• This topic has 142 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by juliachiller-spam.
Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • What protein shakes do you use?
  • kimbers

hora – Member
    100ml’s? Where do I spray the rest?

up the curtains

Hora you could cut them and sell them as a post ride high protein chew

hora
    Free Member

Good for your hair too

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

lols @ 200 grams a day. WTF.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think most of those on this thread advocating protein supplements are probably fat boys pretending to be athletes.

I’d say the fat boys are probably those guzzling bottles of frijj after doing a lap of cannock and thinking they’ve done a workout.

nikk
    Free Member

1 bottle (471ml) of Frijj has got:

343 calories
    19g protein
    52g carbs (mostly sugars)
    6.1g fat

I don’t think drinking chocolate milk after a ride has got anything to do with weight gain. More likely the beers and takeaways and chocolate and endless wheat (bread / pasta / cake) and lack of other extended exercise.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you want to get big…

That sounds like a cry for help.

mmannerr

Oh there is enough indication on pubmed about usefulness of protein drinks. Though if you are getting protein drinks after exercise for most people it would make sense to consume less calories on other meals. There are also host of other supplements available but none of the legal ones are match the usefulness for good protein drink.

Maybe most relevant studies for this crowd are that protein intake around exercise is beneficial ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17095924 ) and the one discussing that old men had muscle growth only if nutrition was available very soon after exercise ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11507179 ) 😀

P.S. One commonly quoted study compared chocolate milk to sports drinks (which contained no protein!) for recovery, no wonder the results were favorable for chocolate milk.

kimbers

Hmmm I wouldnt say the data on this is conclusive about the benefits of protein around exercise
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20029509
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21535185
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24343835
    but overall it does seem that there is some benefit

The problem is that all of the studies are underpowered, ie they dont look at a large enough sample size to really draw firm conclusions

P.S. One commonly quoted study compared chocolate milk to sports drinks (which contained no protein!) for recovery, no wonder the results were favorable for chocolate milk.

and there is even less evidence as to whether there is any difference in getting your protein from an expensive protein supplement or a nice glass of milk

zilog6128

and there is even less evidence as to whether there is any difference in getting your protein from an expensive protein supplement or a nice glass of milk

Right, but as has been pointed out a few times, protein supplements are a cheaper source of protein than milk. Why do you (and others) keep insisting they are all expensive? Just because some of the over-marketed ones are?

brassneck

100mls?

I’ll have a few more eggs thanks…

A bit of wee came out when I read that

_tom_
    Free Member

Milk probabaly has more sugar in it as well.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Right, but as has been pointed out a few times, protein supplements are a cheaper source of protein than milk. Why do you (and others) keep insisting they are all expensive? Just because some of the over-marketed ones are?

Indeed the protein drink that I use that I linked to above cots £43.49 for just over 1 months supply taking in 81g on non training days and 108g on training days and works out at approx £1.40 per day, a 2 pint bottle of milk costs £1.00 and provides approx 40g of protein.

I’ll stick with the shake.

kimbers

choc milk is 4:1 carb to protein

which is similar to a lot of recovery drinks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the point you’re missing is to get the equivelent amount of protein you’d need quite a lot of milk. Which would;

a) be more expensive
    b) contain a lot of sugar

mrblobby
    Free Member

Indeed the protein drink that I use that I linked to above cots £43.49 for just over 1 months supply taking in 81g on non training days and 108g on training days and works out at approx £1.40 per day, a 2 pint bottle of milk costs £1.00 and provides approx 40g of protein.

You can get a 5kg bag of Impact Whey Protein from myprotein for 45 quid. A couple of months worth there at that rate. You’d be spending nearly twice as much on milk.

Often just simple carbs (nesquik is mostly fructose I think.) Recovery drinks typically have more complex carbs. A better alternative would be to mix milk with some finely milled oats (loads of low GI carbs, decent fibre, and it tastes good without any flavouring.)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

b) contain a lot of sugar

Correct;

0.6g in my shake to get 27g of protein

100ml of milk approx 5g of sugar to get 3.4g of protein.

kimbers

milk itself is nearer 1:1

and

Often just simple carbs (nesquik is mostly fructose I think.) Recovery drinks typically have more complex carbs.

as shown above have no known benefit over chocco milk as a recovery drink

fair enough if you want to save money
    but frankly I cant be arsed with the hassle, Im happy to have a glass of milk after my 40 min cycle to work and when I get home
    and a tasty frij and maybe a pork pie and some haribo waiting in the car at the end of an offroad ride

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You can get a 5kg bag of Impact Whey Protein from myprotein for 45 quid. A couple of months worth there at that rate. You’d be spending nearly twice as much on milk.

Unfortunately I have to have the more expensive isolate, sensitive tummy and all that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

but frankly I cant be arsed with the hassle, Im happy to have a glass of milk after my 40 min cycle to work and when I get home and a tasty frij and maybe a pork pie and some haribo waiting in the car at the end of an offroad ride

if it works for you then that’s great. I find that high GI stuff doesn’t work well for me post workout, especially if it’s late evening.

zilog6128

which is similar to a lot of recovery drinksWhy are you changing the goalposts and talking about “recovery drinks” when this thread is about protein supplements?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unfortunately I have to have the more expensive isolate, sensitive tummy and all that.

10% off at the moment at myprotein 🙂

kimbers

Why are you changing the goalposts and talking about “recovery drinks” when this thread is about protein supplements?

i was responding to the pubmed links above

and the entire premise of protein to build muscle after exercise is essentially talking about recovery

a quick glance at myfitnesspal entries tells me i easily acheive my protein intake for the day (about 116g)

mmannerr

which is similar to a lot of recovery drinks
    Which is not same as good protein drink. Lots of commercial protein drinks are filled with sugar but luckily not all.
    Optimally one would control daily protein intake per bodyweight and activity but most will not be arsed to do so.

Personally I use protein drinks after long rides and heavy training sessions if there is no real food immediately available and often use half the dose recommended.
    The additional protein is maybe fifth or sixth most important aspect in building fitness (after training, overall diet, rest, skill, lifestyle etc) but as it is one of the easiest to get right why not?

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘What protein shakes do you use?’ is closed to new replies.