Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • What remote car?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Red light on the charger flashing away… Waiting for it to go green.

👿

verses

Is it ready yet?!?!? Is it ready yet?!?!? Is it ready yet?!?!?

brakes
    Free Member

what do people do with high end RC cars apart from rag them round the beach / field? and maybe race them.
    doesn’t it get boring pretty quick? as a kid I reckon it would be fun but as a an adult I’m not so sure.

johndoh
    Free Member

No it’s not! No it’s not! No it’s not! Bloody battery (a huge 5000mah LiPo) is taking an age to charg)! Everyone in the office is *nearly* as impatient as me. We’re building a circuit for it at lunchtime….

verses

I’d been toying with buying one a while ago, but decided just to revive the old one I had when I was a kid instead.

New battery, charger and speed controller (about £25 all in). Used it for a couple of weeks and it’s sat doing nothing since. Glad I resisted the more expensive options.
    </parade_rain>

Still, the OPs looks ace 🙂

v8ninety

Axial wraith/derivatives is where it’s at if you like building/modding/customising, imho. That Traxxas thing looks bloody impressive though; jealous; it’ll be a lot of fun…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Pete – most (i.e early all) cars nowadays are wheel controller

At the high end there’s still loads of people using stick. Last time I raced was about 5 years ago and it was about 80% of drivers on twin stick.
    I was the only one using an FM transmitter though, everyone else was on 2.4ghz. 🙂
    I’d got a really high end FM set of eBay for peanuts. Nothing wrong with it, worked exactly like everyone else’s 2.4ghz kit, it just wasn’t fashionable.
    It’s a British thing. We love twin stick.
    I could probably have a toy like that Landy and get used to it but I couldn’t race with one.

johndoh
    Free Member

You certainly couldn’t race it – waaaaay too slow for that. They do have a big scene in the US for Rock Crawler competitions though – you can even change settings on the car to make it pass certain competition criteria (ie, some down’t allow the use of reverse).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. I know. I was talking about the controller style, not the car itself.
    I’ve raced RC cars on and off since about 1984. My last stint was 1/10 scale touring cars.

DrP

I’ll ‘fess up to being a real YouTube RC geek!
    The crawling videos are cool.. trouble is, this sort of thing is more fun if there’s a few of you driving..are there clubs near you Jon?

DrP

v8ninety

I would literally be cautiously enthusiastic for a STW crawling club; I don’t know if there’s anything active in the UK at the moment, but the extra level of sorting g that STW provides means there would always be loads in common with other enthusiasts

johndoh
    Free Member

OMGOMGOMG

Great fun – unfortunately I have had to pack it up as I am about to rush off to see Dunkirk at Bradford Imax!

dlr

brakes: RC Racing is quite a large thing, national series for all different scales etc, I race at club meetings twice a week, sometimes three. Got a large event on Sunday on the tarmac track at Carlisle (hoping weather holds!). I do occasionally take my buggy for a general thrash but that is normally a bit boring after a while, much better racing around with others for fun/actual races

v8ninety

It’s CERTAINLY more fun with more vehicles than just your own on the go; whether that be on the highly regulated racing circuit or just bashing around with mates. Hence my cautious suggestion above.

prawny

STW crawling club

What was that? Oh Rock crawling, as you were.

I’ve always wanted a good decent toy RC car, always had crap ones when I was kid because I didn’t fancy building up from a kit. Wish I’d had a Lunchbox though, still fancy one of them.

If I won the lottery I’d happily spaff the cash on a few good ones and race them round the grounds.

flange
    Free Member

I have one of these

It’s massive and mentally quick, and because of the size of it you can drive it across pretty much anything. It needs a proper exhaust on it but it’s antisocial enough as it is. I’ve also got a couple of Lipo’s, including an Annsman running an 8s. If you hold it off the ground and give it some throttle it’ll happily blow the tyres off the rims.

I’m thinking of selling the Losi as it’s just too big to use anywhere. Once sold I think I’ll be having one of those Defenders

Would quite like to get the youngest into racing them, there’s a race meet in Tonbridge on Sunday and I think she’d like the Mini series they do. Well, I know I would…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ll ‘fess up to being a real YouTube RC geek!

Me too 🙂

I’ve always been a big fan of RC cars but haven’t owned one for a while.

After reading this thread that is going to change prompto…

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I took it out yesterday and (after fighting my two little girls off) I put it through its paces – it is amazing, drives so well and all but the steepest (ie, when gravity takes over) inclines are drivable. I took it over some really rough stuff and the only time it got stuck was when it grounded when straddling big roots.

And with a 5000mah lipo power pack, it lasted about 1hr 30 mins too so no having to carry a dead car back home afterwards.

flange
    Free Member

1hr 30? That’s mental, I’ve got a similar lipo in one of my cars and I’m lucky if I see 15 minutes out of it. Assuming it’s not running hard if you’re mainly doing rock crawling with it?

As much as I love Lipo’s, they do scare me a bit after one went bang whilst charging. Thankfully it was only a 1s, although it left a bit of a crater in the worktop…

johndoh
    Free Member

As much as I love Lipo’s, they do scare me a bit after one went bang whilst charging.

:-O

I might start charging mine in the garage then! I had heard they can do that sometimes.

But yes – as it’s crawling it doesn’t use anything like the same power as a fast car.

flange
    Free Member

Is yours in a hard case, or a soft case one? I’ve had both and I’ve never had issues with a hard case. Soft case…well, not so much. If charging inside I’d recommend getting one of those charging bags. Seriously, they go off with a proper bang – have a look at the youtube footage of them…

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s a hard case – and I am getting a charging bag!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

dlr – Where is your home track? You will know Chris Mitchell & Co I presume.

Me and my son got ourselves pretty competitive on minis (Mo5) for a season but his interest died. Still have an older Xray setup, controller, lipo charger, and all the other tools etc etc. Its all boxed up for if I get interested myself again.

DrP

John – that defender looks properly awesome!
    I keep watching videos of them…it’s only the lack of stock preventing me click ‘buy’..the wife’ll go mad, but they sure look fun!

Hmm…

REally you need a group of ‘crawlers’ to have proper fun, right?

DrP

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Hmm, a group of grown men walking around the woods while twiddling their joysticks. Make it even more fun and do it at night and upgrade them with led lights.

It wouldn’t be the coolest activity I have ever seen but as long as you guys are enjoying your toy cars (As my wife used to call them).

DrP

That’s the spirit…

DrP

twonks

There’s something about the crawlers and especially scale trucks, which the defender is sort of, that appeals to me much more the just blatting the loud stick and powering over / through / off things, as my revo does now.

Probably explains why it doesn’t get used.

Might sell it and look towards a more dare I say it – grown up rc car.

Annoyingly, I had a wraith that I upgraded and got running very nicely, then sold it. Doh.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What remote car?’ is closed to new replies.