Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What rucksack for leading group rides? £80
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a rucksack for leading groups of up to eight people on half day rides?

It needs to have a bladder in it and enough space for tools/spares, group shelter, food, first aid kit, spare clothes, food.

I’ve been told Ospreys are very good and have a well designed water container. I need to know the litres and please tell me why you like your rucksac.

Thanks.

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got an Evoc CC16, very well made and comfy even when full. Well organised front pocket too, lots of different mesh pockets. Might not quite carry everything you need, but I’d recommend a look at the bigger packs. Osprey are good too though, well made and have some good ideas, the bigger ones seem cheaper than the big Evoc packs too.

monksie
    Free Member

I have a Camelbak HOSS for this very purpose. It suits me perfectly. I hated with a passion the Osprey Talon and Raptor that I had, I put one in a bin and I gave the other to a person I didn’t really like.
    Uncomfortable in use and the rigid back made them difficult to pack.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Deuter TransAlp for the past 3 seasons. It’s been very good and has lasted really well.

It is a smidge small if you’re really packing the kitchen sink, but it’s big enough – only found it properly too small when doing overnight hut trips and trying to squeeze in a sleeping-bag liner and clean shorts liner/top.

giantonagiant

I’ve got an Osprey – can’t remember the name, but it’s the bike specific one, in one of the smaller sizes.

If the bigger versions are anything like it, they’ll be ideal: you’re right about the bladder – really easy to fill and take in/out (also feels a bit more robust), the mouth piece has a magnet on it, which keeps it out of the way (it sticks to the chest strap, mines never swung free – I’ll probably now be told I’m no riding hard enough), there are 2 pockets designed to take a shock pump and a normal pump, handy helmet retaining system, very well thought out external / internal pockets. Available in different back lengths too.

Basically it’s a great piece of kit.

😀

EDIT: Just seen monks post!! Horses for courses innit.

Spin
    Free Member

For £80 get 3 Alpkit Gourdons and have £12.50 change to spend on the beverage of your choice.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I like the look of those Alpkit Gourdons. I’m a big fan of simplicity. I’m wondering if they might be a bit big or do they reduce down nicely for when you pack less kit? I don’t want everything moving about.

flatfish
    Free Member

Wingnut

philfive
    Free Member

I have an osprey escapist 20l, it costs £53 but has no bladder but is compatable with any bladder. The bladder is kept outside si it doesn’t take up any of the room.

matt_outandabout

Old Vaude 25L thing, big hole in the middle approach. I end up carrying a fair bit on group rides, and on big days int’ hills – experience of avoiding issues/stopping the spiral/saving a life(!) means I do carry ‘proper’ amount of leader kit.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 30 (I think)

Love the back system/bladder – really, really comfortable an stays put brilliantly. Way better than the Dakines and Camelbaks I’ve used. Magnetic valve thingy is a PITA. A) you have to do the chest strap up B)I’m forever having the valve pop off the chest strap. This was over a pressure suit, which may not have helped.

Plenty of sensible pockets to stop everything rattling around, including waist belt ones to keep the multitool and phone in and handy without taking the pack off. Main compartment still a good size though.

Built in rain cover is a godsend.

Relatively lightly built, so I wouldn’t want to crash in it too often, but then if you’re leading/guiding you shouldn’t be riding at 100% anyway. (broken guide=chocolate teapot. Been there, done that, hopefully learnt the lesson)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m another Osprey fan here. Their range of kit is excellent. Escapist 29 may be worth a look.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Deuter Trans Alpine 30 here, it’s big enough to kart around an 8 person shelter when I need it as well as all the other associated crap for supporting group rides too

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have an Alpkit sac but wouldn’t use it for group rides as finding things in it can be a pain compared to using a sac which has a few pockets for storing things seperately. I use a Decathlon Raid, 27l I think it is.

grahamt1980

I use my dakine Apex.
    Plenty of space for tools and bits, and space in the main pocket for spare clothes and food

IainAhh
    Free Member

An Osprey Escapist 30 here.
    Which I use for commuting and general use.

Not too big or bulky.
    Good back.
    You can carry heavy stuff no problem if you need to.
    Compartments work really well for me.
    Plenty pockets.
    Clip for your keys inside. Useful pocket on the top.
    Built in rain cover.

Not the lightest, but all the rest makes up for that.

I also have a 25l Gourdon which I am really surprised by.
    Works great as a rucsac. Very light.
    The one I have has no pockets at all.
    Even a little zippy pocket for keys etc would be really usefull.

superfli
    Free Member

I bloody love my Osprey Zealot. Probably not quite big enough for your needs though at 16ltr. Its far better than my Raptor, the new bike specific features, like the tool kit, waist pockets, full length opening and phone pocket are well used. My Raptor never gets used, even though the zealot is too big really for most of my riding.

Baldysquirt

Osprey escapist of some form or other – amazing packs. I recently did a ride with loads of work related stuff in my escapist 25; it should have felt heavy and cumbersome compared to usual, but I hardly noticed it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Osprey talon, here. Very comfotable, good space and layout. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

UK-FLATLANDER
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What rucksack for leading group rides? £80’ is closed to new replies.