Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • What physical ailment has made you feel the most miserable?
  • duffmiver
    Free Member

Salmonella poisoning. Thought i was going to die!

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

I think the clear message from the thread is that we all love a moan about our ailments. 🙂

For me, its got to be the prolapsed disc. I haven’t had pain reduce me to tears since I was a little kid but this one had me balling. Never experienced pain like it, the smashed my arm I got from arguing with an Alp a few years ago was merely a flesh wound in comparison. It’s meant I’ve been off the mountainbike since May and I’m still only capable of short, easy sessions on the turbo. Fugging backs…

bex
    Free Member

Abcess on my inner ear. Sobbed with pain whilst on a school trip* to Hampton Court Palace (*I was one of the teachers)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthepies
    Free Member

Amen brother.

Bregante

Guillain-Barre Syndrome
    Me too.

Go from totally fit to absolutely f**ked almost overnight and experience toothache level pain moving along nerves of shoulders and arm. And then watch all those hard won muscles all atrophy to a Belsen like figure. I was lucky – that was only on one side.

(Kidney stones were a breeze in comparison)

Epicyclo, that’s 3 of us on here that have had it (Paulsoxo too). Mine was exactly 13 years ago this week when it struck. Hit me like a train. Went from being a 15st rugby player to being in a wheelchair in the space of 8 weeks. I went down to 12 stone and when I eventually returned to work, many colleagues who had visited me at my lowest point had actually written me off as never returning. Mine was also just down one side and it’s never truly recovered. I still have this feeling of discoordination down the lower left side of my body and legs where my nerve endings have never fully returned. Scariest time of my life.

DaveRambo

I have also had a frozen shoulder that made me pretty miserable.

Went to a physio who indicated it may take 18 months to get better – which made me feel worse. It’s known as an old ladies injury – which made be feel doubly worse.

I decided that there was no way I could last that long so did a lot of research, a lot of exercises (as prescribed by the physio) and 2 sessions a week of massage and manipulation.
    Took 3 months to get almost full movement and 6 months further on I’m almost back to normal.

Physio reckoned that being a cyclist and being able to stand pain helped a lot as she was able to push me further than most people which undoubtedly helped the speed of recovery.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Chemical meningitis & low pressure headaches from lumbar punctures
    Absolutely excruciating, was put on a morphine (Oxycodone) pump for a week with each, with a few other drugs gabapentine (pregabaline) and quite a few steroids amongst others. I don’t remember a lot of the meningitis week but I remember being a right miserable short tempered sod with my wife, which she really didn’t deserve. Can’t remember how many times over the second week in my hospital room I cried to myself for it to stop.

Really hoping to never have to repeat either if those. Unfortunately I have several more LPs planned post stem cell transplant

DaveRambo

… having read a few more ailments I feel like a bit of a wuss with the old frozen shoulder

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I think I’ve actually posted about my cock-saddle-wall interface buckaroo day more than any other topic.

Pissing razorblades is a real thing.

howarthp

lumbar puncture when I was 10
    initial back disc prolapse before back locks up to protect the area
    passing kidney stones
    pulmonary embolism

joolsburger
    Free Member

An abscess in truly the last place you’d want one. Agonising doesn’t cover it and the treatment is god awful to boot.

aP
    Free Member

Nothing too bad really, I didn’t like having a trainee nurse poke a hypodermic needle deep into my elbow joint as she was attempting to extract a blood sample. I felt the needle scraping around inside the joint, and I might have made a high pitched noise.
    But on a more mundane level I had a detached retina which was operated on by cryo-retinopexy at Moorfields, under local anaesthetic. I really don’t like people touching or coming close to my eyes (ever) so to have a man pushing what appeared to be a bic biro round the back of my eyeball for 90 minutes was quite disconcerting, although I did have 2 nurses to hold me down. Going home on the bus and train with bloody tears running down my face was amusing though. and now I do find that when I’m tired I can feel the hundreds of tiny small scars on the back of my left eye dragging across the lining of my eye socket. but at least I can still see out of it 🙂

dazh

In terms of misery and suffering, it has to be norovirus. Like having the flu, but having to do it sat on the bog instead of staying in bed.

In terms of the amount of excruciating, unending and exhausting pain, there’s nothing beats a herniated disc 🙁

deadslow

I think this thread deserves an update. What have I learnt so far? Having a cupboard full of drugs the wife was given when she had a back operation is awesome (even though they might be technically out of date). Co-codamol is much better than paracetamol on its own, nurofen is rubbish when compared to naproxen! Take both with food and I actually managed some sleep. Lying flat in bed makes the tooth throb so I can feel it down my jaw into my neck…its much better to get some sleep propped up with pillows. Hoping that that the antibiotics kick in quick
    The thread makes me thankful I had forgotten about all my other past injuries; snapped tendon in my arm, broken arm and ankylosing spondylitis I have had for 20 years. Malvern Rider I sympathise having been in a similar state of despair before being on biologics which put a smile back on my face. STWs we put up with a lot!

toppers3933
    Free Member

The first time I had glandular fever. Lost a lot of weight in a not very large period of time. Just awful. The second time wasn’t much better to be honest. And it lasted longer. Not even remotely funny.
    Bilateral hernia repair wasn’t particularly ace either. That HURT.

moose
    Free Member

Jumped on a bit of wood with two large rusty nails when I was younger. Exploring an old run down building, hopped down a ledge landed on the wood which I didn’t see, straight through my trainers. The nails went either side of a bone in my foot, my mate couldn’t pull it out, so it was an uncomfortable hop for a few miles. Never felt a pain like it.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m going to indulge in another ailment- a migraine that started on 15th September and lasted til 10th October. That really got me down.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Snapped my banjo strings when I was younger whilst on the job . Didn’t hurt too much but thought I was going to bleed to death when I saw how much blood was coming out . I thought the doctor was going to stitch it up but instead he prescribed a large dose of MTFU 😳

epicyclo

Bregante – Member
    Guillain-Barre Syndrome
    … I still have this feeling of discoordination down the lower left side of my body and legs where my nerve endings have never fully returned. Scariest time of my life.

I’m on the right. When I get tired the right side of my face droops and I sometimes drool. 🙂

Funniest bit is I have regained my reaction time (or at least it’s improved) but when I go to catch something on the right I’m always about 2cm short of it. If I have time to think, I can compensate for it.

My legs are good but any extended upper body work leaves me washed out for days and that’s 25 years now. Oh and occasionally if it’s stressed too long my right arm just flops, although that hasn’t happened for a year or so, but more likely because I recognise the signs and rest it.

The frustrating thing is I was really fit and strong, so it came as a major blow, and I have never come near that again.

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, I forgot malaria about 20 years ago. That and the mefloquine treatment wiped me out for several months afterwards. In hindsight giving 5 weeks’ worth of the normal dose in a day(!) of a potentially quite psychologically damaging drug to a 19 year old possibly wasn’t the safest idea.

senorj

I also had a dental abcess, which over three months and two failed antibiotics , turned into a golf ball on my cheek.Eventually it popped , but needed “drained”.
    Went to hospital and a junior doctor scrapped out the pus with what felt like a filling knife.
    I could feel it on my cheekbone.No anaesthetic.Thing is , it was also the week of my Nana’s funeral , so i HAD to have a shave the day after – Ouchy.
    Eventually had reconstrucive surgery on my jaw to remove the mess the junior doc made. Interesting scar tho’.

coynie09
    Free Member

Gallstones never felt pain like it 25mm gallstone trying to get up a 7mm tube 6 hour operation to remove gallbladder (and stone) and repair tube then having to have tube & a bag hanging out of me for 6 weeks…

TimothyD
    Free Member

Nothing much after reading this thread, just a fractured wrist as a kid or tooth ache.

I feel like one of the luckiest people now.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Permanently injured elbows during my teens meaning I can’t ‘climb properly’ and become a mountain guide was pretty hard, and changed the course of my life, but I’m healthy still and am finding a new life/career calling.

Over training is a sneaky thing.

TimothyD
    Free Member

…and I might have been killed in an avalanche by now.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Six weeks of radio and and chemotherapy got pretty unpleasant from week four onwards. 😕

badllama
    Free Member

Had my (at the time) German Shepard take a disliking to me removing his food bowl from his kennel once.
    Que him swinging on my wrist and me dragging him toward the kennel door then smashing the kennel door against him until he FINALLY let go! This was not done in a calm or collective manor as I was also screaming at my mate to come and **** shoot it! But he was on the phone to his Mrs and never heard me!

Que a trip to A&E with my wrist and hand looking like they had been through a blender. I don’t know what pounds per square inch a German Shepard dog bite is but it punchered the face of my watch at the time.

Got sat down in A&E while they decided what skin went where on my hand and wrist when I quote
    Me “I’m going to pass out”
    Doctor “don’t be silly”

I woke up a short time later looking at a white ceiling, in a very white cubical thinking I was actual dead 😳

wicki
    Free Member

I got dysentery in Africa working with the Rwandan refuges in 94 10 days of constant diarrhea shiting bright green vomiting and general yuck honestly felt I might die and was scared as hell lost over 2 stone and I was not over weight then the helpless fear of it was the worst thing.

TiRed

Well a lot of facial fractured didn’t help, but were controlled by pharmaceutics. But I’d say

[/quote]Flu. I spent 3 weeks in bed only thing I recall was the Mrs waking up to drink, take meds and feed what little I could eat. Then spent 3 or 4 months trying to get my strength back.

I had proper flu about three times in five years, including Bird Flu contracted in the US on a business trip. Took longer to recover than my recent accident. Fortunately I avoided Guillain Barre syndrome, but I am always worried about another infection.

mos

Pneumonia sucked ass.
    Regular toothache is a pain too. Once was taking 4 paracetamol every 2 hours for a day. That made me feel pretty grotty.

jam-bo

Once was taking 4 paracetamol every 2 hours for a day. That made me feel pretty grotty.

from the toothache or the paracetamol overdose?

franksinatra

My most recent flaring up of an old back injury saw me pass out. Unfortunately I was camping at the time so not the best environment to be crippled. Fortunately I was able to pretty quickly access some hardcore painkillers, the next week or so is all a bit of a blur.

For unforgiving misery though, seasickness. the first 36 hours of a 5 day/4 night live aboard dive trip on a flat hulled dive boat on the (choppy) great barrier reef. I honestly wanted to die.

deadslow

I have been amazed by the way we wreck our bodies or they are wrecked by illness and infection but yet still manage some good humour. STWers I salute you, your inflections and ailments and wish you all speedy recovery. After 72hrs the double dose of antibiotics have kicked in and I am feeling a bit chirpier. I am grateful that I live in the first world, have access to and can afford a decent dentist, have antibiotics and pain control within reach…..it could have been so much worse in another country, time or situation! your posts have put it all in perspective!

Caher

osteoarthritis of the knee – meant to have a knee replacement soon but not convinced it’s a good idea…

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Kidney stones had it twice,first time was drinking a glass of water and feeling a bit grim and what I thought was back pain for the past week. Then I had what felt like a a being stabbed with a knife in the back feeling I remember vomiting and then waking up staring at the ceiling in A&E
    Kidney stone had blocked my urethra over the week and caused a raging infection. The stone was removed the next day.
    And put on Iv antibiotics for a week.

Secon bout wasn’t as bad but I did vomit with the pain of it, pissed blood for 4 days as it ripped the urethra on the way out. And did require having a instrument inserted up my sausage to remove the remains.

jimw
    Free Member

Not worst in terms of pain, but the thing that made me most miserable was getting glandular fever really badly in my late 30’s. No energy, associated low mood and the impression I Would never be able to do all the things I enjoyed again- sailing, hill walking, cycling etc.

I was unfortunate to be one of the few with this illness that developed similar affter effects to that of chronic fatigue syndrome

Ended up taking a whole year off work to recover. Completely cleaned me out financially, but I am so glad I did.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Another Guillain Barre Syndrome, like Bregante and Epicyclo. This time five years ago I was about one week into
    A five week stint on a ventilator, followed by having to learn how to do everything again, walk, talk, move any part of my body.

It was a right laugh!

iainc

Prostate Cancer. Not much physically, but mentally horrid. 4 weeks to go to first anniversary of bye bye prostate !

grum
    Free Member

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (whatever that actually is). Initial thing was a nasty flu type virus that never really went away – took about 5 years to recover (and still not completely gone). First year or two was really grim.

epicyclo

BTW I’ve had kidney stones. They were awful, a level worse than toothache, and they had me crawling along the floor, but nowhere near the level of pain I had as Guillain-Barre destroyed parts of my nervous system.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘What physical ailment has made you feel the most miserable?’ is closed to new replies.