Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What lightweight wheelset?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Podium rims are very light, go tubeless really easily and surprisingly tough. I’ve really tested mine over the last 2-3 years and not a single problem.
    ZTR hubs seem to be reliable too, not the lightest but a good halfway house.

Massive weight difference between the 3 sets you mention.
    1600-1700g for the Superstar sets.
    <1300g for the Podium/ZTR set.

backinireland
    Free Member

Balancing weight/cost here……

Big price difference too, 200 odd quid for the heavier ones but really want the lighter ones at over 400!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 sets of nice used wheels for sale that are only a few frames heavier than the Superstar ones including rim tape.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dt-swiss-wheels-doublebash-chainset-stems-bars-etc-lots-of-bitsnbobs

Rorschach
    Free Member

I would’nt expect a stans rimmed/hubbed wheelset to last 6 years and tbh stans hubs are pretty ordinary for the money.
    American classic mtb race 26 (1321g) if you can find them?

maxtorque

I see a LOT of racers on those SLR’s. But you do pay for the privilege…………….

Johnbot
    Free Member

Recently got myself a set of sun ringle charger pros 1850g iirc, £300 odd. No issues with them and a massive upgrade from my old set transforms the bike

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Recently got myself a set of sun ringle charger pros 1850g iirc

the title thread is “lightweight wheelset” 🙄 Most Hope Pro2 wheels weigh around that. And cost less.

backinireland
    Free Member

Crossmaxes were going ok after 6 years, never been serviced but I smashed into a rock and broke a chunk off the rear hub!

Scapegoat

Hope Hoops Pro2 evo with Stans Crest weigh around 1400g.

Wiggle prices are £299 for a pair.

Scapegoat

Wiggle prices are £299 for a pair.

titusrider
    Free Member

Im running Chris kings with Crests and they come in about 1500g with good spokes and alloy nips on the front. I run them as a more all mountain set up though

warpcow
    Free Member

More towards 1600g, depending on adapters and if we’re talking standard Pro 2 Evos.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No they don’t.

traildog
    Free Member

Never saw the point in crossmax and the price you pay for them. But having rode a pair, I was happy to payout for them. I’ve not tried SLRs but I would certainly consider them.

DT78
    Free Member

My current xc wheelset, handmade, A2Z hubs, stans olympics, alloy nipples dt swiss rev spokes. Very lightweight and been impressively reliable, only snapped a couple of spokes with a stick through the rear wheel on a night ride.

Also have superstar hubs on crests. The trizoid hub has started to make interesting sounds after a year of very light use for the occasional trail centre visit.

cuberider
    Free Member

I have a pair of Hope Hoops Pro3 SP-XC3. Very light and taught wheel set but they have a weight limit.

Have had some reliability issues with them.

Hope sorted them out with no hassles.

Scapegoat

mtbmatt – Member
    No they don’t.

My bad. I shall stand in the corner.

bland

A friend has some SLR’s and they make a racket, the spokes twang constantly. Would drive me mad however he likes it.

Sounds like he has spokey dokeys on or whatever them things you had a s a kid were called

orangeboy
    Free Member

A2z hubs with stans mmx rims
    Light and not to much money for the weight

Hubs seem ok for a generic Far East offering and should last as long as the mmx rims will

Nobby

American classic mtb race 26 (1321g) if you can find them?

Or the MTB 26 Tubeless which are only 100g more.

stufive
    Free Member

If stans crest Stock wheels are 1420g with stock hubs, what would the weight be with hope 2 evo’s ?
    http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-26-Stock-Wheelset-P450C131.aspx

glacier79
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested, my Chris King 15mm front/12mm bolt through rear hubs on Stans arch ex’s came in at 1720g. Accidently backed my car over the front wheel the other week, was fine after 5 minutes with a spoke key :-S

vdubber67
    Free Member

American Classics on Crests.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.