Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What large volume 29er tyre for rigid fork use?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Got a bone shaker on the way, it comes with conti x-king 2.2’s was thinking of something a bit chunkier up front, any recommendations from experience? also, should i run it tubeless or is that just asking for problems?

thanks in advance

JB

tazzymtb

what forks? if you can fit it a surly knard 29×3 on a velocity P35 or wider kicks the very arse of Beelzebub. (will fit most rigid normal front forks, the older swift forks and the old gt peace don’t play though)

will tubeless and can be run down to low pressures for fat bike like rock and root swallowing stylee without the heft.

failing that a 2.35 hans dampf is great.

Cheezpleez

Chunky monkey for mucho cheapness and grip. Not v light but who cares

epo-aholic
    Free Member

‘normal’ forks…… i’d say a 2.4 would deffo be fine, maybe a 2.5 but no way would a 3incher fit 😯

good call on the CM

cheers guys

takisawa2

2.4 Ralph here, in a Niner steel fork, tons of room. Fork is identical to a Swift rigid also.

Charliethebikemonger posted a pic a few months ago, of a Knard on the Surly (Rabbit Hole??) rim, sitting nicely in the aforementioned Niner steel fork.

tazzymtb

3 incher fits in niner carbons, niner steel forks, fox boingers, salsa cromotos, white bros carbons, exotic carbons in fat you’d be surprised what you can get it into . 120TPI 29×3 is the same sort of weight as CM, god they are draggy. Stick like poo to a blanket though.

epicyclo

I use Ralphs 2.4s too, but for a much better ride, stick on a fat front, ie Surly fatbike fork and wheel.

Nothing beats 4″ of comfort apart from 4.7″. 🙂

ajantom

+1 for the Knards.
    About to go out on my Kampus, the grip on them things is bloody marvellous 🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

I run a 2.4 Ralph up front and it seems to be a pretty good all round compromise.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Currently trying out Chunky Monkeys on my Swift. Really like the extra squash and grip over my 2.25 Ralphs, and at £35 a pair at the mo they’re a winner.

They went up tubeless no bother too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What large volume 29er tyre for rigid fork use?’ is closed to new replies.