Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • What makes us British?
  • koldun
    Free Member

Lots of immigration over a lot of years.

Most of us are immigrants, just a generation or two removed.

Many people are in denial of that however 😉 See ‘casual racism’ above.

No that’s just the English

I’m not so sure about that, many people outside the UK don’t care/know that it’s made of smaller countries, so they simply dislike the British. Deservedly.

zippykona

Going to **** ikea for a family day out.

701arvn
    Free Member

The appalling food, a cuisine with few redeeming features, with the exception of the bacon sandwich.

kimbers

brexit britain

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Drinking huge volumes of weak beer.

Nobby

Apathy.

Drac

Having a Queen that demonstrates that we never lost our sovereignty.

Caher

Overstaying your welcome in some countries.

toemul
    Free Member

Being outraged on behalf of others about something that isn’t really as bigger problem as media coverage suggests.

chewkw
    Free Member

The class system from the outsider’s perspective.

The Royalties – The tourist attraction.
    The Upper Class – The niche ones with inherited wealth.
    The Middle class – The educated snobbish ones good and bad.
    The Working class – The ones that just keep worrying …
    The feral class – The ones that spoil it all for the rest.

🤔

choppersquad
    Free Member

Driving to the beach in four hours of traffic to sit in the car park and have as picnic.

Stoner
    Free Member

According to the King of Brobdingnag: “I cannot but conclude the bulk of your natives to be the most pernicious race of little odious vermin that nature ever suffered to crawl upon the surface of the earth”.

Covers it.

epicyclo

Stoner

According to the King of Brobdingnag:…

Spoken like a true Irishman. 🙂

But you’re not really odious vermin, he was just seeing the Etonians…

funkmasterp

Living on the island with the mild climate just off the coast of France and an utterly embarrassing inability to deal with snow or sun.

slowoldman

Impossible to define since Brits have nothing in common with each other. I mean, you lot down south don’t even put gravy on your chips.

senorj

We have the best biscuits, cakes and pies in the world plus the tendency to binge drink alcohol.

blokeuptheroad

Maybe some are tongue in cheek but some of the answers on this thread make me a bit sad. Sad that so many people who live on these islands seem to hate them and their fellow inhabitants so much. I’m no tub thumping nationalist, but as unfashionable as it may be, I think Britain or any one of the countries within it are great places to live. Not perfect, going though a divisive period in our history sure, but you are still pretty lucky in life’s lottery IMHO to live here. I totally get why the Aussies call us whingeing poms.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The faux middle class/sneering working class snobs. Unfortunately the barriers to entry are much lower than they used to be!

Good old fashioned service.

Ooooo how things have changed! They all speak English anyway don’t they!

epicyclo

blokeupthe road

…I totally get why the Aussies call us whingeing poms.

They usually reserve that for the folk who live in the part of the mainland called Britain, not the whole island.

And even then it’s not aimed universally but at those who continually complain Oz isn’t like “home” – probably the same subset we call gammons. 🙂

(Based on 30 years living in Oz)

tjagain

Apparently knowing the answers to these questions – have a go. 75% needed or its out you go.
    https://lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk/british-citizenship-test-4/

The other way is to be of ” good anglo saxon stock” ie descended from Danes or Germans.

taxi25
    Free Member

79.17% So I get to stay, but only just. I’d guess unless they swotted up for it the majority would fail the test. Unless it’s only me who doesn’t know as much as the thought 😳😳

StuE
    Free Member

An interesting series of videos that seem to sum up present day Britain https://youtu.be/ZwbYjgL0qdA

mariner
    Free Member

Not being English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh.

gordimhor

Bugger it passed the test ☺️
    However I did notice that according to Q6 The National Trust has been given the role of protecting coastline, important buildings etc for the whole UK.
    This will come as news to NTS and others.

joshvegas
    Free Member

1966 world cup.

When britain won it?

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

I like the sweeping statements that no body likes the British, specifically English. Highly doubt that is true at all. The people I hear on here disliking us, tend to be one of us.

tjagain

You get a much nicer reaction from people in mainland europe if you say you are” from Scotland” rather than “english”

taxi25
    Free Member

I like the sweeping statements that no body likes the British, specifically English. Highly doubt that is true at all. The people I hear on here disliking us, tend to be one of us.

Never experienced general dislike for British people on my travels. Obviously the actions of a few aren’t welcomed, but I remember English football fans fighting in Marseille one world cup or something. It was reported that in some quarters the Marseillais showed appreciation for the English “fighting spirit”. Chapeau les Rosbifs.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Ah, but is the reaction negative? And historically things like football hooliganism of old would not have given us a good rep. Whenever I am in Europe, never had any negative reactions or receptions. But I dont look like a hooligan I think.

poah
    Free Member

The class system from the outsider’s perspective.

The Royalties – The tourist attraction.
    The Upper Class – The niche ones with inherited wealth.
    The Middle class – The educated snobbish ones good and bad.
    The Working class – The ones that just keep worrying …
    The feral class – The ones that spoil it all for the rest.

I don’t fall into any of those catagories 🙁

funkmasterp

Failed the test! Woo Hoo! Where do I get deported to? It seemed to be 90% a history test, which I have little interest in. Fail to see what bearing it has on being a British Citizen. When did we last fight the French? Who gives a ****?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You get a much nicer reaction from people in mainland europe if you say you are” from Scotland” rather than “english”

Oh do you now.

Edukator
    Free Member

Jelly and blancmange

I passed the test, but by a much narrower margin than the German one Alpin posted. The question about an American who lived much of his live in Switzerland, Chaplin, seemed a little out of place and I’ve never seen any ironage coins so how the hell would I know what’s on them, as for the status of the Isle of Mann – it’s a tax haven!

100% les yeux fermés on the French one.

https://www.gisti.org/IMG/pdf/naturalisation_test-culture-generale_1-7-2012.pdf

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

This:

With a sprinkle of this:

tjagain

NOt knowing how to use a bidet?

longdog
    Free Member

A full cooked breakfast? Certainly English and Scottish varieties (not sure about Wales or Northern Ireland), but is a full cooked breakfast a generally British thing? Brown sauce must be?

As someone else said; Detectorists!

bikebouy
    Free Member

bensales
    Free Member

It’s another great British trait. The ability to always want to put down the successful.

mogrim

No you don’t, at least not in Spain IME.

Can’t think of any one standout feature that makes the British, British. Other than the same passport, and even that’s a source of division these days.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What makes us British?’ is closed to new replies.