Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what smoke/fire alarm arrangement for this house?
  • Markie
    Free Member

Hey.

We’re going on holiday next week, to a house that has no smoke alarms. I’m planning to take some with us (actually, there’s a thought – can you take smoke alarms on airplanes?) but was wondering how many because the house we’re going to is an odd one.

It’s five stories tall, and each story is a room, with a spiral staircase connecting them. The kitchen is on either the ground or maybe the first floor.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks!

wwaswas

can you take smoke alarms on airplanes

they radiation emitters so I’d doubt it?

pk13

Smoke alarm in your hand luggage might be a bad idea.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Buy some there.

Bazz

Hi, firefighter here so this is my remit so to speak. The general rule of thumb is one per floor in the communal area (halls and landings) and not to close to the kitchen (so as to avoid flase alarms), though if each floor only has one room then you could reduce this to one every other floor avoiding the kitchen, and put them in the staircase area as this would act as a sort of chimney in the event of a fire, hard to be to specific without actually visiting the premises.

Can’t comment on travelling by air with them though, with batteries removed and placed in hold luggage i would have thought they would be fine but best check with your airline before you travel.

Flaperon

Should be no restriction on taking an optical-type smoke alarm on a plane.

jam-bo

ask the owner of the house to supply some?

STATO
    Free Member

Tall house with only one exit, for such a fearful person is this really wise, will you be able to sleep?. Afterall, if fire starts at the bottom then your screwed?

footflaps

Take an axe, knotted rope and grappling hook…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

take a bat signal ?

midlifecrashes

Make the children sleep outside, just to be on the safe side.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks Bazz, very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks also for all for plane and purchasing advice.

Jam bo, the house belongs to a family member who has only owned it since April. We’re among the first guests out there.

STATO, is it really so fearful to want a house to have smoke / fire detectors? I say not. Reference the one exit point, it’s in Italy – every balcony and window joins up with or opens onto somebody else’s balcony / roof / patio!

Amazon Italy will have them there for when we arrive!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what smoke/fire alarm arrangement for this house?’ is closed to new replies.