• This topic has 207 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

I don’t have the answer either, it just seems a sad sign of what’s important to our society.

In our local authority you get less per hour as a home carer than you would stacking shelves in Tesco. Just because some jobs are more vocational than others, shouldn’t mean people are exploited.

miketually
    Free Member

Graham, those figures are meaningless unless they’re stated across the same industry. I would imagine more young girls would work in different industries to young boys.

And that’s also part of the issue/problem.

mudshark
    Free Member

I mate of mine works as a solicitor. He used to get paid 25% of the money he brought in which meant an annual income for him of £50k to £60k – the rest obviously going towards various costs and then the excess taken by the partners. Now he’s a partner so should be making good money out of the non-partners….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Learning disability Nurse

Degree qualified

£26k

According to many on here I’m an overpaid, overpensioned workshy layabout.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m an overpaid, overpensioned workshy layabout.

Glad to see you’re self-aware 😈

stevomcd
    Free Member

Irrelevant qualifications:

MEng (Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics)

Relevant qualifications:

SMBLA
    ML
    BASI 1

Salary: My contract (which I had to write and pass to the lift pass office to qualify for a cheap pass) says I earn 1euro per month. It’s actually less than that.

With a bit of luck, that might be worth about £20k a year the way things are going…

jonb
    Free Member

Masters Degree in Chemistry, about the UK average (3 months into my Job). No dependants etc. Living with my GF in the NE so costs are low.

Thinking about paying off the student loan and buying a house so keeping outgoings to a minimum so resisting the temptation to spend all my money on a new bike…

GrahamS

I’m always stunned by how much more people earn to look after computers and suchlike than to look after people.

My wife is a doctor and she earns considerably more looking after people than I do tinkering with computers.

But yeah, ancillary care and the like is undeservedly badly paid.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Another one in the oil industry here, and also self employed, so I’m on a salary of £420 / month. Overall income is over £70K depending on number of days worked, and how much I leave in the company etc. 2 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Suits me, but it’s not for everyone I suppose.

NZCol

You know what gets on my t1ts is that people consider ‘what you earn’ as some measure of ‘who you are and what you are like’. Bolax.
    It ags me that service type industries pay **** all – nurses, carers, teachers blah blah you know, these are all teh fabric of our society and yet they are renumerated really badly in my view. As said before we get paid shed loads to manage the security of computers which, lets be honest, isn’t exactly mega ultra critical in most cases. Its crminal what we charge but we’re cheap in the market really.
    So anyway, someone asked me this question the other day. I actually don’t know because I own the company and hadn;t really added it up – so i did. Now, i don’t live in a flash palace, drink champagne and have servants. I do have a nice house thats paid for, a decent car and some nice bikes etc – thats all just stuff. I’m the same bloke as i was when i earned nothing, and its also not about luck. Its about me taking a risk 5 years ago, selling almost everything i owned and eating **** beans for 3 months then not paying myself for a year while i worked my nuts off. Thats not luck, thats called working. This isn’t c0ck waving in any way shape or form but the fact that i don;t go around flaunting my “wealth” is about who I am as a person. And on the question of megabucks – we turn over around 2.5M a year and I’ll take home about 35% of that…..before tax which of course i avoid like everyone else who is self employed ;-)But I’d be surprised if any one of my friends has any idea other than i earn alright money and get the beers in sometimes (I am scottish mind….).

alpin
    Free Member

as a self employed carpenter i was earning 600-700/week in UK just over a year ago (dependant upon jobs/how much weed we had). in germany, working longer hours (7-4.30, not 8-3), working generally much harder during those hours and not being able to toke all day long i was earning 350/380€ a week. pay doesn’t improve much over here. not many chances to increase what you earn unless you become a “meister”. that involves financing yourself for a year (minimun) through college. no employer is willing to pay for you as that would mean you can set up your own firm and would subsequently be competition for them.

i chucked the job in end of last year and am now training to be an english teacher. germans love learning english and will through €€ at their kids so that they don’t get left behind a year in school. english is also expected for many ‘office’ jobs and companies often have people come to teach their staff once a week. don’t know if that will continue given i know of several people who have been made redundant due to companies going into admin…

should be looking for 30€/hour.

rents are much cheaper here and really don’t want to be spending my time indoors when the alps are on the doorstep. will be looking to work around 15-20 hours/week, leaving lots of time for the outdoors.

money isn’t everything. living is………

chewkw
    Free Member

Got several qualifications but they all count shite towards achieving £££ or happiness.

👿

johnhoo
    Free Member

O levels & A levels. Went to Uni. dropped out. accidentally got a job in IT. 21 years later, still in IT, I can’t complain about my salary. That’s all I’m saying.

hora
    Free Member

Mate of mine, handmade boiled sweets for Dobsons for years. Now works in the diving industry (his passion).

jimmy

1 year ago;
    BA European Studies & German (4 years study, completely irrelevant), Certified IBM Lotus Notes Engineer (1 week ‘study’) c.£62k

Now;
    Studying MSc Environmental Sustainability. Income from part time job; £70/week if I’m lucky.

Fed up, but optimistic for the future. (Today I’m optimistic, not always)

hicksville
    Free Member

Really intresting thread…….but lets put in this one

approved social worker approx 28k per annum, able to section an individual or take a child into care dealing with safeguarding……….. underpaid or overpaid???

I am not a social worker but given all the issues of protecting vulnerable individuals it seems a low wage to attract peopel to a diffucult post

miketually
    Free Member

approved social worker approx 28k per annum, able to section an individual or take a child into care dealing with safeguarding……….. underpaid or overpaid???

I am not a social worker but given all the issues of protecting vulnerable individuals it seems a low wage to attract peopel to a diffucult post

Massively under-paid and over-worked.

hora
    Free Member

I am not a social worker but given all the issues of protecting vulnerable individuals it seems a low wage to attract people to a diffucult post

Why?

I’ve personally experience Social workers. Albeit a few years ago. Even at a tender age I worked out their minds were elsewhere/it was a chore and they were doing us a ‘favour’. Things may have changed but alot of press I read connected for me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

That position isn’t revenue generating and isn’t skilled. I doubt very much that they actually offer any cost-benefit either (as in it’s not something that can be easily made to work). It will appeal to a personality type that isn’t primarily focused on money. So… I’d say that’s a generous salary.

aP
    Free Member

I love it when the IT engineers talk other people’s jobs down.

hicksville
    Free Member

revenue generating and isn’t skilled

first part disagree look at service providers and commissioned bodies, medical appliances, adaptations and so on………….second part incorrect, what we are saying is that to work with the most vulunerable and ‘at risk’ in a a life or death situation….see Baby P case or Victoria Climbie…. is not a skilled position is blatently inappropiate. Given the press clammer and even on this forum the debates over baby p it seems if you want to protect and safeguard then you have to pay better wages to attract people of the calibre to do that.

Hora if that was the case I am sorry as they possibly did not give the best service but if the service is to be better then pay more get better staff.

I am not a social worker but I am intrested in the disportionate salaries in our society………………long live capatialism……………….sorry isn’t it dead??

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s not skilled. Anyone with common sense can do the job.

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t this just “supply and demand”? Using Social Work as an example, if there weren’t enough folk applying for the jobs, wouldn’t they have to raise the salary to attract more? Does this just indicate that perhaps Social Work is “easy” to get into, or that it’s done by folk who can’t be arsed training for something more demanding?

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not skilled. Anyone with common sense can do the job.

And what do you do?

miketually
    Free Member

Isn’t this just “supply and demand”? Using Social Work as an example, if there weren’t enough folk applying for the jobs, wouldn’t they have to raise the salary to attract more? Does this just indicate that perhaps Social Work is “easy” to get into, or that it’s done by folk who can’t be arsed training for something more demanding?

Does supply and demand work in this situation?

It’s often stated that MP’s salaries should be high in order to attract the best people into the being MPs. So, if we halved their salary would we have an empty House of Commons with no names on ballot boxes?

Perhaps there are people who would be brilliant carers for the elderly, but they’re stacking shelves in Tesco because it pays better?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Supply and demand doesn’t seem to work in the ‘caring professions’ We desparately need home carers, yet they won’t/don’t raise wages sufficiently to stimulate and increase in applicants and retention of those already in the job. There are not enough places to accommodate older people who need care because it doesn’t generate enough income. The people who ‘care’ about what happens to the old and vulnerable only seem to act as individiuals, IE, it only matters when it’s their child/granny, and they’re not interested in the overall picture of inadequate services and resources.

And as for it just being common sense, well a lot of it is, or should be, but some management muppet put in place so many nonsense procedures and policies, that we’re not allowed to do much of any practical use.

tomlevell

Teachers seem to well payed nowadays.
    Especially the ones willing to put in the extra work to gain the extra points.

I doubt the country could afford to pay nurses/teachers etc much more.

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Supply and demand doesn’t seem to work in the ‘caring professions’ We desparately need home carers, yet they won’t/don’t raise wages sufficiently to stimulate and increase in applicants and retention of those already in the job.

Is it possible that we’ll see a flood of applications now that more financially rewarding work is becoming harder to find?

dazh

A mate of mine is an ASW. He regularly gets assaulted/beaten up and once had to call out the armed response unit to rescue him from a nutter who locked him in their house and threatened him with a kitchen knife. This isn’t even mentioning the number of clients he’s worked with closely who top themselves or die from overdosing. And then he has a bunch of idiot relatives who put in formal complaints against him about a perceived ‘lack of care’.

It’s the job from hell, and definitely, massively underpaid.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Maybe, Druidh, but in my experience, those who might do it ‘just’ for the money don’t stay long. There are easier jobs available that pay the same, if not better, eg the classic ‘shelf stacker’. There’s also a disparity between client groups, people working with clients/service users who have learning disabilities, physical disabilities or are children seem to receive better remuneration than anyone working with older people. Maybe the country should just face up to the fact that we don’t really care about old people and introduce a scheme of involuntary euthanasia? (tongue in cheek here folks!)

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Maybe the country should just face up to the fact that we don’t really care about old people and introduce a scheme of involuntary euthanasia? (tongue in cheek here folks!)

No need to get personal….

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’d keep you Druidh. You could be my little ageing pet 🙂

hicksville
    Free Member

if there weren’t enough folk applying for the jobs, wouldn’t they have to raise the salary to attract more? Does this just indicate that perhaps Social Work is “easy” to get into, or that it’s done by folk who can’t be arsed training for something more demanding?

er no, seems no one wants to be a social worker because a non intervention can lead to an individuals death……….it used to be 4 years to be a social worker degree…………more demanding……high stress levels protecting societys most at risk of harm………sorry but hedge fund managers and all the twonkers who have ripped off and lead us to financial meltdown as we a in a recession are overpaid doppers. J Ross his salary would pay for a lot of people in the caring profession. Sorry but I know lots and lots of people on less than the ave salary, seems out of kilter to me.

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

bit of lazy reasoning to say the public sector jobs = underpaid, perhaps at times in the past they may have been but not now.
    Teachers as an example, look at the hours they do and the holidays & pensions they get! Many teachers have a degree of dubious value, & 1 year pgce conversion courses (paid for with government grants + bonus sweetners when they start/finish)then they are straight into salaries that compare very favourably with other graduate roles, they work reduced hours under less pressure and for far fewer weeks, with enviable job security, terrible rates of absenteeism and get a huge pension that you wont find anywhere in the private sector – plus to be fair many (not all) of these graduates were the less marketable graduates who couldnt find jobs in the private sector, no disrespect to some of very capable educators but lets be real. Plenty of examples of non-jobs in the health service and local government too.
    Try working a 45 hour week without lunch & 25 hours unpaid overtime under pressure to meet deadlines and climb the slippery corporate pole for weeks months and years,earning the same as or less than a teacher & then moan about money.
    Anyway just one of the many extravagant uses of our money in the public sector, with so many people now employed by the public sector directly or indirectly the next election will be a bit like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas!

falkirk-mark

SirJonLordofBike
    I am not a teacher but as a parent of a gobby 13 year old I can tell you no amount of money would get me in a classroom with 30 of the little shits. as far as I am concerned the teachers in most schools earn their cash

ourmaninthenorth

I mate of mine works as a solicitor. He used to get paid 25% of the money he brought in which meant an annual income for him of £50k to £60k – the rest obviously going towards various costs and then the excess taken by the partners. Now he’s a partner so should be making good money out of the non-partners….

And I get about 10% of what I turn over for the partners here. But then, the highest paid partner here is on £860k p.a. (or was – doubt s’he will get the same next time round). And that’s nothing compared with the big boys in the City.

Sadly, the way the profession is going, fewer and fewer people will have access to these mega-bucks, but they’ll still dangle a carrot just close enough for too many to burn themselves out trying. C**ts.

Marge
    Free Member

I’m ashamed to say I never got around to getting a degree. I did an engineering apprenticeship and ended up with an HND. I’ve done quite some vocational training since & some formal mgt training.
    On the plus side I am 36 and have 18 years relevant work experience and earn around €60k plus quite a lot of benefits in kind. Took a pay cut when I left the UK from around 40K GBP but since the exchange rate has drifted salary sounds a lot nicer.
    (but I would happily take a paycut for something that I enjoy doing)

druidh
    Free Member

Marge – Member

I’m ashamed to say I never got around to getting a degree. I did an engineering apprenticeship and ended up with an HND.

And what exactly are you ashamed of?

Marge
    Free Member

And what exactly are you ashamed of?

Well it is most likely the people that work for me wouldn’t even get an interview without a degree….
    Can feel a bit fraudulent sometimes but then I meet an unbelievably stupid graduate/ masters / doctorate job candidate or colleague and suddenly feel a lot better.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

200!
    (posts not k sadly!)

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘What salary are you on & what qualifications do you have?’ is closed to new replies.