Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What the best way to bond Aluminium to Carbon?
  • LeeW

I’ve got a carbon frame with a PF30 BB shell, I’ve ordered a Sram PF30 to BSA adaptor which presses in to the frame. I’m wondering if it’d be worth while bonding the adaptor in to the frame? If so what’s the best glue/bonding agent to use?

wwaswas

Picture do a number of bearing fit formulas that are designed to be removable if necessary – they have good tech docs on their website so you can check they’re carbon suitable. Probably better than araldite, anyway 😉

limkilde
    Free Member

Get some Loctite for securing bearings

compositepro
    Free Member

you say press fit?

press fits work by providing mechanical interferance between parts not to need glue

however the destructions for bb30 say use loctite

the destructions for gxp say not looks like tightening the cups holds the press fit

STATO
    Free Member

With the PF30 to BSA adaptor dont you screw the HT2 type cups iinto the adaptor before installing it. I think you need to check the instructions before glueing.

LeeW

With the PF30 to BSA adaptor dont you screw the HT2 type cups iinto the adaptor before installing it. I think you need to check the instructions before glueing.

They do yeah, *Hair brained idea* If there was a permanent way to bond the adaptor in to the frame I was kind of hoping to, so I could make it more like a traditional frame. *Hair brained idea*

STATO
    Free Member

I went for a Praxis BB on mine, converts to 24mm axle, all alu and no flexy plastic. Much better than the Sram adaptor or BB units. There are other cheaper versions too.

richmars

In theory, you should insulate the Al from the carbon, to prevent galvanic corrosion, but the glue should do that if you ensure a even thickness and no voids.

LeeW

I went for a Praxis BB on mine, converts to 24mm axle, all alu and no flexy plastic. Much better than the Sram adaptor or BB units. There are other cheaper versions too.

Got one, but the rings hit the chainstay – even after conformation off Jeff Steber from Intense that it wouldn’t. I’m going to use the BSA adaptor, run a King Road BB with one spacer and it should give me enough room.

It’s a shame as the Praxis BB is a great idea.

wilko1999
    Free Member

A 75 / 25 ratio of imperial leather talc and cathedral city

I think, or it could be the tink dralking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What the best way to bond Aluminium to Carbon?’ is closed to new replies.