Home Forums Bike Forum What Shimano chain?

• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What Shimano chain?
  • GaryBanham
    Free Member

Ok it’s a bad question but I really don’t know the answer…..

I’m just putting a big order into CRC and want to get a chain ready for replacement for the summer.

There are loads to choose from ?!? I have a standard 9 speed and will be replacing the cassette with a Shimano M770.

Cheers for the help and abuse :0)

Gary

Northwind

None, get a KMC instead.

M6TTF
    Free Member

go for a SRAM or KMC – so much easier to fit and swap with a powerlink

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for KMC. My Shimano chain goes brown at the slightest hint of moisture in the air, unlike my KMC which still sparkles like new.

nickname
    Free Member

I fitted a KMC last night. Is it just me, or is the ‘MissingLink’ a pain in the ass to remove without tools (unlike the SRAM powerlink).

joolsburger
    Free Member

Use a KMC with a Sram powerlink.

Waderider
    Free Member

I snapped two shimano chains, maybe 10 years ago right enough, but since then I’ve bunged £15-ish SRAM chains on.

Look at this way, last time I bought a complete bike the first thing I did was remove the shimano chain. Even if you don’t think they are fragile, the link joining method is a faff.

tang
    Free Member

wippermann conex

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 Wippermann, they last forever seemingly. Then KMC, Shimano and SRAM in descending order. The only good chain-related things SRAM make are their old 8-speed chains and power-links IMO.

Blazin-saddles

To redress the balance, I always use Shimano chains on my bikes as I find them stronger than Sram if joined correctly. I use the Dura Ace/XTR quality though and clean and re lube as described, I’ve never broken one and cover a lot of miles and stress them a fair bit racing.

GaryBanham
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your help, sorted for Sram now :0)

rob2
    Free Member

+1 for duraace. I’ve had three SRAM ones snap. Maybe a bad lot but never had a problem with shimano.

Will probably try kmc next time for a change

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What Shimano chain?’ is closed to new replies.