Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what road bike for ~£1000?
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a road bike, and joining the local club rides. Get some winter miles in and top up the fitness….maybe even enter some events next year….I’d enjoy the etape, and training for it.

I am thinking of spending about a grand and thought for that I ought to get an okay carbon frame with 105-ish drivetrain (or SRAM equivolent..err…red? My thoughts went to:
    – the Boardman team carbon, but the 2011-12 model is now up at £1500 and I can’t see any 2010-2011 models about, so too costly now
    – The focus cayo, but wiggle seem to have sold out of the medium and aren’t showing any 2012 cayos…are they no longer stocking focus? Focus website shows a change too, the basic cayo has up spec’ed to ultegra so I guess it is going to be about £1500 or more now too….but I can;t find a price or stockist
    – planet x. the sram equiped carbon bike is still £999 and looks a good deal….I need to get to the whitechapel shop and see it/try it
    – ribble http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuilder.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=BB12RIBEVOPROCARBON&sub=conf_BBRC&bike=1 a basic 105-ish spec’ed bike at just over a grand

Anyone got any other suggestions or any comments on those? I expect the finishing kit and possibly the wheels to be the weaker points. I don’t mind the finishing kit being heavy (it’s easy to upgrade if I wish to later) but the wheels are more costly so something that will last a while there seems important.

oh and I’m 5’11”, 33″ inside leg…a fairly ‘normal’ size, so I guess that sizing/fit should be straight forward.

jambon
    Free Member

Well I have no advice but I’m kind of in the same boat as soon as I have £1000 spare, which maybe never.

I was looking at the Planet X too but the shop is shut Sundays and that’s when I was in whitechappel last.

Decathlon do a 105 spec’d full carbon bike for £1000 too which is apparently nice but I’ve never seen one in their shops.

mrmo
    Free Member

i would say go to a shop and buy something, talk to a real person rather than try and guess what you need through the internet. If nothing else things like stem saddle, pedals etc will probably be changed to what suits you.

Something else to think about, what are you doing about pedals? mtb spds? road pedals? etc. just something to factor into your budget.

zilog6128

this is not a recommendation as I haven’t seen one (don’t think they are even selling them in stores yet) but Halfords are doing a carbon Carrera with 105 for 999

djflexure

Just building a bike up for the wife. Managed Ragley Cragg Vale (CRC sale), full veloce, Fulcrum 5 wheels and nice stem/bars off ebay for a total of 470. Could have done 105 for 50 more. So if you are handy you could save 500 – lots of deals on this years kit about at present and maybe more after Christmas.

40mpg

The PLanet X and Ribble bikes constantly get excellent write-ups and are fantastic value.

You’re other option is to go second hand – you could probably find a nice trek, giant etc with decent kit just a couple of years old with little use from a mid-life-crisis MAMIL. Check ebay!

ie:
    Ridley carbon Ultegra £990

Scott CR1 Ultegra ex-display £920

djflexure

Love to see what I could build for a grand.

anto164
    Free Member

Go to a shop, and don’t get a new carbon bike for a grand. Get an ally frame as you’ll be able to get a much better groupset. i.e. ultegra instead of 105. and slightly better wheels.

If you catch the bug, you’ll end up upgrading the whole bike at some point anyway.

anto164
    Free Member

Then again..

http://cheshireoakscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p1299

You’re paying for a quality frame. Better to have a good frame and a lesser groupset than a top end groupset and a shoot frame.

kilo

I’ve a ribble with sram (grand fondo), it was just over the £1000 when all finished. Very pleased with it, it’s light and rides very nicely – nicer than the three ally frames I’ve got.

I prefer the sram to the shimano I’ve used (variuos bits from 105 to dura ace) with the exception of the brakes and that may just be down to the stock pads. Ordered a lot of kit from ribble including two bikes and a tt frame and forks and never had any problems with them.

If you catch the bug, you’ll end up upgrading the whole bike at some point anyway

I think a lot of riders would be hard pushed to outperform the standard Ribble frames and probably the Planet X as well, you may upgrade the wheels and maybe the deraileurs when they wear out but the frames are pretty good quality and i’m not convinced you’d see any great improvement on like for like geometry without splashing serious cash.

neilnevill
    Free Member

indeed anto, I say it’s better to spend a little more on the frame and a little less on the group.

mrmo, for now I’ll be using my current shoes so mtb spds. I have a new set of 520s in the spares bin, they will do fine.

I can build the bike myself, built all my mtb’s for years, but I haven’t looked at buying the bits. With mtbs you get a fair better deal (usually) buying a complete bike, is that not the case with road bikes?

slimjim78
    Free Member

buying a Planet-X Sl Pro was easily one of the best cycling decisions ive ever made.

mrmo
    Free Member

mrmo, for now I’ll be using my current shoes so mtb spds. I have a new set of 520s in the spares bin, they will do fine.

Thought i should ask, just in case you were coming off flats, and also bearing in mind a lot of road bikes do not come with pedals these days.

Yes you can get a better deal buying a bike as compared to buying bits, one other thing to think about what do you want the road bike to do? do you want to fit mudguards, go touring etc. it might influence your choice a little.

you will find a few companies such as Ribble badge far eastern carbon frame and let you have a bit more flexibility on the kit as compared to more mainstream manufacturers who basically tell you what your getting.

djflexure

I can build the bike myself, built all my mtb’s for years, but I haven’t looked at buying the bits. With mtbs you get a fair better deal (usually) buying a complete bike, is that not the case with road bikes?

Yes I think usually thats the case if you pay RRP for the bits. Its just at this time of year all the groups and frames get discounted. Merlin do the full 5600 105 for 300 and at Ribble Veloce is 250 if you pick the bits yourself and use the 2010 crankset (which is better anyway) and take a few cheaper parts from Merlin. As for wheels the RS 10s on that Cannondale come in at 75. I’d spend a bit more on Fulcrum 5s or Planet X model Bs, both are to be had for 150 or so. You then just need to find a frame you like either new or second hand.
    If you get a great deal on a complete then go for it. This approach just gives you a few more options if you want to spec a bike yourself or build to a budget.
    I would use your SPDs. They work fine on the road and saves doubling up on shoes etc.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Merlin do the full 5600 105 for 300

oooo

and something like this from beone as frame and fork http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59254
    anybody know anything about beone?

leaving 200 for wheels and finishing kit hmmm….a pair of wheels will take most of that but I ought to have a bit of a hunt around and consider the build myself route, more flexible as you say.

mrmo
    good point re mudguards. I think as a mtb’er I’m used to getting wet and would forego mudguards…keep the bike clean and racey….I might regret that in the future but that’s my uninformed thought. Similarly I don’t think I want to go rad touring so don’t need rack mounts. Basically I see the bike going on training rides, club rides and maybe doing an event like the etape.

mrmo
    Free Member

club rides

It is usually regarded as bad form to go on a club ride without mudguards i crappy weather, it isn’t about your comfort but those around you. Sitting on a wheel and getting a face full of spray isn’t the nicest of experiences.

You can get guards that will work on a race bike, bit more of a faff and most aren’t as good as a set of SKS chromoplastics but they are better than nothing.

mart
    Free Member

Take a look at the Giant Defy range.

joeegg
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Cube Agree Pro Triple from Chain Reaction.Triple butted frame,mostly Ultegra,Mavic wheelset,FSA finishing kit.Claimed 8.1 kilo,which is lighter than carbon bikes with lower spec kit and it seemed difficult to beat at £980.Not ridden it yet but mates into road biking rate Cube.

neilnevill
    Free Member

[quoteIt is usually regarded as bad form to go on a club ride without mudguards i crappy weather[/quote]
    ah I see. So a set of those mud guards that zip tie on to the seat stays are needed then?

djflexure

Plastic guards fit all frames and will cost you 20. So does not affect what you go for really

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Beone are dutch and sponsor a lower ranked pro team over there and a team in the cx world cups, so i think they know their stuff.

‘Plastic guards fit all frames and will cost you 20’ – not quite all frames! Cant get anything on my Lynskey Cooper (apparently it doesn’t rain in Tennessee!) as there is a lug thing on the brake stay and the clearance is super tight.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Giant do a set of full length mudguards for their defy range which may fit other close clearance frames.

I might be looking at the Cannondale CAAD10.

I have a Ribble Evo and great value though it is – if you look around there are some really good deals about on 2011 stock.
    It’s difficult to resist the upgrade path, especially for lighter faster wheels. So my advice would be to not overlook these in the spec.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’d be going for the bitza approach at that price.
    Discounted Groupset (veloce is good value and it HAS to be campag obviously!) and second hand bits (stem, bars, seat post, saddle etc), then either something like that Beone frame or a secondhander and you should still have enough left for something reasonable wheel wise.
    Much more interesting than an off the peg offering at that price (unless you can pick up a real bargain somewhere).

edhornby

I would be careful about homebuilds on price – the incidentals can push the price up… but the good thing is that you can get the right spec (and better wheels than a lot of the complete purchases)

having said all that – the px superlight alu with SRAM red is a killer deal

neilnevill
    Free Member

some offers about today at px and merlin so …what do people think of this spec

planet x nanolight, medium (frame, forks and headset – 499)
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXNAHIMOD/nanolight_high_modulus_carbon_road_frame_with_fork_and_headset

fsa wing anatomic aero bars 42cm wide, 31.8mm clamp 14.99
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBFSWING/fsa_wing_anatomic_aero_handlebar

ritchey road stem 110mm, 31.8mm clamp 7.99
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/STRITCHEY/ritchey_stem

twlelfty post 31.6mm – 9.99
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SPOO272BKTS/on_one_seatpost_twelfty_sport_mtb_seatpost__black

so £532.96 at px for frame, forks and finishing kit

then at merlin
    kysirium equipe wheels in black – 269.95 -15% discount
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Basket/Product+Detail/2011+Mavic+Ksyrium+Equipe+Wheels_MAVICKSYRIUMEQUIPE.htm
    with a pair of michelin 3 pro race tyres included

and a 105 10 speed compact groupset for 329.95 -15% discount
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Basket/Product+Detail/Shimano+105+5600+Compact+Groupset_SHIMANO-105CT-GROUP.htm
    (includes chain and cables)

total £509.92 at merlin
    grad total = £1042.88….plus some for bar tape, 2 tubes and a saddle (I have pedals and a seat clamp already) so say about £1075 for the full bike

comparing it to the px nanolight full bike….they do a sram force version but it is £225 more and it has planet x model b wheels, I assume the kysirium equipes are a fair bit better?

Hmm….very tempted.

NOTE – SOMETHING ODD WITH THE MERLIN LINKS. TO SOLVE INSERT A ‘+’ SIGN BETWEEN PRODUCT AND DETAIL AND PICK UP THE WHOLE LINK ENDING IN ‘.HTM’

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what road bike for ~£1000?’ is closed to new replies.