• This topic has 207 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 208 total)
  • What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

how else do you count that many sheep?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Firsty surfer I’ve yet to see a post where someone earns ‘big bucks’ and secondly the title is clear – if a forum dweller doesn’t want to read what people earn then they don’t open the thread and don’t get all sensitive about it, simple.

grumm
    Free Member

Another reason why women earn less is they often take a long career break due to kids which puts down their earning potential. Probably the main reason more men don’t do it is because of cultural norms etc.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

are you saying that women earn the same as men BEFORE they have time off for childbirth?

Flaperon

£0/year
    Physics degree and Commercial Pilot’s License.
    Doesn’t look like there will be any work for quite some time. 🙁

stompy

At the mo I’m earning nothing. I’m a self employed (or rather self unemployed at the momment 🙁 ) furniture maker/boat fitter. Being so I can’t claim benefits when I’m out of work and so am a little screwed….

I’ve got Ba (Hons) in Furniture design, countless smaller qualifications in related topics but it all means nout when theres no work around. I’m glad loads of you are earning bucket loads sat behind a computer but to say most postee’s on this site are high earning middle class and that MTBing is a middle class, middle management sport is ridiculus…..Get over yourself. what about all those who have lost their jobs???

Have a look at this thread….
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sad-day-at-work

mudshark
    Free Member

are you saying that women earn the same as men BEFORE they have time off for childbirth?

They certainly do wherever I’ve worked – IT consultancy.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ah, i bow to the power of your widely representative sample

I work for the inland revenue and I am going through this list now to determine all of you bandits who are dodging tax.
    I get paid per transaction and so everyone one of you I get makes me richer!!!!!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

As with mudshark, everywhere I’ve worked women have been equal earners before any time off.

In my current experience they’ve actually come back earning eqivalently more per hour than everyone else, as the “additional” hours you put in beyond contracted hours are not done any more as childcare etc has to be taken care of.

I agree absolutely with equality, but it should be exactly that. What I fear we’re entering is an era of positive discrimination, which I abhor.

tomlevell

HND in Building Services Engineering.
    Earn average for the industry in the area.

The HNDs only use is if I ever try and get a job elsewhere.

Up until 6 months ago I could probably have upped my pay by £5k by going somewhere else. I’d rather get out of the industry than go elsewhere though.

Job is probably secure for the next 12 months then it depends on what happens in the building trade.

kimbers

27k (including london weighting) Biochemistry BSC and 12 yrs experience as a scientist, work in the best cancer institute in the UK

my mates in IT get about 500-750 a day and they have a very good accountant who sorts out their tax ‘issues’

im not bitter at all

GrahamS

Mean full-time pay for 16-17 year old women: £3,747
    Mean full-time pay for 18-21 year old women: £8,562

Mean full-time pay for 16-17 year old men: £5,211
    Mean full-time pay for 18-21 year old men: £11,876

Have most 16 year olds already had time off for childbirth then?

Dougal
    Free Member

BSc Computer Science. 23yo. £lots. Low stability (gaps between contracts = unpaid holidays), very dependent on dollar exchange rate (very good atm).

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Graham, those figures are meaningless unless they’re stated across the same industry. I would imagine more young girls would work in different industries to young boys.

When you come to the likes of firms that offer graduate training schemes, I’m pretty sure you find equality with subsequent differences arising through performance or length of service in the role. Equally, I would say that it I took a year off for whatever reason, I wouldn’t expect to maintain salary parity with my peers who hadn’t.

mudshark
    Free Member

ah, i bow to the power of your widely representative sample

That’s a pretty stupid response really. IME women in IT are paid as much as men.

grumm
    Free Member

OK looks like I will go back to my original theory that women earn less because they are stupid.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I am well qualified for the job I do and take home whatever the taxman leaves me with – although this will soon be 16% less due to short time infliction

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i wasn’t aware this was a discussion about salaries in IT.

GrahamS

Graham, those figures are meaningless unless they’re stated across the same industry…

Fair enough, then you need 2008 Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) – Analysis by Age by Occupation

Mean wage for 18-21 year old Women working as “Science and technology associate professionals” is £13,706

Mean wage for 18-21 year old Men working as “Science and technology associate professionals” is £16,486

Feel free to examine your occupation of choice (though take note that many don’t have enough samples to be reliable).

5thElefant
    Free Member

Looks like women are slackers.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

BA(Hons) Architecture
    DipArch
    Soon to add my final qualification to the list.

…and not enough money and I’m 29.

aP
    Free Member

Comfortable

RIBA

jimcollins67
    Free Member

work in a care setting,24 hr care for adults with learning difficulties living in the local community, worked in the same job for the past 19 years, salary of 20-25K depending on how much weekends worked etc, great job, not the best paid but lots of satisfaction and probably the best job security along with nursing…

darrell
    Free Member

Ph.D in Geology

I used to earn about 40k as a lecturer and reseacher.

and now work in the oil business in Norway – do much less and earn much more

darrell
    Free Member

Ph.D in Geology

I used to earn about 40k as a lecturer and reseacher in Switzerland

and now work in the oil business in Norway – do much less and earn much more

TimP
    Free Member

BEng CEng MIStructE
    35euro/hour when I can get work (contracting short term due to lack of employment opportunities)

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see a post where someone earns ‘big bucks’

Really?

B Eng, M Eng, ACA

More than £60k, less than £80k.

I’m sure most of us would be happy with that?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not really big bucks nowadays though is it

wors

mrmichaelwright, are you having a laugh??

hora
    Free Member

Late to this thread. Dunno and tbh dont care how much a mate or other rider earns or what they do for a living. I work with and have known people in London who ask you a few questions based around ‘££’ then make a snap decision on you. Shallow to say the least.

Reminds me of the two lovely ladies I met at the top of Holmbury, I stroked their dog, talked for a while and bid fairwell. She never asked me what I did for a living, how much I earned etc. From what I learnt later she owns alot of Holmbury. A slice of Surrey. The impression I did get of her was that she was warm, down to earth, engaging and highly inquisitive (definitely the last part as she asked me alot of questions!)

Luther
    Free Member

B Eng, M Eng, ACA

More than £60k, less than £80k.

That looks to be the highest salary here, and is certainly a lot of money.

Do you think you are overpaid/underpaid or about right?

wors

The impression I did get of her was that she was warm, down to earth, engaging and highly inquisitive (definitely the last part as she asked me alot of questions!)

Bit of a munter then 😆

hora
    Free Member

Mate of mine obviously earns a fair amount, judging by his company cars and his house. More telling though is his laidback attitude (switched off about work/money etc) and intelligence. I think those two are more telling of a person than ‘hey what do you/I earn£££’.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was once introduced to someone socially who was at Logica when I worked for IBM. One of the 1st things he asked me was how much I earn! Incredible really.

I think many people would think I’m paid a lot so my response to Luther is that I’m paid what the market dictates! If I lose my job, as I could if people stop spending money on big IT projects, then I’ll probably find salaries are lower than I am on now. Part of my pay is based on the project nature of my work with a fair bit of travelling which I dislike. At least my skills – Oracle Apps tech – is likely to always be useful for something.

smogmonster

I have a degree in nursing, plus various other health related qualifications, did my penance working for the NHS earning the usual rubbish, 20 – 30K. Now work Offshore up and down the coast of West Africa. Suffice to say i earn a shedload more than when in the NHS, and i get 6 months of the year off. However, there are plenty of guys i work with who earn a LOT more than me (£100 – 130k plus) who left school at 16 without any qualifications at all. The oil world is about the only place where you can earn this sort of dough without any academic background.

jojoA1
    Free Member

When I read threads about what people earn, I’m always stunned by how much more people earn to look after computers and suchlike than to look after people.

yoshimi

HND Building Studies
    MSc Construction Management

10% less than I did 2 weeks ago – still, at least I’ve got a job

uplink
    Free Member

Didn’t finish a degree & have a few industry qualifications

£40-£50K working in the satellite comms industry, probably nearer £40K this year

But like others I’m in the NE of England & things are a bit cheaper here.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well in business it’s easier to work out what to pay people as market forces work things out pretty well. If a company wants me to do some work for them then my company charge them as much as they think they can get away with. Very easy for me to see what I’m worth to my company.

Not saying it’s fair that nurses and teachers are paid less than others but no idea what the answer is.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?’ is closed to new replies.