Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • What proportion of people on here buy bikes off the peg?
  • GW
    Free Member

it’s sometimes cheaper to buy a complete bike “off the peg” than the same frame on it’s own 😉

kiwijohn

2 off the peg, FS & SS.
    3 custom built HT at the mo.
    The HTs were fun to build, but the FS was good as is.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Would have thought that the proportions are hugely in favour of off the peg bikes. They offer way better value. in my experience mods tend to be made whenthings expire eg transmission, much like any self build might. Also despite what mag reveiwers would have us believe, most bike do the job perfectly well and vitually all riders can’t tell differences anyway

forge197
    Free Member

Bought a couple off the peg bikes mainly as the deals I could get on them made them better value than individual parts. I do then tend to replace parts before they hit the trails so the bike is as I would have wanted it, and sell the parts that don’t meet the needs.

For me the majority have been custom and the off the pegs soon become custom 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Bought a Dawes Tamarak off the peg and then set about “upgrading” it.

Then I got given a an old Spesh Stumpjumper which I then set about renovating.

I bought a Coyote Dual frame and sold the Stumpy to buy the bits to build it up.

I got given a Kona Stinky frame and sold the Tamarak to buy the bits to build it up.

I bought a Dialled Alpine frame and sold the Stinky to buy the bits to build it up.

I would probably buy off the peg if the deal was right but it is undeniably more fun sourcing bits and building it yourself.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Of my current 5 bikes ( Hardtail, Full Suss, CX, Road (Winter) Road (Summer)
    Only the cx was “off the peg”, however, I have tweaked it a bit with better/differnt bits..

Oh, and had it re-sprayed.

So I guess, basically I just build up bikes with a spec I like, not what it comes with..

will
    Free Member

When i was into dirt jumping i bought all the kit, and made the bike myself. Worked out to cost me around £1100 It was a nice bike, with good kit, but to buy a similar one off the peg, i think would cost about £600 at most.

I bought my Felt off the peg, very happy with it, only changed bars and seatpost.

steve_b77
    Free Member

About 33% of me.

Pitch is off the peg, but now with plenty of upgrades.

Allez is off the peg and completly standard (up for sale too)

Handjob bought all the bits and built it myself bar the wheels, got some good bargains buying ’08 parts and sale bits too

ononeorange

Of my 4 bikes plus a tandem, only one (the P7) was off-the-peg. The other three have been frames that have had things put on them. And taken off. And put back on again. The tandem was bought as just a frame too. So I think that’s 80% home-built from me.

vadar
    Free Member

Used to buy them of the peg..Then saw how much cheaper it was to build it up on my own to my own spec..or get the shop to do some ,if its a bargain.
    Most shops rip you of for builds anyway, and it always helps to know how to strip and maintain bikes.
    Heckler -own spec build,chameleon- own spec build,.Spesh stumpy-custom build/own spec.trek oclv -custom build
    Tcr carbon -custom build
    Ocr- off the peg
    trek h/t-off the peg..my road bikes were built by shops till i learned how to myself..
    OFF THE PEG AGAIN………NNNNNOOOOOOOOO

fingerbike
    Free Member

Bought an off the peg bike in 94, ever since have just replaced components when needed, I buy new frame and forks and build up with existing components everytime…

FOG

I think it is as much about how bikes evolve from their starting point.My HT was built by me. my road bike was off the peg but has already had a few changes to suit myself.
    My old hack steel mtb has had so many different bits of kit on it I can’t remember how it startd even though was off the peg.
    Some people can’t leave alone while others are happy to replace bits only when they are worn out.
    Whatever deal you can get has got to be a decider whichever route you choose.

Fagus
    Free Member

I’m just building a new “local rides and no need to pamper it” bike. Brand new frame cost £85. H/S, seat post and clamp £10, chain set complete £60, brakes £100. The rest was lying around waiting to be used. Got a bike that would have cost £700/800 from a shop for £255. It’s got bits on it that I like, because i’ve used them before, just moving them down the ladder. I wouldn’t have bought new.

metalheart
    Free Member

haven’t bought a strictly off the peg bike in decades (okay my Giant TCR is stock appart from the compact chainset).

always always want to change something.

need to get right frame, forks, wheels, tyres, bars and now brakes.

that said still contemplating a stock Anthem X1 (except changing the bars…)

Daveb575
    Free Member

Out of my 4 bikes only one is off the peg which is a cx bike.

I mainly build my own because I enjoy doing it rather than any issues to do with cost, although it often works out cheaper for me in terms of outlay at the time because I use bits I have hoarded over time rather than buying everthing new. I also like to be able to spec the parts that I want.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What proportion of people on here buy bikes off the peg?’ is closed to new replies.