Home Forums Bike Forum what summer gravel tyres

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • what summer gravel tyres
    zilog6128

for dry non-rocky singletrack, gravel (obvs) & road. Fast rolling on road is desirable as you can get to the good stuff quicker :)

Currently running Vittoria Mezcal G2.0 which came on the bike which do actually seem pretty decent. I like the side knobblies for singletrack. Is there anything better out there? 45mm width.

Raddlers look pretty similar. Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H look interesting, lower central knobs so faster rolling? Not averse to different front & back!

13thfloormonk

Terreno Dry!

I use them for virtually everything except deliberately sloppy winter rides.

TNT for robustness but if you’re lighter on the bike than me and/or are sure the terrain will be non-rocky then go TLR (tan wall) for suppleness.

I would go 45mm if I could but can’t fit them through my forks

chakaping

I ride Raddlers all year round, they are great.

But I’ve been thinking I’d like to try some file tread tyres with less knobbles for summer.

Hopefully someone will link to some nice ones for a tenner each in the sales.

gkeeffe

+1 for terreno dry.  I ride 650b x 47c all year round.  A bit slippy in mud but good on everything else.

elray89
    Free Member

Terreno dry are excellent for the gravel bike.

I run the Mezcal rear on my XC bike and I’m also a big fan of that, but Terrenos are quicker on the smooth dry stuff where you aren’t getting gnarly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I came here to suggest Terreno Dry too.  I put a pair of 650 x 47B on my Fugio last month.  They seated nicely and hold air perfectly.  I rode some of The Ridgeway on them and was impressed by their performance.

P20

Terravail Cannonball. Light and supple front, tough and durable rear. Not cheap though

faustus

+5 for Terreno Dry! Got some in 40c as a speedier tyre for less gnarly trails, and they’re great. Much grippier than they look, went tubeless easily, slightly larger than billed, good on road. Can easily see these being a 3 season tyre, and they’re supposed to last well due to the graphene compound apparently…

13thfloormonk

supposed to last well due to the graphene compound apparently

I don’t actually know what constitutes lasting well on a gravel tyre, but the centre tread of my rear Terreno goes smooth after maybe 1500km, but with no noticeable drop in performance, I think the shoulder tread does a lot more of the work on the loose or soft stuff.

dove1

Terreno Dry!

Easy to set up, good grip but still easy rolling. Can’t go wrong.

matt_outandabout

Terreno Dry!

Or Continental Terra Hardpack.

Both similar smoother middle/knobbly edge approach to life.

chakaping

Terreno Dry looks really good.

Pricey though eh?

Anyone tried the MAxxis Reaver? tread pattern on that looks promising

fazzini

I use Riddlers year round now in either 40 for using mudguards or 45 without guards. I always loved my Panaracer Gravel King semi slicks especially on the road, and had no issues with the first pair. Eventually wore them out and put a new set on, cue puncture after puncture.. Very disappointed.

fatface1
    Free Member

Pathfinders are okay.

Matt_SS_xc

Schwalbe g one all road. Perfect!

scotroutes
    rOcKeTdOg

Stick with the mezcals through winter and spring and they’ll be worn down enough to be a summer tyre, repeat starting middle autumn.

timmys

G-Ones – I use them all the time, but I’m a pretty fair-weather rider, so guess that’s really summer/dry.

13thfloormonk

Pricey though eh?

Not often discounted certainly, but if you can accept 700x40mm for £25…

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-terreno-dry-g20-tubeless-gravel-tyre-700c-266927.html

chakaping

That would be awesome cheers, but I’m not going back from 45c

I did spot the Reavers on there for £35, hence asking about them

Especially if anyone has used them and Riddllers / raddlers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.