free Member

It cleared up several questions that have worried me for too long:

Which is better, full sus or HT?
    What tyres for never needing to switch tyres ever again?
    Will 29ers trigger the end times?
    And taught me the correct use of apostrophe’s.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And taught me the correct use of apostrophe’s.

… and the deployment of irony…

wordnumb
    Free Member

Indeed. Hot side downward.

franksinatra

The ability to post the post random of questions about anything and nearly always get an answer within minutes is astonishing. In this respect it is one of the most useful resources on the internet.

Also love the photo threads.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

lets me know ehen everybody is back in work from the christmas holidays by the number of posts from bored computer warriors
    reminds me that everything is Maggie Thatcher’s fault

Kryton57

It taught me even Mayan’s can get it wrong sometimes….

richmtb

It tells me what Torys think STW was the first place I ever heard anyone express a tory political viewpoint as their own. Up until then I knew roughly half the people I meet day to day must vote conservative but I never heard anyone say they did, or promote or defend a tory policy.

This + 1

Which BTW is not a bad thing

Also very useful for any mechanical queries bike related or otherwise

thegreatape
    Free Member

What this forum does for you?

90% amusement
    10% answers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just like Binners, it’s effectively a free social worker for me, helping me work on my alpha male fantasy.

franksinatra

should also add, hidden away between the great photos, silly arguments, political discussions and daft questions, you sometimes get stunning insights into peoples lives and the genuine support offered by complete strangers. Thinking in particular about the relationship threads and in particular the Bullheart Cancer thread.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Just like Binners, it’s effectively a free social worker for me, helping me work on my alpha male fantasy.

Tell us about your relationship with your father… 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some top flight banter and some great conversation/pics about bikes.

A lifeline when I’m holed up in a hotel in some hole somewhere on the other side of the world!

footflaps

It tells me what Torys think STW was the first place I ever heard anyone express a tory political viewpoint as their own. Up until then I knew roughly half the people I meet day to day must vote conservative but I never heard anyone say they did, or promote or defend a tory policy.

Very true – I don’t know anyone who would openly express a Tory political bias, yet it’s very common on here. Maybe the use of forum names to hide identity lets people feel free to express their true feelings, no matter how morally repugnant they are 😉

Bregante

I work some very odd hours and often need to mentally unwind for a few hours when I get home. For me it’s a sort of online boozer where I know everybody and I can eavesdrop in on a conversation and take part if I fancy. If its the pub bore holding court I might go and sit elsewhere and now and again there’s a bit of handbags at dawn but all in all, it’s not a bad local. 🙂

maccruiskeen

Very true – I don’t know anyone who would openly express a Tory political bias, yet it’s very common on here.

When the tory party was in the absolute doldrums – when Armando Iannuci was able to wave hundreds of pounds in front of people and say ‘Can you name a member of the Tory front bench’ and they couldn’t….. CFH was a loan conservative voice in the internet wilderness. He popped my cherry! 🙂

sparkyrhino

nothing better for toilet ploppy time

psling
    Free Member

STW singlehandedly provides sufficient research material to complete a masters on the effects of the post war UK education system 8)

fasthaggis

I found this site while stalking someone.

ian-r

Strangely it’s been the amount of new and diverse music people have recommended?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It helped me promote he Big Bike bash mercilessly for the first event and slightly less for the subsequent ones. This has turned a party in my back garden into a regular event that raises tens of thousands if pounds for the UK Youth charity.

It also linked me up with a STWer who could make me a modified crutch when I bust my ankle so I could at least partially function.

It also makes me giggle sometimes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use it to make me Laugh 😆
    I already know everything so theres nothing that can be learned, I have unlearned stuff though which is an interesting concept for me.. 😆

The best bits are the banter and peoples life experiances, the photo threads and other Members interests outside of bikes and riding, some excellent music officianardos here, some superb photographers too.

Not bothered about the arguing, I steer clear of that nonsence.

I do wish I didn’t post so much on here though. 🙄

footflaps

I found this site while stalking someone.

Do tell…..

killwillforchips
    Free Member

At first twas’ OK. but of late; not a lot!

All the “what do i like?” & “what should i do?” questions get tedious.

Bantors good tho’ but too many colourful characters have disappeared/banned!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘What this forum does for you ?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM