• This topic has 26 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by chip.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What thin cable lock for nipping into cafe's etc?
  • MrSparkle

The Mrs wants one of those really thin coiled cable locks for when she goes in the cafe on a Sunday road ride. Don’t want to pay loads so anybody got any recommendations?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Kryptonite Modulus 1010S – light, 2 cables and really handy as it can be fitted to the frame.

Haze

Knog Milkman?

miketually
    Free Member

I got one from an outdoor shop for about a tenner year ago. It’s got a thin plastic-coated steel wire with a 3-digit number code to unlock. I use it for popping into shops out in the sticks on long rides.

IHN

Look for ski locks on eBay/Amazon

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Second Knog Milkman, really unobtrusive to keep in my camelbak, really wouldn’t want to leave it any great deal of time though since its not particularly strong.

D0NK

got one of these on the front of a magazine lots of years ago, light and ok for nipping in shops, strictly keep in line of sight only, to prevent opportunist scrotes, probably take a proper tea leaf about half a second to snip.

miketually
    Free Member
    beefheart
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these for when I have to lock a bike up.

Wouldn’t want anything thinner really.

towzer

if you have a tk maxx near you have a look – thicjk 1.5m cable, down from about 28 to 4 in bargain bin

woody74

I have one of the Oxford hoop locks as well, free with maybe MBUK a few years back. It is really small and light so perfect for that quick nip inside. It would stop anyone just walking off with your bike, but like all of these if anyone knew what they were doing they would cut the lock in seconds. Fine for nipping into a cafe/newsagent but I wouldn’t lock my bike up with it for say a pint or a trip to the barbers. Its a good emergency lock, better than nothing!!

globalti
    Free Member
    TheDoctor
    Free Member

cappuccino lock

MSP

I have an abus combiflex lock that I can just stick in a jersey pocket. Obviously I wouldn’t use it in the centre of a major town or city, but for nipping into a village shop or cafe it is fine.

TiRed

Kryptonite 712 Keeper cable lock is what you want. I’ve had one of those retractable Abus cables and the locking mechanism and retractor broke. I’ve also snapped a 712 with my hands when a hinge jammed, but I still think it is a reasonable solution for a “snatch and ride” theft. I used it to lock four bikes together on Brighton Beach for our Fish and Chips while we sat next to them. That is the level of security it’s good for.

The other Kryptonite listed above with two cables is far too bulky for the OP. I keep one in the boot for locking bikes inside the car to a luggage loop and on the roof rack. It is a good deterent, but you would not want to carry it on a road bike.

MrSparkle

Thanks everyone. Food for thought there. It will have to be light as she will be carrying it in a jersey pocket.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Parking your bike upside down also slows down/confuses a scrote.

somafunk

Lock it up wi a cheap cable lock through the frame n’ wheels and if you have to leave it for longer then either shift into both big rings and knock the shifting back down whilst stationary or remove the wheel skewers and loosen the stem bolts as well.

They may be able to cut your cable lock but they’ll not be able to ride away and the noise will alert you.

belugabob
    Free Member

Get your friend to look after your bike while you go into the shop/cafe?

Northwind

Just don’t trust a cable lock… The best of them are rubbish, the worst can be cut with kitchen scissors. So as long as you remember that it’s just stopping opportunistic people walking off with it, it won’t stop anyone who left the house planning to steal a bike, it’s fine.

tinribz
    Free Member

ORTRE locks are quite dinky,

Faster delivery than I expected and reasonable price with the $ exchange rate.

brakes
    Free Member

Parking your bike upside down also slows down/confuses a scrote.

what’s with that? I see that quite a lot and it draws attention to the bike IMO.

edhornby

I once had to cut through one that I lost the key for, it took about 5 strokes with a junior hacksaw, I was kinda shocked that it was that easy

if it’s a cafe in the middle of nowhere then maybe but in Manchester/bolton/etc then no way would I trust one

beefheart
    Free Member

I reckon I could rip through one of the thin thin ones with my bare hands, which is why I wouldn’t use less than the kryptonite cable lock I suggested above.
    To protect something worth a couple of grand etc, I don’t mind carrying a bit of extra weight in a back pack, or spending £20 on a lock.
    If I can help it I won’t leave my bike locked up at all, simples.

jonba
    Free Member

I have a life venture one. Mainly to stop some one walking off with it. Normally I just sit in a cafe so I can see ythe bike, take it into the shop or on the club run park it next to something with deep section wheels and more carbon in the hope it gets passed over.

DavidB
    Free Member

I get to the cafe first and have the other riders lean their bikes against mine, that way it’s the last to be nicked.

chip
    Free Member

I carry one of those abus mini cable locks , but only for nipping in and out where I can see the bike from where I am being served.

And would sit or stand outside close by if eating or drinking.
    [video]http://youtu.be/6HB-DKO1Xmk[/video]

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What thin cable lock for nipping into cafe's etc?’ is closed to new replies.