Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What should I do with a dead Crossmax XL?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Sat in the corner of my kitchen is a defunct Mavic Crossmax XL rear wheel – replacement spokes are redundant and the rim is cracked. It’s an ancient, well-used relic of days gone by and it doesn’t owe me anything. I can’t see any way of re-using any part of it apart from the free hub body I guess, but it irks me to just throw it away.

Any bright ideas or is just so much landfill / scrap metal?

ChrisE
    Free Member

I need a straight rim, but guess that’s the only bit you don’t have!

C

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, the rim’s borked I’m afraid.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

I could be interested in the freehub and spokes as spares for mine. Depends on where you are, and if i could collect. Not worth posting.

Mine has been going strong for ages.

vincienup
    Free Member

Likewise to Chunky above. I have an XL with good rim but bad freehub, a missing spoke and a couple of bad spokes. Yours could be a useful source of spares if it’s not already spoken for…

ninfan
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog

I’m on the Manchester edge of the Peak if that’s handy for anyone.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Too far for me to collect, put it on ebay. The bearings on the rear hubs go so someone will want it for a spare. Actually i want it, how much posted? Just talked myself into buying stuff again!

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t be arsed with eBaying and posting a dead wheel, sorry fella…

vincienup
    Free Member

Cheers, BWD… Found the bits my Bro had dropped off for me this weekend.

Looks like I have enough to resurrect my (differently) knackered Crossmax XL’s there…

Ta! 🙂

Sundayjumper

I love that coffee table !

spxxky
    Free Member

I too have a dead XL… cracked rim at the valve hole and a missing spoke… only prob is the missing spoke left the threaded bit in the rim and I can’t get it out… before you try repairing your XL’s I suggest you see if you can get the original spokes out as you’ll probably find that most of them have corroded into the rim

crazy-legs

Cut the hub out and make it into a coffee tamper, like this:

Or a paperweight or a salt shaker.
    Cut two of the spokes to size and use them as clock hands.

The rim can just go to aluminium recycling!

crazy-legs

The rim can just go to aluminium recycling!

Actually on second thoughts if there’s an undamaged section, cut it out and make it into a coathanger.

BadlyWiredDog

vincienup – Member
    Cheers, BWD… Found the bits my Bro had dropped off for me this weekend.

Looks like I have enough to resurrect my (differently) knackered Crossmax XL’s there…

Ta!

No worries – those spare spokes, btw, were pretty much the only ones I could find in the UK a couple of years back. I can’t remember if they’re driveside or the other, but it should be pretty obvious. Have fun 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What should I do with a dead Crossmax XL?’ is closed to new replies.