Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • what moped for a teenager?
  • sadexpunk

boy 2 looks like he may have got himself an apprenticeship 5 miles away. unfortunately dads advice to pushbike it is met with horror and disgust.

he’s set on a ped, so thats probably whatll happen, but engines arent my thing so i cant help him here.

whats the likely costs involved for the ped, clothing, cbt, insurance, tax etc…..
    and what sort of ped should we be looking out for?

thanks a lot

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Firstly, don’t buy a cheap Chinese bike. It’ll fall apart and be worthless very quickly. If your budget is limited, get a used Jap or Italian one instead. In fact I’d go used anyway.

Clothing – Plenty of good kit available at decent prices but FIT IS KING. Go to J&S or Infinity or similar. Decent jacket, lid and gloves should be £200-£300. Boots with ankle protection are advisable too but Doc Martens will be fine to start.
    CBT £100+
    Tax is buttons, fuel costs even less.
    Insurance is variable and won’t be cheap but it’ll be less than for a car
    Personally he’d be better off with something with gears as if he wants to progress he’ll need to know how to use them, but a scoot will have better weather protection…..
    If he’s 17 then go straight to a 125 too.

sadexpunk

thanks PP.

yep, itll be a used something or other, we dont have the pennies for new.

ill mention the gears thing, see what he thinks. hes 18 at present, so youd go for a 125 yep? is that a 125 step through ped or a ‘motorbike lookalike’ ped?
    why do you advise 125 over a put-put-put pootlemobile? and would he still be able to get on the road with a 125 after just a cbt or would he need a test?

cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deejayen
    Free Member

I’m not up on the current license and training legislation.

I started riding my Mum’s automatic scooter when I was 16. It was quite ‘beginner friendly’, and was probably good experience without being too fast, even though it wasn’t ‘cool’. I learnt that decent gear is a must – even at 30mph and with scooter leg shields it was perishing cold!

My next bike was a 125, and it was quite a different beast. It took me a while to adapt to gears while riding in traffic. I’m not sure what current bikes are like, but a 125 can be really fast, and the power delivery on the more highly tuned 2-strokes can be a bit awkward to control (it all happens when the engine comes into its power band)!

For commuting I think something like the old-style Honda C90 might be a good choice. They might even be trendy nowadays! They’re supposed to be very economical and reliable, and the big wheels make them more stable than the tiny scooters. (A quick web search shows the Vision and SH125 models, for example).

rwamartin
    Free Member

Definitely a 125. A 50cc is limited to 28mph which makes the rider nothing more than a hazard. CBT is a requirement regardless. Suzuki Van Van, Yamaha YBR. These will hold their value pretty well and will allow him to go further afield until he can afford a car.

Hopefully an electrical apprenticeship. Get them downlighters sorted!

Rich.

br
    Free Member

+1 for a 125, but I’d go for a scooter, and discount one of the better Chinese ones as new they can be had for just over £1000. But find a local dealer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ill mention the gears thing, see what he thinks. hes 18 at present, so youd go for a 125 yep? is that a 125 step through ped or a ‘motorbike lookalike’ ped?

Either, both are available.

why do you advise 125 over a put-put-put pootlemobile? and would he still be able to get on the road with a 125 after just a cbt or would he need a test?

It’ll take longer for the novelty to wear off, and it’ll be far easier to keep up with the flow of traffic. Also, it’ll be a 4-stroke so cleaner and more reliable, and there’s a bigger choice available.
    125cc is available after a CBT, yes.

He could get something far nicer too, Honda XL125 springs to mind

Suzuki Van Van, Yamaha YBR

Yep, 2 more nicely made and decent 125s. The Van Van has been around for a while and has attracted quite a cult following, a quick look reveals a nice used one is £1000-£1500 and it’ll be virtually depreciation proof if looked after

sadexpunk

Hopefully an electrical apprenticeship. Get them downlighters sorted!

haha, no its painting and decorating. and the lights are my next job 🙂
    just been on holiday and had the bathroom done, so the lights have taken a back seat, but we’ve holes in the ceiling now so i wont get away with that for long 🙂

He could get something far nicer too, Honda XL125 springs to mind

had a quick autotrader look at those but toooo much at present. we’re definitely looking sub £1000.

thanks

mattyfez

Anything that doesn’t sound like a chainsaw in need of a service, there’s a few round my way that sound like that, and the noise they make is infuriating.

redstripe
    Free Member

Honda 125 for reliability, the trailies hold their price and popular with yoof. Uncool bigger wheel scooters like the sh125 or innova can be had cheap, more stable, really economical and the one one of my kids had was pretty nippy too. 125 much better, 50’s are pretty much a hazard in normal traffic making people take risks trying to get past them.

sadexpunk

had a look at suzuki van vans on gumtree and saw this one. looks lovely and probably what id buy meself but out of price range really.

then i saw this one that says its same as a van van but a lot newer and cheaper. so im guessing its not the same at all?

havent even spoken to the boy yet as our paths havent crossed at home, but interested in opinions on these please. i really do like that little van van tho, its almost tempting to go for a mid-life crisis, get some hells angels leathers and go roaring down the road on one with all the pretty laydeez swooning when they see me.

Pigface
    Free Member

Something like a C70 or C90 would be ideal but very hard to find for that money.

Italjet Dragster would be my choice but I don’t think you have any chance of finding one of those 😆

iolo
    Free Member

The van van copy is Chinese. It will break down. Often. The van van you linked seems a good price and will be very dependable.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Buy something from a brand you’ve heard of more than once.

I have a Honda MSX125 for popping to the shops on and its excellent. sipps fuel, will do 70mph on the motorway and is a whole heap of fun. If I had to commute on something, I think i’d take the bus – Commuting by motorcycle is miserable unless its sunny.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Skyteam are a chinese replica of the Van Van. It may be a good deal but the key will be whether there is readily accessible parts or dealer network to help should there be a problem. It might be that Suzuki parts work but there’s a good chance that the engine, though similar, will not be exactly identical and motorbike shops may shrug their shoulders and say “tough” if you want a spare bit.
    The Van Van will hold it’s value if looked after. They’ve got a bit of a cult following. Buy one, do your CBT, lend it to your son then ride it when he’s progressed to a slammed Saxo in 12 months.

yunki
    Free Member

following on from the Lambretta thread

kayla1
    Free Member

A geared 125 would be most fun but a twist and go 125 scooter would be most practical.

Van Vans and TW125s are really good fun but they attract thieving pikey scumbags because they have vague off-road ability and are, therefore, ‘crossers’ to these sort of people. I had a TW125, it was fun. I would have another one.

Four stroke for dull, monotonous, start-on-the-button reliabilty and 60mph top speeds or buy a two stroke for 70mph+, lovely smell and that will-it-start-and/or-get-me-there-without-seizing adrenaline rush 😆 Two strokes are easier to work on but require more maintenance (this is not the same as being unreliable- they only become unreliable if you don’t look after them properly).

edit- I might have an Aprilia Tuono 125 for sale at the end of the month…

sobriety
    Free Member

I had use of an XL125 as my first bike, it was slow, 60-65mph with the throttle pinned to the stop in 5th and your eyeballs vibrating out of your head.

It was pretty much unkillable though, and still starts up ok, despite being abandonded in the back of my parents garage.

I’d probably go with a Honda cbf/Yamaha ybr as a commuter now, but then I’m old and sensible.

That belmbelm, sorry, vanvan, looks like a sensible option too, bear in mind that anything cheap will be older, and will most likely have had lots of 17 year old owners, most of which will not have maintained it, either through lack of funds or lack of care. As others have said, I’d steer clear of two strokes, they’re fun to have as a toy, but can be a right pain if you need it every day.

For example, I’ve just picked up a Pegaso 125 for my dad, as he liked the engine on my RS125, but not the riding position. It was cheap, but we’ve spent up to the cost of a sorted one sorting it out: engine rebuild, every single bearing in the bike, new seals, new brake discs, brake bleed, new tyres (probably), fortunatley we’re both pretty handy with the spanners, so we’ve not had to pay a garage for the labour.

From those ads it looks like your in Notts, if he gets one and wants to learn to work on it, I’d be happy to lend him a space in my garage and offer terrible advice.

sadexpunk

thanks for the skyteam advice, ill stay clear.

just had a word with him and surprisingly he seems ahead of the game, as when i suggested some of your options it was a case of “yeah just been looking at some van vans, i need a 125 really rather than a 50. cool looking arent they” 😯

im in lincs btw, just that the nearest options for ads seemed to be notts, havent seen anything in lincs. thanks for your offer mate 🙂

ill have a look at some of those other options, TW’s, XL’s, theyre all just letters to me! 😆

thanks a lot

[EDIT]

I might have an Aprilia Tuono 125 for sale at the end of the month…

if youre anywhere near lincs i may be interested?

kayla1
    Free Member

We live in County Durham but have bus, will travel. I haven’t collected it yet though, I was going to check it over and stick an MOT on it and use it for skids and wheelies down the chippy 😆

Dibbs
    Free Member

Raleigh Wisp?

sadexpunk

struggling for anything affordable and local right now. lads just told me to look at this facebook selling site at a yellow aprillia SR50, MOT september, ‘few scratches and stains’, 21,000 miles, “only had 10 keepers, well looked after”, 97 P reg, oil and plug changed 2 months ago.

im no expert but im thinking this may be too old, too many owners and not enough known about it. but….. its £400 and that may be all he can expect if hes happy to pay that money and thats the sort of thing his mates have too?
    personally id prefer to get something a bit dearer and nearer (in case of probs, its about 30 miles away) for him but dont want to keep turning things down if theyre decent for the money. i think we both think hed be better off with a 125, and probably one of the ones youve mentioned ^^^^ so its probs best holding out for something better you think? just dont want him thinking im pooh-poohing anything he suggests.

thoughts please?

thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not cool, but there must be a CG125 near you? They’re common as muck, and spawned all the Chinese replicas for very good reason.

The engines last forever as long as you change the oil and spark plug once a year (and TBH I suspect they’d go a log way without!). Just had a look on ebay and there’s some ’08 models at dealers for £1295, I sold a 3 yr old one for less than that 10 years ago, so they really don’t depreciate and as long as he doesn’t crash it then it should be impossible to lose money on a decent privately bought one.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Dave,
    You just can’t be certain about any vehicle, but my gut feel is that it will be a cheap initial outlay but have the potential for being a money pit to keep reliable. Our apprentice had a step through moped (but admittedly a 20 mile trip each way to get to work). It just wasn’t up to dealing with the amount of use it got and was very unreliable. In the end he went for a 50cc moped with gears (that he got derestricted despite being only 16) and this was better but still not ideal.
    I don’t know what type of roads he’ll be commuting on but with a 28mph speed limiter I’d be really concerned about his safety if there is faster moving traffic around that he can’t keep up with.
    Step through mopeds are ideal for a couple of miles into town but as a regular, reliable commute I’d be less enthusiastic.
    Obviously finance is an issue but I’d still think you’d be better off looking to find a good 125 around the £1000 mark which will hopefully more reliable, cheaper to run in the long term and have a resale value in 12 months time which will be close to what you paid for it.
    Rich.

sobriety
    Free Member

struggling for anything affordable and local right now. lads just told me to look at this facebook selling site at a yellow aprillia SR50,

That looks like a hound, and they always look better in photos. I’d avoid it.

Everything about that ad screams ‘knackered’ to me, it’s only got one mirror, so has been dropped, and there’s no photo of that side, so what’s he hiding?

It’s been resprayed, and it looks bad in the photo, which makes me wonder if the engine (it’s a two stroke) has been at least fed half decent oil.

oil and plug changed 2 months ago.

Which will have cost about £10, so means absolutely nothing.

Also, if you do go and look, make sure it sounds nothing like this:

Which is the sound of a 2t engine about to lunch itself fairly spectacularly.

sadexpunk

thanks a lot, and thats pretty sound advice rich, thanks.

fair few bikes to look out for there, can i ask what the differences in ‘all of those random letters’ are in real terms please?

f’rinstance, from suzuki theres just the van van, simple, easy, nice bike 🙂

same with aprilia, theres the tuono.

move onto yamaha and we have two choices ^^^, a YBR and a TW125. whats the difference between them?

but honda?? XL125, SH125, MSX125, CG125, CBF125, plus the two C70 and C90s. wtf?? 😀

s’all just gobbledegook to me. if anyone can simplify it id be grateful.

cheers

EDIT:

Also, if you do go and look, make sure it sounds nothing like this:

nope, i come on here for advice, ill take it. shant be going to look at it….
    thanks

rwamartin
    Free Member

All 125s are not equal. There are 2 strokes, 4 strokes, one’s that are learner legal and ones that aren’t (ie out and out trail bikes). The designations are not easy to decode and you’d need to google each to try and interpret what is what.
    I’ll try and do a summary of the various options you’ve got available that would suit your son so you can quickly weed out those that are not suitable.
    Back in an hour or so….
    Rich.

sadexpunk

ah ok, thanks rich. so is a trail bike an off-road bike then? and he cant ride one at 17 without a proper test? why not?

i dont ‘do’ engines, but im getting the impression that 4 strokes will be better than 2, so i spose i dont need to know much else, a 4 stroke 125 is where we’ll keep looking.

thanks a lot mate.

5thElefant
    Free Member

ah ok, thanks rich. so is a trail bike an off-road bike then? and he cant ride one at 17 without a proper test? why not?

Yeah he can. Unless it’s a proper competition machine.

sobriety
    Free Member

As a general rule, 50cc will be totally legal at 17 on l plates, 4 or 2 stroke.

125 two strokes most likely won’t be as they pretty much all have been de-restricted by now (they’re not really made anymore) whether or not this bothers hm/you is another issue. Fwiw I’m on L-plates and my 2 stroke isn’t restricted, but then I’m old and sensible now. It’ll take a pretty clued up policeman to catch you.

125 four strokes will be fine as well.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Still trying to decode bike designations but a quick diversion into engines/entitlements which might help clarify your thoughts. I’m summarizing so may not be fully comprehensive but you’ll get the gist of it.

ENGINES
    2 strokes are generally more powerful but less reliable. Rev. higher than a 4 stroke. Requires a petrol/oil mix to provide lubrication either by mixing at fill up time or via a dedicated oil reservoir. If the reservoir isn’t kept topped up or the mix correct the engine can seize.

You tend to see 2 strokes on older or performance trail bikes. Some mopeds too. Your requirement is best suited to a 4 stroke engine.

Air/Water cooled.
    Engines can be cooled by air or by water in a radiator. Air cooled engines are simpler as there is no topping up/leakage to worry about. Maybe less resilient to sitting in hot conditions.
    Your requirement is best suited to an air cooled engine.

Single/twin cylinder
    twin/multi cylinder engines are probably smoother and more powerful but more complex.
    Your requirement is best suited to a single cylinder engine.

ENTITLEMENTS
    A “moped” is defined as being <50cc and limited to 28mph. You can ride a moped unaccompanied at 16 on L plates having done a CBT. (I’ll avoid “grandfather rights at this stage as it’s not relevant). CBT needs to be renewed every 2 years if you haven’t done your test in that time.

A learner motorcycle is a motorcycle of <125cc and around 12bhp.
    You can ride a learner motorcycle unaccompanied from age 17 on L plates having done a CBT.CBT time limit applies here too. Note that a 50cc moped that has been derestricted ie can do more than 28mph is no longer a moped and requires the rider to be 17 years old to ride it.

There are other classifications for bigger bikes but they are not relevant here.

Now, the fact that a bike is <125cc doesn’t make it a learner motorcycle. If it’s more than 12bhp which is very likely with a 2 stroke or it’s been “breathed on” to get more power means a full licence is required to ride it and L plates can’t be used.

The bike also needs to be road legal. ie it has a V5, is registered, an MOT where required etc. Note that a bike can be road legal but not have lights, making it only legal during the day and useless for a night commute.

So, your son can ride a bike up to 125cc and 12bhp once he’s done his CBT. The optimum bike (in my opinion) would be a single cylinder air cooled 4 stroke. This bike will need to be registered and be road legal with lights etc.

Hopefully this will clarify some stuff for you. I’ll be back later with some designations to look for/avoid.

Rich.

sadexpunk

blimey, youre spending time on this mate, really appreciate it! very informative.

cant thank you enough rich, cheers.

Northwind

SPEEDFIGHT! Not that they’re especially great, it’s just that they’re the most teenager thing ever made.

control67
    Free Member

Full power Aprilia RS125 or Cagiva Mito and sod the 12hp limit and any semblance of reliability. Proper 2 stroke power, sound and smell for the win, you’ll be the coolest dad ever.

Serious answer, CG125, not cool, not fast but bulletproof and reliable. Mine was knocking on the door of two decades old when it got killed by a myopic securicor driver.

dadandlad
    Free Member

I have a Vespa ET4 125 4 stroke with 10,000 miles on the clock for sale
    It has just had a full strip down respray and rebuild and is in as new condition
    Engine fully serviced with new oil and filter
    Side and centre stand powder coated
    Rear carrier powder coated
    New rear brake cable
    New headset bearings
    Both keys and code card
    Workshop manual
    12 months MOT
    £750

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A Honda CBF125 (or it’s replacement, the CB125F) would get my vote. You should be able to find a very good example for circa £1K (CB125F would be more, though).

You could keep it a couple of years and probably lose very little.

They consistently top the charts of best 125s and they offer a great experience with bullet proof reliability.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/october/mcn-awards-2015-best-125/

sadexpunk

thanks dadandlad, looks lovely that, dont know if hed want a vespa but ill put it to him. we’ve got our eye on a localish vanvan at the moment tho, but we’ll certainly consider it.

and thanks for the CBF125 recommendation GQ, thats another we’d consider.

sadexpunk

thanks for all your advice, just bought him a black van van for £900.

cheers 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

Nice 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘what moped for a teenager?’ is closed to new replies.