Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • What is the right temp to set the central heating during the winter months?
  • postierich
    Free Member

After a hike of £50 per month for our heating need to set the temp on the CH so we do not use as much, We have a log burner which kicks out the heat but need a ambient temp for the rest of the house.
    So what is a normal temp for the winter months so the rest of the family do not moan 😕

neilthewheel

One degree lower, whatever it is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1deg is about 10% more/less energy.

I stuck mine on at 18 which is warm enough as long as you’re wearing long sleves and slippers.

There is absolutely no truth in the idea that having it on all day is more efficient than having it on for a couple of hours in the morning/evening.

stumpy01

A lot depends on where the thermostat is situated. Just lower it by a degree every few days until someone whinges that it’s to cold.

weeksy

about 6 logs and a pile of coal…

I’m here in my undies and bloody roasting.

brakes
    Free Member

my house is cold even when the thermostat is on 25

grievoustim
    Free Member

18 works for me

nealglover
    Free Member

There is absolutely no truth in the idea that having it on all day is more efficient than having it on for a couple of hours in the morning/evening.

While that may be true for the “average” house, There are lots of factors involved in this, building construction, insulation, air tightness, ventilation, thermal mass, heating type etc.

In some houses, turning on the heating for a couple of hours in the evening would make virtually no difference at all to the room temperature. In others the whole house would come to the desired temperature in half an hour.

postierich
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon been trying to tell her that for years but falls on death ears!

rkk01
    Free Member

There is absolutely no truth in the idea that having it on all day is more efficient than having it on for a couple of hours in the morning/evening

Really not sure what to think on this one…

I guess “efficient” can be separately defined in terms of “cost efficiency” and “heating efficiency”.

For our house, a couple of hrs am and pm, and the heating never really warms the fabric of the building – the boiler is going full chat for 4-5 hours and not really making a lot of difference…

… it then goes off and the air rapidly cools down again

Whereas full-time on a lower thermostat setting provides a stable and comfortable settting

rocketman
    Free Member

17 this year. It’s kind of cool-ish but not exactly uncomfortable

Having said that I went round a mate’s house the other night his mrs has the temperature set to a Summer’s Day On Venus and the blast of heat when he opened the front door nearly took my eyebrows off

rocketman
    Free Member

My retired FIL who has plenty of time to thoroughly investigate and test things like this has assured me in no uncertain terms that his extensive research has revealed that putting the heating on when required is far more economical.

richc
    Free Member

14.5, but that’s because I have a wood pellet boiler and it doesn’t seem to work brilliantly ATM.

Gunz
    Free Member

Might be a silly question but isn’t setting the thermostat to 18 in the Winter achieving exactly the same temperature as setting it to 18 in the Summer.

footflaps

Lift toilet seat, is water frozen?

yes – turn thermostat up 1 degree
    no – turn thermostat down 1 degree

footflaps

Might be a silly question but isn’t setting the thermostat to 18 in the Winter achieving exactly the same temperature as setting it to 18 in the Summer.

In mid summer 18 would seem very cool, but in winter 18 seems much warmer. It’s relative to expectations / daytime out door temp etc.

alfabus
    Free Member

my thermostat is set to have the house at 18 degrees in the evenings, 12 degrees overnight and during weekdays and 16 degrees during the weekend days. If we go away, I tell it, and it keeps the house about 8 degrees.

I let it decide when the heating will be on because IT IS A THERMOSTAT, THAT IS IT’S JOB!

I never understand why people discuss when they’ve turned their heating on for winter. My heating controls itself, that is why I have a thermostat!

Dave

Junkyard
    Free Member

when its 5 degres in the house it comes on and warms it to 11 degrees

getting closer as it was 6.5 when i got up today

If i am cold I wear more clothes

I do own a house coat mind but i pay less than £300 for gas per annum and most of that will be cooking and hot water I assume

EDIT: I do have a fire in the living room so one room is not cold

weeksy

You boys may as well just sleep outside in a tent for all the use your heating is 🙂

I’d rather pay more and be toasite 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

exactly the same as for the rest of the year.
    you want your house to be your favourite temperature all year round.
    Just because its colder outside doesn’t mean you want the temperature hotter inside than you would have it in Spring, Summer and Autumn.

amedias
    Free Member

what alfabus said!

FWIW – our house is a 1919 3 bed terrace, with an mildly insulated loft and no double glazing so not exactly great at keeping the heat in, definitely cheaper to warm up for a few hours here and there than run at the same temp all day.

heating controls set as follows

6am – 8:30am – 17deg (to warm up for us getting up)
    8:30am – 5pm – 14deg
    5pm – 7pm – 18deg (to warm up for us getting in)
    7pm – 11pm – 16deg
    11pm -6am – 14deg

If we are cold we generally wear more clothes or use the woodburner (now I’ve finally had the chimney swept!). Sometimes we might bump it up a couple of degrees during the day but its rare.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the temp to be warm summers day in the Sinai, thats about 44C, which is just enough to stop the paint from melting off the skirting boards.
    No slippers here, barefoot and boardshorts all year round.

Suggest you do the same.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

death ears!

?? 😆

Do people seriously have the heating on overnight? I can’t sleep with the heating on AT ALL. It was -5 here last night and, like every other night of the year, the heating went off about 10pm and we slept with the window open.

jonba
    Free Member

What is the right temp to set the central heating during the winter months?

No thermostat so ours is on or off.

I try and keep the house comfortable if you are wearing proper clothes (jumper, slippers). If you need to put on a woolly hat it is too cold, if you can get away with just a T shirt then it is too warm.

4 bed three floor victorian terrace with minimal insulation so to keep it at 22°C like my current office would be stupidly expensive. It is probably closer to 16°C. Adjusted the radiators so the lounge is warmer as I’m in there in the evenings.

maccruiskeen

Do people seriously have the heating on overnight? I can’t sleep with the heating on AT ALL

heating off and window open. Close the window if it drops blow -10 outside.

rocketman
    Free Member

Do people seriously have the heating on overnight?

Nope the heating goes off at 9:30 no matter how cold it is 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Just for comparison:
    3 bedroom bungalow, no insulation other than old double glazing, central heating set to maintain somwhere between 20-22oC (no thermostat, it’s all done off the boiler panel) and on 24/7, costs us about £70/month in gas.

alfabus
    Free Member

Do people seriously have the heating on overnight?

As mentioned before, we have this amazing device called a THERMOSTAT. So yes, we have our heating on (it is always on), but it only produces heat when needed. We choose the temperature, and the magic thermostat does the rest.

What this means effectively, is that our heating is not doing any heating over night, as the house has enough warmth to get through the night without topping up.

Dave

transapp
    Free Member

I love threads like this.

Would you believe it, some people like warmer houses than others. Some like it warmer at night than others. Some are tighter than others. Some thermostats may not actually regulate to the temperature on the device and some people I wonder how they actually manage to get out of bed and hit the floor with both feet with such complete inability to make a decision!

johnners
    Free Member

My heating controls itself, that is why I have a thermostat!

Well, that’s up to you but in my house I control the thermostat. Sometimes I want it warmer, like when I’m sitting on my bum watching a film, sometimes i want it cooler because I’m beavering about doing housework or DIY or whatever. Leaving the thermostat at the same setting all the time regardless makes no sense.

Kryton57

What transapp said ^^

For the record, 23 degrees daytime, 21 at night according to the thermostat in the downstairs hall – and we have radiator thingy’s. Qualifications are:

a) We have a small baby (baby monitor never goes over 20)
    b) Mrs Kryton has caribbean blood and is home all day (maternity)
    c) I too like wandering around in bare feet and board shorts in my own home, and don’t see any comfort sitting on the sofa with 3 jumpers

richc
    Free Member

Nope the heating goes off at 9:30 no matter how cold it is

Then I suspect your house isn’t getting that cold. As when mine drops below 7 degrees, shivering wakes you up.

globalti
    Free Member

Thermostat?

Have a look at this little beauty: http://www.nest.com/

I emailed the manufacturers in the US and they told me they have no plans for the moment to bring it to the UK. If you watch the video you’ll understand why converting it will be quite a big job.

mudshark
    Free Member

For the record, 23 degrees daytime, 21 at night according to the thermostat in the downstairs hall – and we have radiator thingy’s. Qualifications are:

a) We have a small baby (baby monitor never goes over 20)

How much is your heating bill?

My thermostat is set at 16 or so, no-one complains – not even the baby though he’s a toddler now. Tough little chap I suppose. Mind you, in the 70s how many had central heating? We didn’t, woke up in the winter with ice on the inside of the windows. It’s what you’re used to so don’t get used to hot temperatures I say.

Kryton57

How much is your heating bill?

Hard to tell, we moved here in May so have been through an annual cycle / enough to change the Bill yet, and the boiler is a super efficient 2yo Valiant (so I’m told). But in the old house no thermostat/10yo boiler is was £69 a month (gas)so I’m hoping it’ll come down a bit.

It was obvious through the autumn this house retains its heat more as the thermostat never displayed less than 19 until about the beginning of November.

patriotpro
    Free Member

As far as thermostats go, that ‘nest’ is very nice indeed. :mrgreen:

footflaps

As far as thermostats go, that ‘nest’ is very nice indeed.

Aimed at US systems with 24v DC control… add a relay and it could be adapted for UK systems.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Then I suspect your house isn’t getting that cold. As when mine drops below 7 degrees, shivering wakes you up. “

winter duvet much ?

my heating is only on at 4.30 am to get the house warm to get up to and to warm up my cycling kit for the ride in.

Its set to keep it above 14 all day – but it rarely drops below that.

richc
    Free Member

winter duvet much ?

Yep

When your house drops below 8 its pretty cold and not that pleasant to sleep in, unless you have a sleeping bag. If your house is at 14, at its lowest that’s pretty toasty!

chvck
    Free Member

We don’t have a thermostat, downstairs is electric storage heaters and upstairs is just electric (not fan) heaters. According to my clocks with thermometers in them (so highly accurate…. or not) downstairs during the day is usually about 18 and the bedroom is around 13 or 14 overnight. We’re currently using the storage heaters and I’m considering turning on the heater in the bedroom as 13 degrees is not conducive to getting out of bed and going to work…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What is the right temp to set the central heating during the winter months?’ is closed to new replies.