• This topic has 24 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What rear light?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I want to be noticed when I’m out on my road bike – as wasn’t last weekend (see other thread).
    I never thought I’d spend north of £30 on a rear light but if it stops me getting knocked off again I’ll pay whatever…it’ll be on even during the day.

Looking at one of these?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/316948/products/lezyne-strip-drive-pro-rear-bike-light.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CNKEwIH84soCFcYcGwodzqoBKA

Anything else/better worth considering?

barnun
    Free Member

Check out the RSP Astrum, very bright and definitely gets attention

https://www.merlincycles.com/rsp-astrum-2-x-1-2-watt-rear-led-light-45010.html

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Cateye Rapid X/X2 are both worth a look – X2 in daylight is worth a gander – are quite pricey though.

tomd
    Free Member

Really impressed with the Exposure TraceR I got recently, can be had for £35. Really good for visibility on the road (pulse mode is excellent), well made and long battery life.

That Lezyne you linked to will be fine, I have a Zecto rear light which is good but prefer the pulse mode on the exposure. Also have one of their helmet lights and it’s also good and well made.

BadlyWiredDog

Exposure TraceR – USB rechargeable, good mounting system, very bright, British designed and made.

TiRed

Cycliq Fly6. More money, very bright, but you do get to film the next driver to hit you. Used mine last week to report a dangerous driver.

I also have a Rapid X as backup and the trike runs TWO Rapid Micros.

The Fly6, mount aside, is brilliant.

drlex
    Free Member

If you like the Astrum, Planet X do a version for £4 – Phaart bleep if you don’t mind the comedy brand name. Fits a standard Smart bracket and I see the liquidation code knocks another £1 off.
    I’ve found the Moon Shield lamp rechargeable excellent for visibility in the past few years. Only downside is that the clip broke, and it’s superglued to the bracket – rubber strap allows easy removal/refixing. Can be found £20-25.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I like the Smart R2 USB

reggiegasket
    Free Member

moon nebula here

MoreCashThanDash

See Sense here. Arguably paying for gimmicks, but a great light and decent run times

cynic-al
    Free Member

To me, cob lights like moon are at least as visible as the blinding alternatives

grtdkad

Knog Blinder , usb chargeable, completely waterproof. Super bright.

Trust mine implicitly. V v bright with good range of flash patterns.

shaungero
    Free Member

Wilko £5 great rear light

timba
    Free Member

This for daylight use, it’s not cheap though

loddrik
    Free Member

Smart lunar r2

gerti
    Free Member

A second here for See Sense.

I got the Icon plus front and rear. The crash texting feature is a comfort, especially for my more secluded commuting routes. Combined with a hump jacket for reflective purposes, I feel I’ve done as much as I can to be seen.

pnik

Been impressed with the old lezyne ones, no experiene of the replacements, but assume better lights nd same build quality.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies….some a hadn’t considered there.
    The Smart Lunar R2 USB looks excellent for the money – £10 at Sigma.
    Looks quite bulky and I don’t want a bracket type fitting – a quick strap type attachment is what I’d prefer.
    Bontrager Flare looks very good.
    I’ve heard lots of cases of the Knog Blinder’s straps snapping so that’s out of the running.
    I still really like the Lezyne Strip Pro – £28 – gets great reviews.
    The Moon Nebula looks and sounds like the one I want – looks the nuts and stupidly powerful like the Lezyne.
    reggiegasket – how are you getting on with yours?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield.

Two of them.

No, you really DID see me….

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Moon Comet and a Moon Ring. The former is more than bright enough but having two both lets me have one on constant and one on flash mode and there’s some redundancy in case one runs out of juice. Unfortunately one has a USB mini-B charging port and the other has a USB micro-B port 😈

kcr
    Free Member

The last rear I bought was a Cygolite Hotshot. Having used lots of rear lights over the years, the weak spot always seems to be the waterproofing – eventually the rain gets into the battery compartment or switch. The Hotshot is a sealed, USB rechargeable unit, and I’ve been using it successfully for a couple of winters without any problems. Very bright, and a variety of steady, regular pulse or random disco patterns.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member
    dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Another vote for the moon shield, I don’t think I’ve ever had it off low or flashing. Maybe if i was in fog during the day it might get used but at night they’ll definitely see you.

qtip

I use the Bontrager Flare. Hard to say how effective these things are, since you don’t see it yourself, but it makes sense to me and I’ve not had any close calls yet. Rechargeable. Night constant, night flashing, day constant, and day flashing. More lumens in the day modes where they’re needed, less (but still lots) in night modes to extend battery life. Night flashing mode is actually brighter pulses rather than on/off, so constantly a source of light. Decent side visibility too. Rubber band attachment method is very secure and means easy switching between bikes.

jeffl

Alpkit are doing some lights, bit like the moon nebula, not got one myself but they look pretty good.

I’m currently using a moon shield on low on the seatpost and one of the planet x jobs on flashing on my backpack. Seem to have been doing the job for the last year commuting 60 miles a week in and around Sheffield. I’ve obviously jinxed myself now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What rear light?’ is closed to new replies.