Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What jackets are you using in the rain?
  • stevenc
    Free Member

As the title says

binners

Sombrio softshell. Stay dry(ish) without sweating to death. With the added bonus of not looking like an utter ****! 😀

eyerideit
    Free Member

This but it’s very warm and doesn’t have much ventalation. Great for cold/windy days but not really an all season jacket.

Very waterproof though.

CraigW
    Free Member

Montane Velocity DT 2.0. It is waterproof, lightweight and packs small. Its not especially breathable / ventilated, so best to only wear it when its actually raining or cold.

tlr

Haglofs Endo. Seems to work very well.

nedrapier

BSST

crazy-legs

Endura Stealth – warm and waterproof softshell but still with great venting. Waterproof zips and fully zipped pockets too.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

When it’s continuous rain in winter I use a paramo quito and a base layer underneath. For the rest of the time I just use a paramo fuera windproof. Both do me proud in the respective weather conditions.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Howies Long Way Home – very reflective too, but not in a christmas tree type way, so looks ok. Wouldnt have bought it at its full price though.

Before that, Gore pac-lite gortex, really light and breathable.

Personally I’d stay away from softshell stuff in any heavy rain.

smokey_jo

Tenn Rapide Bargain at £28! and doesn’t sweat up too much. The medium is a generous medium, I can fit a base and mid layer comfortably under one. Zips are good and it’s been washed quite a few times now and is still beading water very well.

njee20
    Free Member

Personally I’d stay away from softshell stuff in any heavy rain

Unless it’s raining very heavily and it’s really cold I always wear a softshell, either Assos 851 or Gore one of some sort. Find I just end up dripping sweat in a proper waterproof. Worn my Gore Alp-X off the bike far more than on, didn’t use it at all this winter, and only once last year.

soundninjauk

Howies Extra Miler. It’s not the most waterproof thing on the face of the planet once the rain gears up but it’s great for everything else.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Personally I’d stay away from softshell stuff in any heavy rain

maybe I should have added “if you want to keep the rain off you”. Mine gets wet and heavy in any signifcant rain (it’s a good Arcteryx one) but I get your point.

binners

Unless it’s raining very heavily and it’s really cold I always wear a softshell

Couldn’t agree more. I have a couple of weights – Sombrio for normal or Race Face for effing cold! I HATE ‘proper’ watreproofs. You can spend an absolute fortune on apparently ‘breathable ones, but they’re all just boil in the bag in the end

A softshell will get slightly soggy if its properly lashing down, but you don’t really ever get cold. And don’t end up sweating like John Leslie

VanMan
    Free Member

Rab Neutrino, event fabric so seems to work for me, only boil in goretex for some reason.

nedrapier

Agreed with much of that ^. Really heavy rain for a short time = hardshell. rain for a long time = merino and softshell/vapour rise. soggy but warm. somehting with pile that wicks.

Reminds me: I’ve got and old (10 years?) Arc’t. “rho” fleece which is silly warm, but more amazingly, can be wringing wet, but still warm and won’t feel clammy next to the skin.

There’s the patagonia R1 pullover, which is legendary for similar reasons.

and if it’s warm and wet, whatever you like with a dry whatever you like in a placcy bag in a rucksack for the other end.

pinches
    Free Member

Gore path for commuting

Gore oxygen GT for proper riding in

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t bother with them either
    As long as I have a wind-proof and can stay warm, I’m happy

stonster
    Free Member

+1 for the Gore Path. Absolutely brilliant, light and not too sweaty. Not too cheap though, about £120

matt_outandabout

Montane Velocity DT 2.0. It is waterproof, lightweight and packs small. Its not especially breathable / ventilated, so best to only wear it when its actually raining or cold.

This, or Montane soft shell or Patagonia insulated jacket depending on how wet/cold it is. And the Velocity is ace for the money – great cut, simple, works.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Gore Oxygen when pouring down. Light drizzle & cold – Phantom II. Just bought an Alp X Zip off for summer.

jam-bo

I don’t go out in the rain.

stoney
    Free Member

I use the Endura Flyte, mainly for the MTB, but its really good for when its really cold/windy/wet, although you will get wet eventually it does keep the cold out.

When the weather is not too cold i have the Endura Equip. light, pocket packable and waterproof enough to cope. the green one is really visable as well. 😉

P20

Altura Attack X.Heavier than a paclite, but damn effective, breathable, really comfortable, never gets too hot.

nick3216
    Free Member

Endura Stealth

nick1962
    Free Member

Not that breathable but far tastier than an Endura Stealth

_tom_
    Free Member

Salomon fast 3 jacket for me, comfy dry and warm without being sweaty.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What jackets are you using in the rain?’ is closed to new replies.