Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • What physical ailment has made you feel the most miserable?
  • racefaceec90

i know they are a cause for hilarity,but piles in my case.

not painful (most of the time) but has ruined my life for years now (have seen my doc about them btw).

if i could cure either my depression or piles in an instance,i would choose the jeremies without a second thought.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Injury wise it’s between the shattered shoulder blade I had 20 years ago or the fractured neck I did 2 years ago, first 100% my fault 2nd RTA and 100% not my fault!

Illness wise testicular cancer which in itself wasn’t that bad treatment wise but the infection I got that left me with a wrecked liver, kidneys and lungs was hard to cope with. Over time my liver and kidneys got much better and are not an issue now but permanently having an ~ 40% loss in lung efficiency has been hard to live with especially when trying to drag my heavy arse up hills!

teasel
    Free Member

if i could cure either my depression or piles in an instance,i would choose the jeremies without a second thought.

You can get that done without issue, as far as I know. Just press your doc for an op to remove them. If they’re so bad they affect your riding you won’t have many probs getting surgery. Don’t suffer for your arse… 😉

gummikuh

Toothache is miserable, and I can’t stand it, I had a crazy dentist try and move an obstinate molar that I had managed to shatter, he had me lifted off the chair whilst pulling only to concede defeat and suggest a GA. my missus had never heard me scream so loud and she was concerned I would attack him.
    I also remember breaking 3 bones in my right foot as a soldier running across a pitch black field carrying a GPMG and a Bergen and falling down a rabbit hole. I carried on walking for a further 3 days and just not taking my boot off, My OC telling me to man up, until finally crawling to the MO.
    Ruptured appendix was no fun either.
    Nor was getting into a bad fight in Colchester and having numerous ribs broken and a very flat nose.

deadslow

Well the gift of the tooth abscess keeps giving. Since my OP I had the offending tooth removed last week. A very unpleasant 20 minutes while it felt the dentist was trying to pull my lower jaw out. Eventually he drilled the tooth in half and pulled the two bits out separately. OK, a bit grim but it needed to come out as it had a fracture all the way through it and could never be mended.
    Three days of nice healing and then pain and discomfort like before! Anyway have you ever heard of dry socket? Pain like you have an abcess because the bone and tooth are exposed. Cue more antibiotics and raid the painkillers!

ransos
    Free Member

Another one for dental abscess, which I had a couple of times due to wisdom teeth not coming through properly. I had them out surgically, under local anaesthetic last year. They had to drill the teeth into tiny pieces, and lever them out bit by bit. It was fairly painful due to the swelling, and it took ages to heal up, but a total walk in the park compared to the misery that went before.

headfirst
    Free Member

Epididimitis

Currently two weeks into my second bout of this, my GP put me straight on to the ‘serious’ antibiotics after my experience last time, when it took until the third course of antibiotics to make any impact.

When it’s bad it’s like bad toothache, but in your bollock. 😥

aphex_2k
    Free Member

My diabetes. Some days I feel utter shyte. Nauseous tired irritable lethargic.

leegee

I am currently laid up after breaking my Patella into several pieces. The most painful part of that was it being plastered in A&E, I had gas and air but it was still very painful.

several years ago I was in an accident and had a long wound on my right fore arm after it was dragged along the road for about 10 metres. In A&E the doctor attending to me walked away and a huge doctor came over and started squeezing and pulling the wound and big bits of grit and glass were coming out. It was agony and I thought I was gonna pass out. He could see I was in pain and said “Have you not had a local mate” “No” I said, “Oh” he said as he turned and walked away.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Most miserable – wasted 3 years of my life trying to recover and still working through it.I will never dance again

Most recent – can’t do planned swimming as part of January fitness drive (ankle still prevents cycling and most other options)

badnewz
    Free Member

+1 for Worldclassaccident having the best name of this forum.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Broken bones, spinal injuries, knocked out teeth, sprains . . . all have nothing on Kidney stones. Worst pain I could ever imagine . . . like trying to piss out a hedghog . . .

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve had, I think, 6 pilonidal abscesses. They cut and drain them (general anesthetic) and then let it heal from the inside out. That means stuffing it with gauze twice a day, pulling the old stuff out and putting a little less in. Pain like you wouldn’t believe!

I had one the size of a golf ball cut out a few days before I was off to Glastonbury. I felt nothing thanks to the morphine cocktail for the first day post op still in the hospital. I asked the Dr. very honestly about the effect of those painkillers and other ‘stuff’ one might take at a festival. He said I could go home 48 hours after my last does of morphine. I stopped immediately but passed out 3 out of 4 times with those un/re-packings. The nurse was brilliant and when I was unconscious, finished the job before I came around. Glastonbury was amazing and I can tel you, the best pain suppressants are [redacted] washed down with snakebite and black in front of the Pyramid Stage.

The ailment that made me most miserable was a cracked patella. It was extremely sore for a few days and kept me off the bike for a little under 4 months. The bit that’s really got to me though is that 14 months later, it’s still uncomfortable at times on a ride, or crouching down, or at the end of a long walk or run.

I think that’s got to me as I realised I’m getting on a bit and injuries stay with you 🙁

Being (rapid swing, cyclothymic) bi-polar. That’s not an ailment really. Usually unmedicated. Fairly mild hypomania and relatively short-lived depression. It’s more just a part of me. I don’t know any different and the hyper bits are quite fun. Exasperates the wife a bit as it’s like being a really over-excited teenager, except with the freedom of an adult. The worst (or most unusual) thing I’ve ever done there was cycle to my parents’ house at 1am. They live near Exeter… I was living in Southampton 🙂

tomhoward

Another one for diabetes here, not so much the actual condition it’s self, but all the other really shit stuff it leads to.

Single point of pain? Having a particularly fierce, not to mention unsympathetic, burly ward sister removing, nay yanking, a catheter from me.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

In my case Tinnitus, must be nearly 10 years of what sounds like someone blowing a dog (sometimes 2) whistle in my head.
    Not life threatening but bloody miserable when you can never experience peace and quiet.
    No cure, no treatment, suck it up and live with it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Nobody said heart yet? A broken heart will make you very miserable.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Nobody said heart yet? A broken heart will make you very miserable.

GTFO!

😐

joolsburger
    Free Member

A very large abscess where the sun shines not. Coupled with a doctor with fingers like a welder and the treatment of packing and unpacking it with a dressing I can safely say lead to the worst 4 days of my life so far. Proper eye watering. Also was a test case at the teaching hospital so I had an audience for my pain.

globalti
    Free Member

No serious injuries but I had genuine flu once and felt awful, I couldn’t believe how much I slept.

Also got bad food poisoning on my first trip to Pakistan from melted and re-frozen ice cream. I was amazed at how much hot water could come out of both ends of the body, simultaneously. I guess I should have been in hospital on a drip, looking back on it now, but all I did was drink some black tea and go out to work the next day, feeling absolutely wretched.

ekul
    Free Member

The worst pain i can think of recently was a few days after having my ACL reconstructed last month. At the point the anaesthetic had worn off and the codeine seemed to making little or no difference, this coupled with the fact I’d had very little sleep in 3 days meant that I just broke down to tears whilst trying to put clignfilm on the dressings for a shower. All the blood rushing to my leg made it feel like it was going to explode. That was a worse pain than the initial ACL rupture or the dislocated patella, they had just felt like a bad growing pain.

The few weeks after were fairly miserable, led around unable to do much apart from pretty painful physio exercises. Feeling a lot better a month in though now I can walk and move about again.

Pigface
    Free Member

GTFO!

Oooh tough guy 😆

brassneck

BTW I’ve had kidney stones. They were awful, a level worse than toothache, and they had me crawling along the floor, but nowhere near the level of pain I had as Guillain-Barre destroyed parts of my nervous system.

Just need a bigger stone. Or actually not. Really not.

(Can’t be in Guillan-Barre territory as I usually self medicate mild cases with codeine and whimpering, but like asteroid strikes one day I’m due a biggy and I’m not looking forward to it. As my GP cheerfully informed me, once a stone thrower, always a stone thrower!)

badnewz
    Free Member

That was a worse pain than the initial ACL rupture or the dislocated patella, they had just felt like a bad growing pain.

How did you dislocate it out of interest?

ekul
    Free Member

That was a worse pain than the initial ACL rupture or the dislocated patella, they had just felt like a bad growing pain.
    How did you dislocate it out of interest?

I was playing rugby and kind of step/twisted off my right foot. The foot stayed planted and the rest of me twisted. Tbh it didn’t even cross my mind that that’s what I’d done, I heard and felt a crack obviously and immediately assumed I’d torn my ligaments given the movements involved. The physio came on, put my leg flat and flicked it back in place before she’d even told me what I’d done. It was probably only out of place for about 2 mins tops. Hence why the pain wasn’t maybe as bad as those described earlier in the thread, like most dislocations I imagine the quicker you get it in the better. There was no impact involved either which I imagine reduced the pain.

Northwind

Genuinely, hangover. Short duration and no lasting effects but while it lasts it was way worse than breaking my hip or exploding my ACL or dislocating my ankle then stepping on the dislocated foot. They’re all physical, just electrical pulses, but a proper hangover is the breaking of the soul

karnali
    Free Member

Aomebic dysentry for 3 with only a cold squat toilet to use, very very dehydrated, that then led to typhoid and a lot of pain around appendix and other internal areas. 7 days on a drip, and a good few months to get back to full strength.

Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘What physical ailment has made you feel the most miserable?’ is closed to new replies.