• This topic has 207 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)
  • What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

mboy – Im same as nick.

The amount you pay yourself from your company is a fine balancing act of personal tax allowances, dividend taxation, and your childrens innate ability to absorb cash. Anything left over may or may not be left in the company. Given that nickc employs other people (which I dont) he has the responsibility of thinking about outgoings if income slows – so leaving some cash in the company is probably a good idea. I on the other hand can be more cavalier and run the company account at a bare minimum 🙂

As for Quals etc: MA, MSc, Professional Member of the RICS.

Income? Enough for me and my family not to be wanting even if I only want to work 2 or 3 days a week.

kinda666
    Free Member

35k for a 35 hours a week! With O/T another 20k possible! Left school in 91 an joined British rail, got 5 GCSE grade D in Maths english and science, plus a couple of E’s in french and german! Still on the railway 17 and a half year later and a signalman for network rail!

brant
    Free Member

My salary is around £90 a week, though I have shares in a company that’s doing quite well.
    B Eng Mech Eng Hons (Design)- 2/2 Huddersfield

andrew
    Free Member

BA, MA (although everyone else in my dept. have PhDs). £38k.

(Although thanks to a personal credit crunch called ‘my ex-wife’ the banks see most of it, in fact my interest payments are what are keeping them going. Still, two have just been paid off and the ‘biggies’ will be gone by this time next year. Yes!)

Stoner
    Free Member

My salary is around £90 a week

that much?

Royston
    Free Member

I’m a Registered Nurse in NZ (in paediatrics/obstetrics) I earn $60,000 a year plus penals (Five weeks holiday). I work six 12hour shifts a fortnight which is 8 hours short of full time and I look after my kids six days in every 14. nursing gets a bad rep some of the time but I’ve worked and travelled all over the world with it, and fortunately I don’t have to (or haven’t had to thus far) worry about redundancies that many others do

brant
    Free Member

that much?

That’s the maximum you can earn, and get your stamp paid for you, without incurring tax.

Actually, it looks like £116 now or something. It’s the basic personal allowance.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think I earn the same 🙂 Certainly looks like that in my bank account after the Missus has “sorted out the tax”. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

34 years old. BEng (Hons) 2:1 Mech Eng and I’m not earning anywhere near what my qualifications suggest I should. I made a couple of poor decissions about who to work for when I left uni and it seems I don’t have the “experience” that should accompany my years.

Still, if I run out of loo roll, I can always use my degree.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im assuming some of the people oh here take dividends. 😉

Ive got only 4 GCSEs with decent results and the rest are pish a couple of collage courses under my belt and a year at Uni doing Commerce. I am now back at college (work funded) doing a CILT course.

Earn nearly £27k pretty stable job.

Stoner
    Free Member

couple of collage courses under my belt

education Blue Peter stylee?
    🙂

spokeydokey
    Free Member

Did a degree in geography and environmental something MSc.
    On about £60k overall now but spend 101% of my earnings every month!

grumm
    Free Member

You get 35k for being a signalman!? Blimey – no wonder the trains cost so much. No offence like. 😛

momo

I only have A levels, did waste 3 years at uni playing at being a drunken bum. Now work in the engineering dept at the local water authority repairing and relaying sewers. Basic wage is over £20k but its taken a while to work up to this as I started here in the call centre 3 years ago after 4 years in the banking industry. Now 28, and although I don’t earn that much, I have a secure job, with good benefits, and good future prospects.

AndyP
    Free Member

BSc, MSc, and various professional letters which mean **** all in the real world. Earn enough for what I want. As with sdb, was earning lots more but much happier now.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Stoner. All Im missing is the badge!

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Seriously though, is there a lower limit when you’re self employed, which if you pay yourself below that amount then they’ll automatically investigate? Otherwise shouldn’t you ultimately aim to pay yourself Zero? Or am I missing the point?

It’s quite normal practice for company directors to pay themselves a minimum wage (as Brant said) and take a director’s dividend. That way you only pay corporation tax at 21% rather than income tax.

Stoner
    Free Member

…however, it’s not all roses as now if you receive the bulk of your income as share dividend you have to pay a certain amount of tax in advance, not arrears. All a nice little one-off boost to Gordon’s coffers this year…

l45key
    Free Member

Same as Bruneep, £30,877.

Sod all qualifications, but pretty secure for the long term, unless people stop having fires!

crazy-legs

BSc Chemistry
    Currently earning £60.50/week down from about £450/week a month ago. 🙁

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

self employed

turnover between 30 and 35K

I pay tax on about 22K of that normally

10 GCSE’s, 4 A levels and a completed but not certified HND
    ;0
    to be honest qualifications mean nothing, i’m far more educated than most people in my industry but thats doesn’t make me any better at it

my wife has a PHD, 2 Masters and a Degree but earns middle management kind of money at a university

i should say though that i only work about 180 days a year and am doing exactly what i wanted to do when i was at school 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Well contractors could put down a realistic income if they really wanted to…. I was on between £500 and £550 a day when I did that. If you ignore IR35, which I guess peoples still do, then you end up with more than someone earning the equivalent salary.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I left school in 1973 with a handful of CSE’s (that’s what they had in the olden days before GCSE’s :-)). Along the way I’ve done a few more qualifications including an HNC in Mechatronics, and now I’m on somewhere between £40k & £60k a year., but more importantly the mortgage is paid off and the kids are grown up (but not all have them have left home YET).

miketually
    Free Member

I might form a company which my employer pays in order for me to come in to work…

7 GCSEs (A, B, 5Cs)
    4 A levels (A, C, D, C)
    2.1 BA in Education (plus whatever made me a qualified primary school teacher)
    MSc in IT

Now teaching A level ICT and on the lowest point on the higher pay scale, so getting something like £32k a year. I failed GCSE IT and had to resit my A levels to get enough to go to uni 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

Blimey – 9 GCSEs, 4 A lvls, 6 years at uni to get a BVetMed. Work silly hours for less than a lot of people on here.

Things have improved a bit since I started locum work but even so.

Still, I enjoy my job, which is something not many people can say :o)

oldgit
    Free Member

My accountant gives me £33,600.00 out of my business, so I guess about 45K. But I get my cars, phone etc covered as well. Though up until a year ago I was on a lot lot less whilst I built the business up. Just got an investor on board and we’re going for it. So I could be back to earning a big fat zero in six months.

No qualifications, might have some CSE’s. though you probably guessed that from my posts.

stumpy01

I’m in a similar position to Onzadog…..

Did Mech Eng with Aeronautics at uni, then got a job doing engineering in a completely unrelated area (industrial inkjet)….then moved to another job still in inkjet.
    Didn’t make the best job decisions looking back, but they seemed OK at the time. Am now redundant and finding that the majority of vacancies aren’t particularly interested in someone with my experience/skills.

Am currently making it clear to agencies etc. that I am keen to move away from inkjet and get a wider range of experiences. Also determined in my next job to do as many training courses etc. as possible. I’m quite tempted to do an OU Electronics degree or something too.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Degree, post-grad professional exams, 2 years on-job training. I earn lots, work rather harder than I would like and do not greatly enjoy my work. A good friend who has just been made redundant from my firm on a decent package is seeing it as a brilliant opportunity to get out and do something completely different.

Chins up people.

🙂

willard

BSc in Applied Biochemistry, which I why I now work as a Release Manager at a software company. I’ve been here a while now, which is why I get the big bucks… about £40k.

Mind you, I was earning more in 2000 when I was contracting, but then the market fell out of testing. Which is why I ended up working as a highways inspector for a year. I really quite enjoyed that job.

thepurist

13 GCEs, 4 A levels, 2 S levels, BSc Hons in Maths – used to be around 60K+ a year but gave it up for a career change. Current year probably around 25K (disposable income), next year who knows…

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

3 o levels and an HNC in Fabrication/ welding .Above 40% tax bracket as a shiftworker in oil industry (onshore)

Swiftacular
    Free Member

26 years old, HNC Instrumentation, NVQ3 Instrument Maintenance, £47,500, very safe staff job, can’t complain.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve got a BA and am working hard on getting a PhD. Before I started the PhD I used to earn £35,000 doing a programming job, and not have to work very hard. Now, I’ve worked really quite hard for 3 years, and got myself a job lined up for when I submit, paying £26,000. I have a crazy pension though, and it’s jolly fun stuff that I work on, to be honest it feels a bit cheeky that people will pay me to do it.

Joe

IHN

8 GCSE (I failed woodwork)
    3 A-Levels
    BA (Hons)
    BCU 1*

High thirties plus generous pension and package.

Somewhat ironically, I originally wanted to be a teacher, but back when I wanted to be a teacher they were paid **** all so I decided against it. Looks like I could still retrain and not take a particularly massive salary drop.

marcus
    Free Member

Only flicked through this tread but given the salary figures some of you appear to be earning I hope most of you are at the the ‘top of your game’. Otherwise, its no wonder things in this country cost so F***ing much.

Me – £453.00 pcm

GrahamS

I’m on £34k – Senior Software Engineer (11 years experience).

Working partly from home and partly in Rosyth (across the Forth from Edinburgh). I have a Computer Science Bsc Hons and 6 Highers. I’m 33.

ourmaninthenorth

Degree, post-grad professional exams, 2 years on-job training. I earn lots, work rather harder than I would like and do not greatly enjoy my work.

Same as BD, except for the money bit – there’s a significant cash downside to being a lawyer outside London. Namely, about 50% on average. And the job security and hours are as sh*t as everywhere else. I regularly wonder how on earth I have allowed myself to get into this position.

IHN

Only flicked through this tread but given the salary figures some of you appear to be earning I hope most of you are at the the ‘top of your game’. Otherwise, its no wonder things in this country cost so F***ing much.

Hear, hear.

Mind you, I’d have had 4 A-levels if it wasn’t for you 😉

sailor74
    Free Member

what would be more interresting is ‘how much do you earn and what bike(s) do you own?’

Gary_M
    Free Member

Degree in Economics (maths, physics and bionics 😉 ) after going back to uni in my mid 20’s. Earn just under £40k from employment. Plus some more as a fat cat landlord.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?’ is closed to new replies.