Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Skewers ?
  • Feldo
    Free Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight but efficient skewers that won't cost the earth for a XC race wheelset build?

Using Hope QR's on another bike and they are fine, but wondered if there were any decent lighter alternatives?

Thoughts appreciated.
    Cheers

Daffy

Shimano are the same weight and work better.

Do you really want lightweight skewers? is saving 30g REALLY worth it?

Ringo
    Free Member

i have some some salsa skewers they are really good
    dunno how much they weigh though

hh45
    Free Member

don't buy the DT Swiss titanium skwers then – £120 a pair and they are pants IME. I can't believe I fell for them but you live and learn (hopefully!!).

scruzer
    Free Member

X-Lite Ti. Good positive action, last for years, light and choice of colours and British if that counts.

njee20
    Free Member

Tune, KCNC, New Ultimate.

z1ppy

shimano end of story, as QR are not worth messing about with. Ok, Salsa if you must waste the cash.

njee20
    Free Member

I much prefer my Tune skewers to Salsa, heavily over rated IMO, the external cam can fill with crap and make the levers stiff. As bad as Hope.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I bought some Kore skewers off CRC which are good. Salsa skewers are good but agree with comment about cr*p getting into the cam – have to swill them out regularly with wd40, then they are fine.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Shimano, fit and forget unlike some of the pimper ones I could mention.

akira

Shimano or Salsa, saving a few grams in the centre of the wheel makes no difference.

sv

Halo Hex Skewers – quite light and look neat.

juan
    Free Member

I think the only answer to a "what skewers" question is shimano.

Olly
    Free Member

QRS, shimano, nothing else will do in my book.

non QR? lighter to not have the QR bit, and use 4mm allen key head ones.
    but not quick release, so you have to carry an ikea allen key in your pocket (also 4mm)

thefallguy
    Free Member

A2Z seem to work fine and are cheap, have a look on ebay. Some in standard and ti flavours

Scootash
    Free Member

"Da Bomb" – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16092.

Got a pair on my singlespeed. They're much better action than hopes –
    easier to do up, nice action, can be undone when tight without swearing.
    Look shiny too.

Cheers.

Tim
    Free Member

Shimano – proper over cam action means they tighten properly

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Shimano here too. I'm still using some LX ones from '95 and they're just an unbeatable design in my book. You can pick up a pair of Deore ones for £10 I think.

I've tried the fancy Hope ones, but having the cam exposed to the elements made them stiffen up and I was never convinced that they clamped the wheel correctly.

foggy
    Free Member

Tune for weight saving, Shimano or Mavic for peace of mind.

I have Tune on my Road bike, but the last thing I want to be thinking about as I launch off a metre high drop off is wondering if my skewers are still tight enough….

allyharp

After a bad experience with some (admittedly cheap) open cam skewers I'm not going to use anything but Shimano.

Northwind

I've been fannying about with various ones, ended up back with my XTs. And for my commuter I'm going to end up using the Shimano ones that came with it, in 1991. They're possibly Exage, not sure. Whatever, even with the rust they're better than most modern ones.

Is there any merit to XTR at all? I've just switched to a front maxle so I figure a rear XTR would even out the bling somewhat…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What Skewers ?’ is closed to new replies.