Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What Road bike bar tape?
  • Kryton57

Black only, something decent as it’s for my bestest bike, I’d liked something thick like that the comes OEM with Giant Defy’s but light as it’s the race bike.

Suggestions?

jonk

cinelli gel is the best IMO

eskay

Deda

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got the Fizik Performance one for my bestest bike, it looks and feels lovely.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cinelli tennis bar tape

mrmo
    Free Member

fizik,

got some cube stuff a few weeks ago and worn out already, the last fizik lasted over a year.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Bought some Zipp tape for the wifes bike from merlins and is really nice stuff. told her that was as close to Zipp stuff she we ever get to.

iainc

Lizard skins DSP is my fave

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Have always liked Fizik, but recently used Giant SLR tape, which does the job just as well but is cheaper, and is more pliable making it easier to apply. Looks similar to the Fizik tape too.

plus-one

+1 for fizik performance tape(thick one) feels like velvet 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

The oem stuff on my Defy had a gel backing which felt nice but caused the tape to move around when your hands got warm, or in summer.
    The SLR tape doesn’t do this as it isn’t gel backed, but is still comfortable.

sputnik
    Free Member

Have used both Zipp and Lizzard Skin DSP and like both but didn’t last long enough , currently using Fizik Performance Tacky and it’s my favourite of the bunch,

TiRed

I like Fizik micro. Thin but you can use the gel inserts. Me, i prefer carbon bars for comfort as i have girlie small hands.

scotroutes

Another DSP fan. It seems to stay “sticky” even when wet meaning you don’t have to grip the bars so hard. That can mean less road buzz.

somafunk

Lizard Skins DSP is available in three different thicknesses, 1.8mm, 2.5mm and 3.2mm.

I use the 2.5mm on my Kinesis Tripster but i always ride with gloves, either full fingered in the winter or poncy roadie style in the summer – If you like thick tape then try the 3.2mm DSP, Like a big old chunky comfortable grip on your roadie drop bars but with decent levels of feel and feedback

Kryton57

SLR tape done, and I like it. However I followed a YouTube vid advice, which places the tape “around ” the bars at the bar end parallel with the end of the bar, tucking the 1/2 width excess inside, which was really difficult as the flexibility of the tape didn’t allow it to be tucked in very easily.

Any advice at how to “start” to make this easier?

somafunk

Forget the usual bar end plugs that come with the tape and buy some of the Hope expander plugs as they hold the tape in place and never fall out.

Haze

Zipp Service Course most comfiest I’ve tried, Fizik Micotex less comfy but far longer lasting.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Zipp tape is made by lizard skins

mrblobby
    Free Member

Forget the usual bar end plugs that come with the tape and buy some of the Hope expander plugs as they hold the tape in place and never fall out.

Never quite understood the need for these. Bar end plugs do the job just fine and are quite a bit lighter too.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Widget Grip Bar tape,

timba
    Free Member

Spesh Phat bar tape, with gel pads. 4.5mm or 2.5mm @£13 if you shop around

bol

Spesh Roubaix (I think they’re still allowed to call it that) double width is the comfiest I’ve used and still looks good at the end of the year.

Edric64
    Free Member

You are actually worried about the weight of bar tape ?

atlaz
    Free Member

The thick deda stuff or the padded Cannondale one

joespencer33
    Free Member

Cinelli Cork tape-so much nicer than my OEM giant stuff

Basil

Spech Roubaix. Comfy and nice matt black cloth

pinetree
    Free Member

Supacaz, if only because you get to watch the instructional installation video 🙂
    YouTube it and thank me later.

kiwijohn

Brookes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got some cheap-ish Fizik cork stuff on my Defy. Nits very nice, a was surprised. It’s black with gold speckles, so looks good up close. My LBS also sold an adhesive shaped gel pad kit that you stick on the bars themselves in the usual contact points and then tape over if you’re worried about comfort. Seems a better approach than spending a lot on gel bar tape to me.

crikey
    Free Member

🙄

It’s only bar tape. Go to shop, buy some in the colour you want, put on bike.

somafunk

mrblobby : I run salsa woodchopper flared end bars and the usual push fit plugs often catch or rub against stuff and fall out so i use the Hope expander plugs as they hold the tape inside very securely, and i’ll only start to worry bout weight when Dave Brailsford calls me up to join the squad.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Lizard skins dsp.. top stuff! 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kryton, do you wear gloves? Makes a difference IMO, I go for slightly thicker in the summer because I don’t wear gloves, then winter it’s thinner stuff. I use Fizik but I’ve used other brands, Spec’s stuff is pretty good, but the problem with Spec’s is it’s branded and you can see who make the tape, like that really matters.
    I don’t agree with just buying the first thing then stick it on, I’ve used stuff that’s been far too sticky, far too fleece like, far too cork based that chips off, some with the glue on the back that lasts 300ths of a second then peels off, a good tape that fits your hands is well worth the cost and effort to roll it on properly, IMO of course.
    Take a look at Fizik then Spesh..

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Not wearing gloves on road bike…… Is thou crazy?

gamo
    Free Member

Deda.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, I prefer it 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Swapping bar tape from winter to summer ?????????

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I swap my tape to match my outfits.

Lizard Skins, BTW.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, why not?? At £25 or so a pop it’s not a lot of money and not only that it’s all in the feel ( I think anyway ) I can’t abide tape that’s too thick, so slightly thicker in summer because I don’t wear gloves and thinner in winter when I do.. I’ve done P-R a few times and added gel strips under the tape once, and wished I hadn’t, blisters around the thumb/palm so the following year it was back to thin tape and winter gloves, perfect.

Insulation tape ain’t bar tape 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What Road bike bar tape?’ is closed to new replies.