Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • So what is it about John Lewis Christmas adverts….
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s quite well done.
    I don’t think advertising/consumerism and producing nice work need be mutally exclusive. 2 minutes in John Lewis normally has me on the verge of going postal and the Christmas consumer rush normally just saddens/annoys me but if something’s well done, it’s well done.

martinhutch

I love the original of the song. Advert didn’t do much for me though, although it’s nicely done.

I can’t really empathise with snowpeople. I’m probably verging on autistic.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Ad would be nothing without the music (pretty obvious really). Much prefer the Frankie Goes original to the cover.

CountZero

First time I saw it tonight and googled the music seems to be just a cut down version of Power of Love and not a full song

The singer is Gabrielle Aplin, from Sutton Benger, near Chippenham, where I live. She’s an ex-pupil of my old school, just turned 20, and studied at City of Bath College in music technology. She’s been doing stripped-down acoustic covers of classic songs and putting them on YouTube for the last three years, and getting guitar tuition from a mate of mine who’s garage services the car I bought from them. She signed to Parlophone in the summer, was about to release her own song when John Lewis picked up on this one. So now you know who she is.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The snowman doesn’t appear to have money, so must have stolen those goods.
    I know shoplifting is all the rage at Christmas, but I’m sure it’s not the message baby Jesus wanted us to take from it.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

As much as many people hate to recognise or admit it… Advertising is a cornerstone of our world ‘system’. Even if we return to using those lovely little corner shops, the local butchers and the baker delivering bread after the ringtons tea man has been around with his wicker basket full of biscuits and tea bags (childhood memory) advertising will still be present because we rely on growth and selling things in large quantities to people.

Just enjoy the world for what it is you miserable sods.

It’s quite well done.
    I don’t think advertising/consumerism and producing nice work need be mutally exclusive. 2 minutes in John Lewis normally has me on the verge of going postal and the Christmas consumer rush normally just saddens/annoys me but if something’s well done, it’s well done.

No you’re right it doesn’t need to be mutually exclusive but the fact is that for many creative and talented people, it’s a career not a gamble. This world is full of people who want everything for free, and if you’re making beautiful videos on your own people will enjoy them but no one will give you a penny unless samuel l jackson stumbles upon your video on his ipad and you’re roped in to make his next film. It’s the lesser of two evils and let’s just enjoy the fact we live in a world where we can have great adverts that can serve the purpose of furthering economies (often abused, I know – but lets ignore that for now) and be enjoyable too?

Jamie
    Free Member

I won’t even bother using my account.

As much as many people hate to recognise or admit it… Advertising is a cornerstone of our world ‘system’. Even if we return to using those lovely little corner shops, the local butchers and the baker delivering bread after the ringtons tea man has been around with his wicker basket full of biscuits and tea bags (childhood memory) advertising will still be present because we rely on growth and selling things in large quantities to people.

Just enjoy the world for what it is you miserable sods.

Welcome [back] to the forum.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s an advert.

For a shop.

It cost 6 million quid.

Weep at its beauty if you want, but it was made with the express purpose of making you buy stuff.

It’s not art, there is no soul there, there is no deeper meaning. The world is not made a better place by the existence of this.

It’s made to make you buy stuff.

If that makes me an angry misanthrope ‘I’m loving it’. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

It cost 6 million quid.

Just think what you could get for that…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc[/video]

crikey
    Free Member

Now that’s art.

crikey
    Free Member

…and look at inflation; in those days it cost 6 million quid to rebuild a man, now you get an advert…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Welcome [back] to the forum.

Yep. I wonder who it is……

Jamie
    Free Member

…and look at inflation; in those days it cost 6 million quid to rebuild a man, now you get an advert…

Yeah, but would you get grown women crying at a bionic man?

Actually, that’s probably for the best. Electronics and salt water don’t mix.

crikey
    Free Member

The adjusted figure, using the Bureau of Labor Statistics is actually 31 million dollars.

That’s 5 John Lewis ads…

Jamie
    Free Member

$31m. That’s a spicy meatball…

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

It’s not art, there is no soul there, there is no deeper meaning. The world is not made a better place by the existence of this.

It’s not art, but as difficult as it may be to see, there is a deeper meaning. Whether this makes the world a better place is entirely subjective – Unless I missed the memo you dont speak on the behalf of the entire world.

It will make the world a better place for a few in a small way. Then again, there is an element of art or ‘craft’ because you couldn’t make this advert. It was made by highly skilled videographers, designers, make up artists, special effects artists, musicians who are all artists in their own right. It’s just the same as looking at a beautiful old chair, you would probably say it isn’t art, but I would say it can be. Because we have to appreciate the fact it was made by someone with a stunning skill set and a creative outlook, and that that dedication and that craft makes it art if you want it to be.

Drac

Weep at its beauty if you want, but it was made with the express purpose of making you buy stuff.

You are Sherlock Holmes and I claim my 5 shillings.

crikey
    Free Member

It will make the world a better place for a few in a small way. Then again, there is an element of art or ‘craft’ because you couldn’t make this advert. It was made by highly skilled videographers, designers, make up artists, special effects artists, musicians who are all artists in their own right. It’s just the same as looking at a beautiful old chair, you would probably say it isn’t art, but I would say it can be. Because we have to appreciate the fact it was made by someone with a stunning skill set and a creative outlook, and that that dedication and that craft makes it art if you want it to be.

It’s a shop advert, ‘new’ boy.

Tom83

Jamie – Your first reply made me spit out the sip of beer i was having!

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

It’s a shop advert, ‘new’ boy.

Jus’ saying old timer.

yunki
    Free Member

ah, Crikey.. I get what you think you’re trying to say 😆

crikey
    Free Member

Yunki, I’m trying my best to live up to the angry misanthropic thing. I’d like to be one, but probably don’t have the stamina.

In the mean time, who is nukeproofriding? Pretty obviously not new, is he from Poplar, perchance?

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbhFT40RLY[/video]

The important thing is how far will they go…

crikey
    Free Member

Oh dear.

I feel a wave of misanthropy washing over me.

What next, David Bowie in a cardigan?

Jamie
    Free Member

How about David Bowie standing near a man in a cardigan?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fulrewj6Noo[/video]

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I really liked it.

I’m not going to analyse it any further than that.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s made to make you buy stuff.

I’ve never been into John Lewis.

And I don’t have any plans to do so in the near future.

Am I allowed to enjoy the advert ?

footflaps

I think its brilliant, really moving and their best yet.

The talent that goes into their adverts is just amazing.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

In the mean time, who is nukeproofriding? Pretty obviously not new, is he from Poplar, perchance?

Do I have to be somebody to voice an opinion? I’m not allowed to write my thoughts on an advert because i’m not an “accepted” stw insider?

crikey
    Free Member

Do I have to be somebody to voice an opinion? I’m not allowed to write my thoughts on an advert because i’m not an “accepted” stw insider?

You’ve even got the stw thing.

You aren’t new, you’re someone else posing as someone new, so give over.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It was alright, prefer the Aldi ones though.

& It certainly didn’t make me want to spend my hard earned at John Lewis’s in particular.

Don’t think adverts really work on me TBH.

d4
    Free Member

Maybe the 6 million blown on that explains why waitrose had to do the charity ad.

v10
    Free Member

I think its great.

Anyone saying that its a bad advert or advertising doesn’t directly work on them, there is a thread on here with John Lewis in the name and your reading and discussing it…

crikey
    Free Member

with John Lewis in the name and your reading and discussing it

…and, Professor, not shopping there….

The thread isn’t about the efficacy of marketing, so you don’t have to defend it.

Do pay attention at the back.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyone saying that its a bad advert or advertising doesn’t directly work on them, there is a thread on here with John Lewis in the name and your reading and discussing it…

Just reading & discussing won’t do much for sales though will it.

Scamper
    Free Member

As someone in early 40’s I thought last years and this years versions of classic songs were great on the ads, and made you at least remember them.

cinnamon_girl

Am I the only person who hasn’t seen it? I don’t watch or listen to adverts.

Don’t think I saw last years either!

Sandwich

The Sandwich family think it’s a great story. The changing facial expressions are what makes it.

CG the Guardian media page has a link to it or Google john Lewis Christmas ad.

v10
    Free Member

My my crikey aren’t we a condescending chap.

If you would care to notice that i said ‘directly’ work on them; So yes, you probably wont go out and do all of your Christmas shopping at John Lewis tomorrow (and neither will I).

I just find it ironic that because of this advert which many are saying doesn’t work, John Lewis is being discussed at length (and Debenhams/Selfridges etc aren’t) so its very easy to argue that its a successful piece of Marketing – therefore a successful advert whether you like it or not.

cinnamon_girl

CG the Guardian media page has a link to it or Google john Lewis Christmas ad.

But I have no intention of watching it!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘So what is it about John Lewis Christmas adverts….’ is closed to new replies.